Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
It all makes sense within their context. You break team rules-- we don't tell, but you don't play. You don't want to play where we need you-- you may not play. You're outworked-- you drop in the rotation and watch harder workers play. The media wants all the details, and they're not going to get them.
It would be foolish to give details even to friendly media, much less to the Knoxville or Tuscaloosa reporters. 😂

Ive learned to stay away during games, and i know better than go through and try to catch up on posts. No doubt that would upset me more than the game itself.

I suspect posters have already clamored for a change at qb, as ignorant as that is.

So, this may have also already been addressed, but what's the over/under on more losses before said fans start wanting a coaching change too?

You know it's coming. Another one of those things they're just waiting for any excuse to do. Oh, they'll try to be subtle about it. You know, "I'm not suggesting we should change coaches, but...".
Seen't already in the FF. 🙄

But I do not think idiots like that are reflective of most of our fan base, although they do their best to make it appear as such. The medium is highly distorting in that respect. The FF is stock full of trolls, terminal BVS cases, and random malicious imbecile haters.

Last edited:
Ive learned to stay away during games, and i know better than go through and try to catch up on posts. No doubt that would upset me more than the game itself.

I suspect posters have already clamored for a change at qb, as ignorant as that is.

So, this may have also already been addressed, but what's the over/under on more losses before said fans start wanting a coaching change too?

You know it's coming. Another one of those things they're just waiting for any excuse to do. Oh, they'll try to be subtle about it. You know, "I'm not suggesting we should change coaches, but...".
Zero. That already happened in at least one of the threads over the weekend.

Reactions: OrangenSC
College football will never be what it should be until the hire full time officials for games and train them and vet them. NFL is not perfect, but you do not have homerism
Lmao "not perfect" 😅🤣😅

saints-saints-no-call.gif

Or maybe you don't root for an NFL team and watch every one of their games down to every excruciating play, but it's quite poor. NFL refs have all the same negativity surrounding them as any other sport.

Screenshot_20230918_174938.jpgScreenshot_20230918_174947.jpgScreenshot_20230918_174746.jpgScreenshot_20230918_174804.jpgScreenshot_20230918_174814.jpg

A gargoyle walks into a tavern and asks for a frothy ale. When the innkeeper brings it to him, the gargoyle complains, " I am quitting my job of guarding the castle. I am done." The innkeeper asks him why and the gargoyle replies, " I am tired of being taken for granite."

Time for my countdown of my favorite joke category - Jewish jokes. Ie jokes told by jewish comedians and mostly for other jews, especially #3, my all-time favorite, though a few others will still get it. Some have even been passed down over generations reaching back to the Borscht Belt days in New York.

1) 2 Jews walk into a bar...

they buy the bar

2) (told by Paul Rudd during an episode of Between The Ferns)

"What happens when a Jewish man runs full speed, completely naked and fully erect, into a wall?"

He breaks his nose

3) (told by Jerry Seinfeld on Norm Macdonald's show)

2 gentile businessman see other from across the street and meet up. One says to the other, "how's bunsiness?" The other gentile businessman responds...

Everything's going fine

Reactions: TN-POSSUM
Normally I wait until after much of the weekly radio shows are in and we’ve had coach and player interviews and I’ve had a chance to rewatch the film before I write my report. I’ve jumped ahead this week and am doing the report in excerpts.

I listened to a little bit of Coach Doug Matthews but didn’t hear anything different than what most fans are saying. He talks more like a fan I think than an analyst or coach. jmo.

I sort of gave up on Matthews a few years ago. I listen to the 1st hour of the Erik Ainge show because his take is usually more detailed and he adds some insight from the QB perspective. I think the 1st hour is sufficient to get his take and after that I sort of run out of patience for him and Brian. Then I’ll catch Pat Ryan and Jeff Francis on the Big Orange Hotline show. Most of the time they give their unvarnished assessment so I like to hear what they may have to say. I also like to hear from the guys on the radio during the postgame show, mostly Troy Fleming. I think he mostly tells it like he sees it. jmo.

For film review it takes a while for me because I rewatch a lot of plays multiple times. So far I’ve only made it through the 1st quarter. In his media appearance today Heupel said there were times in the game when our defense didn’t play with effort. I think there are a number of plays in the 1st quarter where that is blatantly evident. jmo.

Anyway, Ainge said our OL did okay in pass blocking but in run blocking one guy seem to get beat on most plays. It was mostly a different guy each time. Based on game grades from PFF it was mostly Ollie Lane, Andrej Karic, and Jeremiah Crawford. Ainge said they were not consistent and in most cases just got beat. He questioned their physicality, reminding his listeners that football is still a game of violence. I kept waiting for him to say the guys were soft but he didn’t go that far. I’m not sure if he thinks they can be better but he and Brian did think the OL would be better when we get Mays and Mincey back.

