Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a guy that’s 23 yrs old and in his 6th season checking with the sideline every play.

So it’s not a matter of age or seniority.
It’s a matter of capability, and trust.

Last year we ‘checked with me’ in the red zone.
This year it’s ‘check with me’ all up the field.
I think we will drop that. It seemed to me to do more harm than good. Joe was looking away from the field seconds before the snap and having to shout signals up and down the line, I suppose because our replacement centers didn't field the check with me. Seems like it would be a net gain to just go with the play call or let Joe check into something he saw if he wanted to. But Heup knows better than I do.

Reactions: OrangenSC

THE VOLUNTEER

@ALLVOLNEWS
·
3h

The OL was a glaring issue all off-season and, unfortunately, there will continue to be issues moving forward. Getting Cooper Mays back should ensure the C position is better and renew some of the tempo that's been missing. However, next year's OL looks to be a PROJECT.

OL recruiting has been suspect that past couple of classes and transfers out of the program have not helped the depth and continuity. The 2024 class 5 (maybe 6) OL committed with just 2 in the Top247, per 247sports.

The funny thing is Napier took a TO and a delay of game just before that to celebrate longer. And Gator fans have the audacity to say we were classless for the TO and call the “hit” dirty🤣 hope we hang 60 on them next season and don’t let off the gas at all and still use our TO’s at the end
The announcers started that. One thing bad about voice overs is that most people discount what they lying eyes tell them, overwriting direct experience with narrative.

The hit was not hard. A Gator who was blocking for Mertz was knocked into him: that's what knocked him over, and then he did an exaggerated flop. You can start and stop the clip repeatedly about as fast as you can and see how the whole thing went down. I made a bunch of screen grabs, but then decided it was overkill to post.

Hate to say it but I feel the same way. If something doesn’t change very quickly, which seems unlikely, this team is looking 6-6 right in the face.
Maybe they'll shock us and our outlook will improve over the next two weeks. Coach seems really frustrated, more so than usual after a loss. It borders on disgust. Its weird to me. My suspicion is the team is lacking strong leadership. Hendon was a very strong leader, not outspoken but he commanded respect by the way he carried himself. I can't identify anyone on this team that could fill that role. I posted he would be sorely missed and this season so far has reinforced that belief for me.

THE VOLUNTEER

@ALLVOLNEWS
·
3h

The OL was a glaring issue all off-season and, unfortunately, there will continue to be issues moving forward. Getting Cooper Mays back should ensure the C position is better and renew some of the tempo that's been missing. However, next year's OL looks to be a PROJECT.

OL recruiting has been suspect that past couple of classes and transfers out of the program have not helped the depth and continuity. The 2024 class 5 (maybe 6) OL committed with just 2 in the Top247, per 247sports.
We have 3 coming in that are in the top 247 composite. Sham was top 200 last year, and Nichols was before that. We will have talent there next year- just very young.

Milton is so clueless he doesn’t look at the play clock, waste of timeouts as a result. Looked like a high school quarterback trying to operate the offense. No pocket awareness, terrible footwork, afraid to run half the time. That’s without mentioning the accuracy. He is what he is and it ain’t changing
And who is that on? QB coach, him, the OL play and coach or any other position in offense? So who gets the blame? I’m going with the coaches, but is it because this is who we have to ride and die with three games in? I am one of the sunshine pumpers and ‘hope’ the coaches that get paid millions fix the ‘needed’ adjustments to get their Friday payday. Yes, I’m still salty after last weekend, but I’ll be shaking my orange Pom poms Saturday.

Yep.

When a QB gets his leg shattered pulling that crap maybe it will change.
It is not clear from the video (if you break it into tiny bites) that Mertz was not running or preparing to throw. The tight end in front of him released his block, ran behind defenders, and did a curl. I don't think that was a called pass (I'm not saying that), but it's interesting that you can't be sure from the video. Gators were blocking. As I noted above, the real impact that Mertz took was from a Gator blocker who was knocked into Mertz. Then Mertz did a big flop.

The Vols mostly stood in place awaiting the knee until Mertz started to roll out and then they crossed the line of scrimmage in numbers. The exception was Thomas, who had apparently been lied to: he crossed the line of scrimmage as soon as Mertz didn't kneel with the snap. I'm not really bothered about it; I'm just interested in correcting the broadcast account which was extremely misleading. The shoulder bump did not knock Mertz down. I don't blame the Gators for rallying to their QB initially, but when the ref stopped play and every single Vol withdrew while the Gayts kept going and five of them surrounded Norman Lott, I think it was all of them.

Last edited:
It is not clear from the video (if you break it into tiny bites) that Mertz was not running or preparing to throw. The tight end in front of him released his block, ran behind defenders, and did a curl. I don't think that was a called pass, but you can't tell from the video. Gators were blocking. As I noted above, the real impact that Mertz took was from a Gator blocker who was knocked into Mertz.
I don’t think they were running a play. But it doesn’t matter imo.

Even when they’re bear hugging the ball and dancing around… wtf is the point. Just take the damn knee, man.

Maybe they'll shock us and our outlook will improve over the next two weeks. Coach seems really frustrated, more so than usual after a loss. It borders on disgust. