Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huskies can pay well, but that’s besides the point. Bama isn’t paying any of the currently mentioned guys 11.

Even if Bama gets one of their top guys, the new coach isn’t going to have control over the money/power brokers in Tuscaloosa like Saban had. That was probably the “best” thing about him as a coach, everyone in that wretched town was pulling in the same direction at his direction.

With the new coach, after a loss or two, they will turn on him and start the tailspin.
I will be excited to revisit this unless it falls to Rees.

I’m not sure why you would want that job after Saban basically said on TV yesterday that he plans to stay around the program and help out. It’s going to be extremely tough for any coach to just do his own job. He’ll be constantly asked to run things by Saban or Saban will interject when he thinks something needs to be changed.

Sounds like a nightmare.
Eh, if that's how it's gonna work maybe Rees will be the best fit.

Bama fans will melt down and everyone here will take a victory lap. But if Ryan Day can succeed under Urban Meyer leaving under more abrupt conditions, why can't Tommy Rees succeed? Especially with uncle Nicky looking over him.

And by succeed I mean under realistic expectations. No one is going to replicate what Saban did. Not DeBoer or anyone else on their list.

Reactions: DD4ME and peaygolf
Yeah, I don't see Saban riding off into the sunset. His presence will loom large at the football facility for several years to come. Who wants to work under that? As soon as the program palpably starts slipping, the Tuscaloosa brass will be in hushed meetings with Saban discussing the new guy's successor.
THIS.

I think part of the reason some of these guys are turning bama down is for this very reason... bad enough you will be following Saban and the expectations will be through the roof... Then add in the fact that you KNOW Saban will be there on and off, lurking, advising, no way he just leaves... If I am a coach coming in, I am not having the previous coach "still in the building"...

Here is the thing about DeBoer.

In his 18 years since 1st becoming a HC he's had 7 different jobs. Average time in a job 2.5 years. Now some of that includes promotions at schools he coached at, but conclusion is he's a climber.

The question is does a career climber want to jump in the 🐐's throne?
I think Debor is a good coach, but he doesn't fit the Bama culture at all.
Will he cheat to win at all costs? He really doesn't have any Southern recruiting connections. Lastly, if you watched that Michigan game, Michigan just physically dominated Washington, his teams wouldn't survive this league.

I think he would keep them decent bit overall he just doesn't scare me.

Huskies can pay well, but that’s besides the point. Bama isn’t paying any of the currently mentioned guys 11.

Even if Bama gets one of their top guys, the new coach isn’t going to have control over the money/power brokers in Tuscaloosa like Saban had. That was probably the “best” thing about him as a coach, everyone in that wretched town was pulling in the same direction at his direction.

With the new coach, after a loss or two, they will turn on him and start the tailspin.

Kind of assumed this is why Saban is sticking around as a consultant. He will keep everyone in line, including Birmingham and will meddle with the NCAA too for fun.

I think what many overlook on the salary side is that every time we have a major coaching disruption everyone levels up. Current top rates are now 10+. Everyone impacted when this is all done will level up. 5-6 million is now bottom tier or lower conference money. It's the kind of salary that will make your coach look elsewhere. 9 million is now top 25 money, but I bet that inches to 10 now. The other thing is contract terms. Jimbo broke the old 2-3 model and we aren't going back imo.

Bama AD wanted Lanning, Sarkisian second, imo; but, Bama fans absolutely wanted, and thought they could get, Kirby.
Which shows just how stupid a large section of that fanbase is.

Why on earth would a successful coach ever leave UGA for Bama? They must went back to huffing spray paint if they think Bama offers anything that is not comparable or better at UGA.

Now excuse me as I wash my mouth out for saying nice things about Georgia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back