Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
We throttled LSU last year and they followed it up with four straight including victories over UF and Bama.

All we can do is win this weekend and then beat SC to go to 4-1 at the break. Good chance to be 5-1 headed to Alabama.

I’d really like to see how Joe and the offense perform with Cooper at center and Mincey not being an idiot.

I love Heup and want him here a while. But some of his answers recently seem very weird. Almost as if he is not even sure what to do with this offense and players. Something is amuck.
Does anyone think that everyone in the sports administration is telling him .."How can you bench the possible Heisman winner type stuff"...the good will and philanthropy and his being described as a team leader was loud. Could it be possible to immediately bench this guy and go with a true Freshman?

Heupel stating that Joe is still throwing the ball to all the right spots making the right decisions tells me that the play calling is crap.
He’s covering for Joe—I don’t believe him at all. Not to mention the egregious interception.

Our offense just looks clunky. We aren’t getting tempo. We are wasting timeouts because Milton is trying to change the play late in the clock. We can’t get set. Our protections aren’t set. Some of this may be on Cooper but Joe has to get into a better rhythm with this stuff.

Does anyone think that everyone in the sports administration is telling him .."How can you bench the possible Heisman winner type stuff"...the good will and philanthropy and his being described as a team leader was loud. Could it be possible to immediately bench this guy and go with a true Freshman?
As stated previously, that’s what UCLA did. Clemson benched Bryant for Lawrence. Kirby should have benched Fromm for Fields. If you have a QB not getting the job done, and there’s a freshman, talented QB ready—you do what’s best for the team.

Obviously none of us are privy to that but there is 100% precedent to do this.

He’s covering for Joe—I don’t believe him at all. Not to mention the egregious interception.

Our offense just looks clunky. We aren’t getting tempo. We are wasting timeouts because Milton is trying to change the play late in the clock. We can’t get set. Our protections aren’t set. Some of this may be on Cooper but Joe has to get into a better rhythm with this stuff.
The interception was on the oline just as much as joe… huepel said he told joe he can’t just toss it up like that

Saturday sucked ass and still pissed about it. But y’all are acting like we just started the season 1-2 with a loss to UF and Virginia. Still a lot to play for and improvements that can be made. Going 5-1 into Tuscaloosa is still a good possibility

I think people are frustrated because we don’t pass the eye test. We just look sloppy and aren’t playing to full potential. There’s just something “off” about the whole team. If that continues then USCe is very likely a loss.

I'll look for your first point. I know that about our LBs. I was't saying our DL got pushed around always. I was saying that when Mertz was outside the pocket (I should have specified in the first half) it seemed to me our Edge or SDE had taken an inside lane. Otherwise Mertz would have been trapped. I'll look again when I can stand to. 😂

No really, give it another look. You’ll see some lackluster play from Baron and Hadden but overall our line wasn’t playing terrible.

I know, but I believe LA has mentioned that black technically isn't in our official color palate with Nike, and it was just a special favor because of Pruitt running his mouth in 2020.
So they might not be.
I feel like if it was just for a pruitt thing that we wouldn’t have worn them last year

Saturday sucked ass and still pissed about it. But y’all are acting like we just started the season 1-2 with a loss to UF and Virginia. Still a lot to play for and improvements that can be made. Going 5-1 into Tuscaloosa is still a good possibility
It's not that, UGA looks human, Bama looks gettable. Losing to Florida shut what was a pretty wide open door to Atlanta. That's where most of my frustrations are. Sure finishing at 9 wins is cute, but it just leads to a pointless bowl game. Getting to Atlanta in year 3 would've been a huge step forward.

I think people are frustrated because we don’t pass the eye test. We just look sloppy and aren’t playing to full potential. There’s just something “off” about the whole team. If that continues then USCe is very likely a loss.

They don’t believe. That’s what is off. For the offense.

Defense got to cocky and thought they could do as the pleased against a Florida offense that has been lackluster. Several players didn’t give full effort. We need a young player to stand up and hold all these seniors accountable.

Was yeeting the ball up like a punt to the gator defender while getting sacked the correct decision? Heupel isn’t gonna humiliate him publicly
There was a wr wiiiiiiiiiiiiiide open down the field. Don't remember who it was but he was Hyatt open. Joe gets slightly better pass pro that's a long TD.

On review I'm actually more confused by all of this... The big running plays that surprised us all resulted from uncalled holds. The stupid run by Milton was the result of an uncalled face mask. The crucial drive that had to happen for us to have a chance to come back? Ref kicks the ball. And so much more that happened in that game.

