Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saturday's player absences aren't strange within the context of how this staff operates. CJH considers team business to be team business, not shared outside the program. A player being "unavailable" may be injured or not available as a matter of discipline. He could be suspended for violating team rules, restricted due to an internal situation or held back because another player "earned" PT with a better week of practice. CJH prefers not to address any of it outside the program. It may not make sense to the media, but the staff is deliberate in how they handle situations internally.

Saturday sucked ass and still pissed about it. But y’all are acting like we just started the season 1-2 with a loss to UF and Virginia. Still a lot to play for and improvements that can be made. Going 5-1 into Tuscaloosa is still a good possibility
The margin of error is small, especially in this league. Clean up the offensive penalties and missed tackles on d, commit to being the most aggressive team on the field on both sides of the ball, and this team can be everything we hoped it would be.

The margin of error is small, especially in this league. Clean up the offensive penalties and missed tackles on d, commit to being the most aggressive team on the field on both sides of the ball, and this team can be everything we hoped it would be.
So, if they just play 100% opposite of the way they played against Florida, they can be everything we hoped they would be. Wonderful.

Saturday's player absences aren't strange within the context of how this staff operates. CJH considers team business to be team business, not shared outside the program. A player being "unavailable" may be injured or not available as a matter of discipline. He could be suspended for violating team rules, restricted due to an internal situation or held back because another player "earned" PT with a better week of practice. CJH prefers not to address any of it outside the program. It may not make sense to the media, but the staff is deliberate in how they handle situations internally.
I appreciate that
Keep **** in house

Looks pretty clear that the CSU players pokes at Sander’s face right before but gets blocked by his visor. This is typical rivalry behavior. The hit on hunter was not. Seems intentionally obtuse to argue otherwise.
Yeah, would need to see video. I can't see in the still what you describe. I don't really care, one way or the other, anyway. Not my circus.

Reactions: berryvol
It makes perfect sense to anyone who supports the team.

I don't think hes saying we have a Summitt Blue football uniform that's popular with LV alum. He's saying Summitt Blue is now an official color with our Nike contract and it's popular with the LV teams. The LVs all have a Summitt Blue uniform combination, not men's teams.
Phew. Thank you. I was worried for a minute because of people in this thread last year arguing that we should do a Pat tribute and wear blue and orange uniforms once year every year.

Last edited:
Something else maybe to consider –

In 2022 we rushed for 227 yards in our win against Florida.

Generally it’s accepted that if you want to stop our offense, or really most offenses, you need to stop the run and make that offense one-dimensional.

This year we rushed for 100 yards against Florida.

Looking again at last year, Jabari Small rushed 19 times for 90 yards. Jaylen Wright rushed 10 times for 25 yards. That’s a total of 115 yards.

This year Jaylen Wright rushed 16 times for 63 yards and Jabari Small rushed 7 times for 35 yards. That’s a total of 98 yards, not a whole lot of difference, right?

Last year Hendon Hooker rushed 13 times for 112 yards, including 3 sacks.

Bru McCoy had 2 yards rushing this year so that got us to 100. Joe was credited with at least 5 rushing attempts including 1 sack for a net of 6 yards and the team had 1 unassigned attempt which lost 6 yards.

I think it’s apparent we may have really missed Hooker’s running ability in the game last Saturday. We definitely didn’t have the complementary production to our running backs we had in 2022 and they obviously couldn’t even begin to make up for Hooker’s absence. jmo.

I don’t remember but I suspect most of Hendon’s rushing yards not just for the Florida game last year but in general weren’t designed runs. He just made things happen. If he didn’t have a window to get the ball to one of our receivers and he could see grass in front of him he took off. jmo.

Anyway, maybe something to keep in mind when assessing our running game from this past week. Our running backs were about the same as last year in their production. jmo.

2022 Running backs against Florida with our 2022 offensive line 115 yards/29 attempts = 3.97 yards/attempt.
2023 Running backs against Florida with our 2023 offensive line 98 yards/23 attempts = 4.26 yards/attempt.

If we want to fix our running game maybe we need to restore the missing element, i.e. the rushing production by the QB. Nobody thinks our OL this year is better than our OL last year so it doesn't seem rational to have that for an expectation. jmo.

Last edited:
There was a wr wiiiiiiiiiiiiiide open down the field. Don't remember who it was but he was Hyatt open. Joe gets slightly better pass pro that's a long TD.
Agreed. Hard to throw downfield when the oline can't give you 3 seconds. Run blocking was crap, FL was rushing 5 and TN couldn't contain with 6. Oline has to get better.

Reactions: orange parmejohn
Wtf. It is wrong to suspend Omari Thomas for a half for shoulder bumping a guy running around after he was told by the Gator center that they were going to take a knee. It was a live play. The Gators who went after Thomas with fists, I can understand being suspended.

Bad luck they are picking on Thomas and not Hadden. 😂 That would have gotten a fun reaction. But the Birmingham Office would never lend us a hand. Not that Hadden did anything wrong in that one instance; he was trying to keep five Gators and a Gator coach from ganging up on Omari. Good on him, for once.

View attachment 580424

Lott got suspended not Thomas .

Reactions: KptVFL and Orange.
It makes perfect sense to anyone who supports the team.
It all makes sense within their context. You break team rules-- we don't tell, but you don't play. You don't want to play where we need you-- you may not play. You're outworked-- you drop in the rotation and watch harder workers play. The media wants all the details, and they're not going to get them.

There isn't just one issue that fixes itself. We are going to be in dogfights we had counted as wins pre season.

The defense needs to show improvement, we need them to carry their weight this season. The offense isn't going to be capable of erasing their shortcomings.

As others have pointed out, we have to improve on the los, particularly on offense. We have to be able to run the ball.

Reactions: VolNash17
If Heup trots out Hadden this weekend, he's not who I thought he was... and yes I know Willie is the position group coach, but Heup's the HC. Too much young talent not to get their feet wet against UTSA to see how they may do getting more playing time down the schedule. The "bump" without tackling alone that to me, changed the narrative of the game, is enough to sit and reflect on his effort.

Looks pretty clear that the CSU players pokes at Sander’s face right before but gets blocked by his visor. This is typical rivalry behavior. The hit on hunter was not. Seems intentionally obtuse to argue otherwise.
I can see that his right arm was raised but not where it was, but, again, I'm not worried about it. I thought Sanders played well, the part of the game I saw. And I never suggested the hit on Hunter was justified. On the contrary: #9,855 I'm not one of the people who hate Colorado.

Last edited:
Reactions: berryvol
Ive learned to stay away during games, and i know better than go through and try to catch up on posts. No doubt that would upset me more than the game itself.

I suspect posters have already clamored for a change at qb, as ignorant as that is.

So, this may have also already been addressed, but what's the over/under on more losses before said fans start wanting a coaching change too?

You know it's coming. Another one of those things they're just waiting for any excuse to do. Oh, they'll try to be subtle about it. You know, "I'm not suggesting we should change coaches, but...".

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back