Ainge didn’t think Joe played bad which a lot of fans have also said. He said the issue is Joe doesn’t seem to be able to win the game for you. He’s apparently limited on what he can do and the offense and the playcalling is designed around that. We moved the ball pretty well but most times couldn’t get into the redzone because the drives would end for one reason or another.

Heupel had said on the radio postgame show that “we have to make some changes.” I was listening, probably foolishly, to his media appearance today to see if he would say any more about that. He didn’t. It’s pretty rare I think for him to deviate from coach speak and other than the bit about lack of effort by the defense I didn’t hear anything new. jmo.

I’ve updated the tables for snaps and grades for all the guys who played on offense and defense. The average grade is calculated [(G1 Snaps X G1 Grade)+(G2 Snaps X G2 Grade)+(G3 Snaps X G3 Grade)]/Total Snaps for the season, so that one high grade with fewer snaps doesn’t skew the average. jmo.
I noticed in your post that Gibson graded out (not saying the grades are definitive) basically as high as Burrell and only a smidgen lower than McDonald. I am looking forward to seeing him get more reps Saturday. Would love to see him earn a start.

They miss calls in the NFL too, but overall the refs are FAR better in the NFL than in college football.
The statistics say they are dead even. About 4-5 missed per game. Said by both nfl and college refs. Fwiw ofc

If you're not a hardcore fan of an nfl team, then the standard missed calls will pass right by you and be forgotten by game's end.

First 10 win season since 2007, Heupel is a damn good coach and I'm happy to have him. He's in year 3 and dealing with replacing a Heisman caliber QB in Hooker. Just beat the teams you're supposed to this year and push to win 8 or more.

Before the season I thought @ Florida, @ Alabama, and vs Georgia were the toughest games and Florida laying an egg in game 1 on the road against Utah didn't exactly improve my confidence because I actually thought Utah, especially on defense was going to be better to start the season than us.

Now how we performed against Austin Peay and in the first half at Florida were just sorry efforts, especially on defense. We all can identify the areas to improve, we may not all agree who should shoulder the most blame but the staff is well aware too. But you can't just let players who aren't buying in skate either, especially in year 3 when you're still building the program culture and with the COVID year we still have a lot of Pruitt players on the roster. So sit their asses if they break team rules, if they don't want to play a different spot to help the team and see the field sooner, or if they simply half-ass it all week and someone else works their tail off. Got no issue with it, eventually we want the talent to be deep and good enough that it won't impact if we win or lose. Sadly I think Mincey playing might have actually had a positive impact, but I trust Coach Heupel he's at 69% (nice) winning percentage for a reason. And with 20 wins he's already won more than Pruitt and Dooley.

First 10 win season since 2007, Heupel is a damn good coach and I'm happy to have him. He's in year 3 and dealing with replacing a Heisman caliber QB in Hooker. Just beat the teams you're supposed to this year and push to win 8 or more.

Before the season I thought @ Florida, @ Alabama, and vs Georgia were the toughest games and Florida laying an egg in game 1 on the road against Utah didn't exactly improve my confidence because I actually thought Utah, especially on defense was going to be better to start the season than us.

Now how we performed against Austin Peay and in the first half at Florida were just sorry efforts, especially on defense. We all can identify the areas to improve, we may not all agree who should shoulder the most blame but the staff is well aware too. But you can't just let players who aren't buying in skate either, especially in year 3 when you're still building the program culture and with the COVID year we still have a lot of Pruitt players on the roster. So sit their asses if they break team rules, if they don't want to play a different spot to help the team and see the field sooner, or if they simply half-ass it all week and someone else works their tail off. Got no issue with it, eventually we want the talent to be deep and good enough that it won't impact if we win or lose. Sadly I think Mincey playing might have actually had a positive impact, but I trust Coach Heupel he's at 69% (nice) winning percentage for a reason. And with 20 wins he's already won more than Pruitt and Dooley.
Peay just hung 63 points on ETSU over the weekend

Bru caught everything that came his way and Trucked some guys in the swamp. Thorton had a pass interference against him that didn't get called and then caught a bullet on the next play for a first down. castles had a big catch and run for a first down and then a bogus penalty that was the only one of the game on the receiving core. Our receivers played well but they didn't have much opportunity with the play calling. Think the false starts to kick off 3 straight drives really killed us and messed with the play calling.
In the words of Herbstreet and J Crompton,

Thornton kept his hands down below his shoulders waiting for the ball to fall into them allowing the FRESHMAN db to break up the pass.
What he should of done is jump, hands up 🙌 high , high point the ball using all 6’5” of his length and make a play on the ball that was catchable.

I agree 100% .

I think things get a little better offensively one we get out full compliment of o lineman in. I think we are going to struggle more than we fans anticipated though.

A coaching change may be needed on the defensive side but from all accounts our coach values coaching consistency so I wouldn't expect it personally.

We have to start hitting on o and interior D linemen. Portal players should be stopgap only but I think we may go pretty heavy this year in the portal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back