Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its amazing how great everyone seems to think he is, yet no one is trying to poach him. And he is actively pursuing smaller head coaching jobs too and they aren’t taking him. I’d be willing to see what he does without Willie as he is awful, but it’s fascinating how everyone thinks he is a top flight DC.

I don't feel like anyone is really saying that...I know I'm not, "better than Pruitt & company" isn't exactly a high bar to surpass.

But no team has both an amazing offense AND amazing defense. So with Heupel here our defense is always going to be in the shadows a bit. We just need a DC that is above average. If he's in the top 50% in the SEC then he's good enough.

I've thought about some of this a lot lately. I will share this not to sway any of you, but to share my perspective on our current circumstances. It may also provide some insight on my posts.

When we had Fulmer we had every advantage people imagine today about Saban. We had NFL studs stacked like firewood at grandpa's cabin. We love to look back now and cite that as our major disadvantage today, which is fair.

As an impressionable teen though what I wished for was not that we had more studs, but that we had a guy like Spurrier. One man that seemingly managed to mitigate all those studs we had. One singular diabolical country ******* that could negate our Manning and beat us with Weurffel, and provide a snarky sound bite to rub our noses in it. That is not to say I did not also worship Fulmer. My single greatest memory is watching us beat FL in the driving rain in Neyland in 92 at Fulmer's first foray as our coach. My parents also went to school with Fulmer and my dad played football on the same fields he did. Admittedly my dad was undersized and Fulmer was always larger than life. That's woven into my psyche and will never be taken from me.

What I believe today is that we have in Heupel a guy that cares like Fulmer, played like Fulmer, and hates to lose like Fulmer, but can scheme like Spurrier

Heupel has that unique way of seeing this game that allows him to take a washed up QB from VT and make him a Heisman contender, and to beat teams on paper he shouldn't have.

If you take those gifts and pair him with an exceptional QB like Nico the sky is truly the limit. Maybe give it at least this year before you pine for your next Spurrier or your next Manning.

I agree with most of this. Heupel is our Spurrier without the mouth. Where I disagree is your take on the talent level of those Florida teams. In those days where regional recruiting was the thing, those teams from Florida, Florida State, and especially Miami were on par if not more talented than anyone else not named USC and Texas.

He sure as hell ain't getting a job anywhere else. Nobody's going to steal him. 🤣
See...I remember how a lot of us dumbasses here said the same crap you've said about Banks all year when Justin Wilcox was here...for a lot of the same reasons....and I remember what the roster was like then too..and I remember what happened next...😥

Turns out he was pretty good at his job and all of us know-it-all dumbasses didn't know 💩

I also remember a guy named Jancek that the same crap was said about over and over by a lot of us dumbasses..so we joyously "upgraded" ourself to Shoop and celebrated profusely...Shoop then proceeded to put a total horror show out there...😭

Unlike you...I've learned my lesson from those disasters...the defense is definitely not the kind I would like to see...but it sure as hell ain't as bad as it could be either.

Place your odds on which of these records Nico breaks first

Single Season Passing Yards: 3,819 (Peyton in 97)
Single Season Touchdowns: 36 (Peyton in 97)
Single Game Passing Yards: 530 (Bray in 12)
Single Game Touchdowns: 7 (Ainge in 07)
Single Season Passing Completions: 325 (Ainge in 07)
Single Game Passing Completions: 37 (Bray in 12)
Season TD's.

Him, Chuck Webb, and Alvin (can you imagine Alvin in Heupel's offense...hell, in anyone competent's offense??).

If Reggie Cobb could've kept his head on straight, who knows how much bigger his legend could be. His redshirt freshman year, he rushed for 1200 yds and 17 TDs, and had 200 yds receiving with 3 more TDs.

My favorite though was Cheese. All time leading rusher in school history, and had only one year where he was truly The Man. People sometimes forget, Lewis went down in the fourth game of the 98 season (Auburn). The next week in Athens, it wasn't Henry who got the start, it was Travis Stephens, who went for over 100 that game. Cheese didn't take over starting duties until the sixth game of the season, and almost rushed for 1000 yds on the season. The next year, he split time with a returning Jamal.

