Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wisconsin defensive efficiency metrics in Leonhard’s 6 seasons are all better. WAY better than the garbage Banks has thrown together the last 3 years. Leonhard also coaches the secondary (great at it). Did way more with less at Wisconsin. Banks is a MAC conference coach
that was in the big 10…. last year… 5 of the team ppg allowed defenses were from that conference.

I couldn’t rewatch the game. Did we play any man to man. It’s weird we play the wide open zones. Our guys are still getting beat just play man. It’s not that we lost to Florida, it’s how we looked. OL looked piss poor, Milton throwing the ball up for the pick was random and crazy ass hell. It’s like we didn’t have a game plan. Florida on the other hand, looked like they probably worked on beating us all off season.
Ever since Tim Shanks has been here all we’ve done is run shallow zone concepts that leave the short throws wide open which leaves our DL put to dry and our db’s cant tackle worth a flip

Reactions: InVOLuntary
Should Sanders be suspended for poking a CSU player in the eye intentionally?

The CSU defensive player should not be suspended. That's ridiculous
dude are you kidding me?

Do you know how furious we would be if a South Carolina player did that to Wright or Squirrel? He came in and cheap shotted the receiver. He knew exactly what he was doing.

It should have been targeting in the game, because that's what it was.

Yes we would have. A dick move is a dick move. The CSU player went out of his way to deliver a late hit with the intent to injure Colorado's best player.
Don't think the intent to hurt...I think it was meant to be an attention getter....saying I'm here to play....old school ...

dude are you kidding me?

Do you know how furious we would be if a South Carolina player did that Wright or Squirrel?

He got flagged for it. UGA players have torn acls of Tennessee players and us to them. No one demanded a suspension for "every game". Take a lap on that lol

He got flagged for it. UGA players have torn acls of Tennessee players and us to them. No one demanded a suspension for "every game". Take a lap on that lol
I meant every game that Hunter is out, so I went back and updated that language. Not every game for the season, that is ridiculous

True. Aggressive pricing was risky, and the support was not universal. It was driven by the expectation of continued momentum and success. The narrative that this was viewed as a rebuild or bridge year is false. The team goal was to win the East as a steppingstone to being a playoff contender. A paradigm shift in college sports means using the portal and NIL to keep rosters stocked to win. Significant investments come with an expectation of return.
Any word on Tim banks? Many view him as a bridge coordinator/discount coach due to the situation at the time of his hiring not being able to attract top flight coordinator/position coaches at most positions. Think they’ll make a move or a few at seasons end if this thing goes down to 8-4 again?

Last edited:
Reactions: knoxvol52
Any word on Tim banks? Many view him as a bridge coordinator/discount coach due to the situation at the time of his hiring not being able to attract top flight coordinator/position coaches at most positions. Think they’ll make a move or a few at seasons end of this thing goes down to 8-4 again?
Not even going to ask about the bozo coaching the corners. He didn’t get renewed last year.

1.) we don't have nearly as many members as we should

2.) even if every single Vols fan were a member, it's not always about the money

3.) even still, it's better to have more money (= resources) (= advantages), so hopefully our fans get on board

4.) we will have to lure no less than THREE, possibly FOUR transfer OL this year. Not just bodies, we need starters looking for a better situation (or more $). So our fans better get on board or this isn't going to take off like we hope it does.
Lol. Always the message board fan’s fault. Bama and UGA mounted some great crowd-sourced fan fundraisers in pre-NIL days to build their teams. Maybe the athletic dept should be directing some big donors to Spyre, instead of renovating meaningless crap for the hundredth time or putting in extra Jumbotrons. So annoying when we hear this whining that a bunch of message board morans like us are the reason we can’t recruit, when this school has an endless pot of money and resources to pull from.

A data point that some may opt to consider –

I don't mean to get anyone riled up; I'm just trying to be informative. Trust me. lol.

Dante Moore

The circumstances are never the same.

On December 19, 2022 Dante Moore decommitted from the Oregon Ducks and committed to the UCLA Bruins and Chip Kelly.

On July 12, 2023 Dante Moore enrolled at UCLA.

Ethan Garbers was the #4 ranked (nationally) QB in the class of 2020 (rating 94) out of California. He signed with Washington out of high school but after not getting any snaps his freshman year, in December 2020 transferred to UCLA. In 2021 and 2022 he backed up Dorian Thompson-Robinson who was drafted by the Cleveland Browns in the 5th round of the 2023 NFL draft.

Finally in 2023 Ethan gets his shot as he starts the season at QB for the Bruins at home in the Rose Bowl against Coastal Carolina. The Bruins get a short field after a stellar KO return and their offense starts at the Coastal 22-yard line. Garbers leads the short drive and earns the TD. His next series he takes over on his 20 and marches the Bruin offense down the field to the Coastal 8 yard line where on 3rd and 6 he throws an interception in the endzone.

Grayson McCall for Coastal on his first drive had led the team down the field for a field goal attempt with the ball on the 23 yard line. The FG attempt was no good. On his second drive again McCall marched Coastal down the field for another FG attempt. This time from the 12-yard line it was good.

Ethan’s 3rd drive for UCLA stalls at mid field. They punt. Coastal punts on their next possession as well, a 3 and out.

Possession UCLA. True freshman Dante Moore enters the game at QB for the Bruins. Dan-te, Dan-te, Dan-te, chants ring out across the Rose Bowl and it’s 43,705 announced fan attendance (capacity 92,542). lol

Moore leads a 6 play 61 yard TD drive including a 39 yard pass and the 14 yard scoring strike. Dan-te, Dan-te, Dan-te.