That's a lot of stuff that shouldn't have happened. Hadden not even attempting to tackle is about the only thing that does make sense and that's because Hadden does inexplicable ish all the time. It makes figuring out where we are and what our problems really are that much harder.

On Milton... I think he has big time issues when it comes to improvising. Joe's great at following orders but not so great at coming up with something on the fly. I think he's prone to overthinking (somewhat similar to Dobbs in that way) which is why when we sped up and just threw at the end of the game Milton did do better. Yes, his passes were hot but his WRs have gotten enough from him at this point to where they're holding on to those. I think we seriously need to run fast with Joe - don't give him time to think. Also, whoever the QB is going forward has to run even if they suck at running. The OL needs the help. Screens are great against lesser opponents but they don't win conference games and they won't win games against any college team with decent talent. We need to be throwing down field.

If Joe would just take off every now and then and truck some fool, it would inject some life into the offense. Gahhhhhhh. It’s all about him.

As much as I am not a Joe believer, Joey Halzle is really not getting enough criticism. He’s got some toys to play with and we just suck.

That’s his fault. His offense looks like Randy Sanders in fast forward.

Normally I wait until after much of the weekly radio shows are in and we’ve had coach and player interviews and I’ve had a chance to rewatch the film before I write my report. I’ve jumped ahead this week and am doing the report in excerpts.

I listened to a little bit of Coach Doug Matthews but didn’t hear anything different than what most fans are saying. He talks more like a fan I think than an analyst or coach. jmo.

I sort of gave up on Matthews a few years ago. I listen to the 1st hour of the Erik Ainge show because his take is usually more detailed and he adds some insight from the QB perspective. I think the 1st hour is sufficient to get his take and after that I sort of run out of patience for him and Brian. Then I’ll catch Pat Ryan and Jeff Francis on the Big Orange Hotline show. Most of the time they give their unvarnished assessment so I like to hear what they may have to say. I also like to hear from the guys on the radio during the postgame show, mostly Troy Fleming. I think he mostly tells it like he sees it. jmo.

For film review it takes a while for me because I rewatch a lot of plays multiple times. So far I’ve only made it through the 1st quarter. In his media appearance today Heupel said there were times in the game when our defense didn’t play with effort. I think there are a number of plays in the 1st quarter where that is blatantly evident. jmo.

Anyway, Ainge said our OL did okay in pass blocking but in run blocking one guy seem to get beat on most plays. It was mostly a different guy each time. Based on game grades from PFF it was mostly Ollie Lane, Andrej Karic, and Jeremiah Crawford. Ainge said they were not consistent and in most cases just got beat. He questioned their physicality, reminding his listeners that football is still a game of violence. I kept waiting for him to say the guys were soft but he didn’t go that far. I’m not sure if he thinks they can be better but he and Brian did think the OL would be better when we get Mays and Mincey back.

Ainge didn’t think Joe played bad which a lot of fans have also said. He said the issue is Joe doesn’t seem to be able to win the game for you. He’s apparently limited on what he can do and the offense and the playcalling is designed around that. We moved the ball pretty well but most times couldn’t get into the redzone because the drives would end for one reason or another.

Heupel had said on the radio postgame show that “we have to make some changes.” I was listening, probably foolishly, to his media appearance today to see if he would say any more about that. He didn’t. It’s pretty rare I think for him to deviate from coach speak and other than the bit about lack of effort by the defense I didn’t hear anything new. jmo.

I’ve updated the tables for snaps and grades for all the guys who played on offense and defense. The average grade is calculated [(G1 Snaps X G1 Grade)+(G2 Snaps X G2 Grade)+(G3 Snaps X G3 Grade)]/Total Snaps for the season, so that one high grade with fewer snaps doesn’t skew the average. jmo.
ScreenHunter 1167.png
ScreenHunter 1168.png

It's not that, UGA looks human, Bama looks gettable. Losing to Florida shut what was a pretty wide open door to Atlanta. That's where most of my frustrations are. Sure finishing at 9 wins is cute, but it just leads to a pointless bowl game. Getting to Atlanta in year 3 would've been a huge step forward.
Yea I agree… I said before UF game it might be the most important one of the season. We’ll see how they respond these next 2 weeks. If we’re 5-1 and playing great heading into ttown it’ll be a crazy 2nd half of the year

The later would be an unnecessary and brutal wake up call.

Reactions: Jack Burton
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back