Wasn’t it Sean Ellis who dubbed him Cheese? He told reporters that Henry was harder than a block of welfare cheese.

Reactions: SmokinBob
Place your odds on which of these records Nico breaks first

Single Season Passing Yards: 3,819 (Peyton in 97)
Single Season Touchdowns: 36 (Peyton in 97)
Single Game Passing Yards: 530 (Bray in 12)
Single Game Touchdowns: 7 (Ainge in 07)
Single Season Passing Completions: 325 (Ainge in 07)
Single Game Passing Completions: 37 (Bray in 12)
As much as Heupel likes to run the ball...I don't know if any of those records will be broken...but I do believe years like Hendon had last year will be in play...so any of them could fall if we get good enough WR and OL play

The total TD (rushing and passing) record was not listed...and I think that is the one likeliest to fall to Nico.

As much as Heupel likes to run the ball...I don't know if any of those records will be broken...but I do believe years like Hendon had last year will be in play...so any of them could fall if we get good enough WR and OL play

The total TD (rushing and passing) record was not listed...and I think that is the one likeliest to fall to Nico.
with 12 regular season games, plus bowl game stats now counting toward these records, i could see a couple of them going down....just more opportunity nowadays.

Yoo what the hell is happening on Twitter with Rockytopology? 👀
Apparently the guy who used to run the account got outed as a Pedo, and he gave the account to someone new who didn't know that so when he posted people thought it was the other guy. Now the new guy is trying to re brand the account as something else.

Reactions: KptVFL
See...I remember how a lot of us dumbasses here said the same crap you've said about Banks all year when Justin Wilcox was here...for a lot of the same reasons....and I remember what the roster was like then too..and I remember what happened next...😥

Turns out he was pretty good at his job and all of us know-it-all dumbasses didn't know 💩

I also remember a guy named Jancek that the same crap was said about over and over by a lot of us dumbasses..so we joyously "upgraded" ourself to Shoop and celebrated profusely...Shoop then proceeded to put a total horror show out there...😭

Unlike you...I've learned my lesson from those disasters...the defense is definitely not the kind I would like to see...but it sure as hell ain't as bad as it could be either.
Sure it could be worse but it could much better. I've seen the same ish over and over and over. Rushing 3-4, sitting back in a soft zone giving up 3rd and 4th of 10, 20, 30 yards. Times where the DBs were 10 yards behind the sticks. Much of that isn't talent related.

If a coordinator needs superior talent, out talent the other team, to be successful, is he really all that good of a coach? Coach Heupel had similar talent levels on offense yet he's able to maximize that talent and get 💯 out of it. He's been here 3 seasons and the same 🦬💩 keeps happening.

I agree with most of this. Heupel is our Spurrier without the mouth. Where I disagree is your take on the talent level of those Florida teams. In those days where regional recruiting was the thing, those teams from Florida, Florida State, and especially Miami were on par if not more talented than anyone else not named USC and Texas.
Totally fair. I just never felt we didn't have enough talent to win. I did feel like we got outschemed. I remember all the adults talking about our 3 yards and a cloud of dust getting killed by the fun and gun.

Likely. I'd look at a talented OL from a lessor team/league who's hungry to prove himself at the SEC level vs getting into a bidding war for guys making lateral moves for the payday like kiffin is doing. Think we've seen that with our portal guys not named Staes. Time will tell which approach works best.
This staff searches for fit, not team. If a guy fits their parameters, they don't seem to place a lot of weight on where he comes from. Other schools have different strategies, like promising rival players more PT or NIL. Using peer-to-peer recruiting to make a player feel undervalued where he is works well on some guys.

Apparently the guy who used to run the account got outed as a Pedo, and he gave the account to someone new who didn't know that so when he posted people thought it was the other guy. Now the new guy is trying to re brand the account as something else.

I’m just talking about the whole pedo aspect of this story. Didn’t even know about the new ownership of account or anything

Reactions: KptVFL
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back