McCall leads Coastal back down the field for another FG with 2 seconds left in the half.

On the first possession of the 2nd half McCall lead Coastal on a 9 play 75 yard TD drive. Score 14-13 UCLA.

Garbers gets the 2nd half start for the Bruins, converts a 3rd and 4 with an 18 yard pass for the first down, then throws his 2nd interception on the very next play. Garbers made the tackle on the interception return.

McCall leads a 9 play 39 yard drive that ends in an interception.

Garbers is back out there for the Bruins. The Bruins go 3 and out.

McCall leads a 10 play 61 yard drive that ends in a missed FG.

Dante Moore returns for the next series for UCLA. Dan-te, Dan-te, Dan-te.

On the first snap of his second possession, Dante hits his X receiver for a 62 yard TD. DAN-TE, DAN-TE, DAN-TE.

The story is still being written but in that moment the 2023 UCLA Bruins became Dante Moore’s team. He’s 3 and 0 and currently has the 5th highest NCAA passer rating in the country (205.42) on 51 attempts with 7 TDs and 1 interception. He’s completing 62.7% of his passes at 12.1 yards per attempt. They've beat Coastal and BRADY HOKE’S San Diego State Aztecs, the latter on the road. They’ve also beat #17 ranked FCS NC Central. This week the Bruins go on the road for maybe their first real test of the season as they face two-time defending PAC-12 champion Utah in SLC. Utah is expecting Cam Rising to start this week. Utah is a 4.5 to 5 point favorite in the matchup. Kickoff is at 3:30 ET.

Both Tennessee and UCLA essentially have 3-star OLines though UCLA’s line personnel is significantly lower rated by the 247 composite. We’ve allowed 3 sacks; they’ve allowed 4. We’ve allowed 9 TFL’s; they’ve allowed 11. Both of those metrics are among the best in the nation.

At running back they have Carson Steele; we have Jaylen Wright.

In the 2023 class Arch Manning was the #1 rated QB but everyone knew that wasn’t real and more and more people in the industry are willing to admit it. Nico Iamaleava was actually the #1 rated QB in the 2023 class and Dante Moore was the #2 rated QB in the class. All three had a 100 rating from 247 but as noted in the case of Nico and Dante it was real. jmo.

According to 247 Dante may be a more polished passer coming out of high school but he has no real mobility, something that was perceived as a real strength for Nico. jmo.

I just thought for anyone not following UCLA or 18-year old elite QBs starting at P5 programs in 2023 this might be an interesting story.

In the AP top 25 released on Sunday, UCLA was ranked #22; we’re at #23. They’ve been moving up and we’ve been moving not up. jmo.

When Nico went into the game in Nashville fans did chant Nico, Nico, Nico. Nico was playing with the 2's at best. Dante has been playing with UCLA's 1s. On his first possession Nico led a TD drive against the Virginia defense. I've wonder how he might fare if he had a few possessions with our 1's.

I figure this post may upset a number of people but really, I’m not trying to start anything, much. I’m just saying this is an interesting and maybe timely story. Don’t you think? lol.

Does anyone else hear a chant building up across Big Orange Nation? lol

Cue the guy getting thrown in the dumpster gif. lol

Basilio saying that Ollie Lane wanted to hang up his cleats after last year and the staff talked him out of it. No idea if true, but Basilio has been saying that there are issues on the O line, going back to camp. He was correct.

Can’t be true. VolNation assured us that the OL was not a concern. UF performance doesn’t count prolly.

When he just shoulder bumped him and then just ran beside him. I was so confused
And then he was in range for a tackle for 5 or 6 steps. And then he just somersaulted instead of trying for his feet.

I definitely see why people are accusing him of fixing. Personally I think he's just that bad.

Lol. Always the message board fan’s fault. Bama and UGA mounted some great crowd-sourced fan fundraisers in pre-NIL days to build their teams. Maybe the athletic dept should be directing some big donors to Spyre, instead of renovating meaningless crap for the hundredth time or putting in extra Jumbotrons. So annoying when we hear this whining that a bunch of message board morans like us are the reason we can’t recruit, when this school has an endless pot of money and resources to pull from.
There's a lot to unpack here.

Bama and UGA mounted some great crowd-sourced fan fundraisers in pre-NIL days to build their teams.
That's right. Add Clemson to that list. Now that it's legal, a lot of these Pre-NIL recruiting Machine$ are largely useless. Which is why you hear those same coaches from those programs whining about salary cap. So they can put their boosters back to work under the table.

Maybe the athletic dept should be directing some big donors to Spyre
They do, and the donors contribute as well.

instead of renovating meaningless crap for the hundredth time or putting in extra Jumbotrons
hear hear

So annoying when we hear this whining that a bunch of message board morans like us are the reason we can’t recruit
NIL is not the be-all-end-all in recruiting. NIL is a tool to manage the roster. It is not the ONLY way to keep and attract top talent, but it is a resource that can give a program like Tennessee an advantage. Like the old adage says, "Football is a game of inches." Winning is about creating and maximizing advantages, in every way. For us, NIL is an advantage. It is not the answer to all of our problems. It does not mean we will get every recruit we want or bring in the best player from every other team in the country. However, it can give us the edge, or get us in the conversation, for the best talent. That is an advantage. When it comes to maintaining or reconstructing/improving our roster, the fans' contributions to the Vol Club help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back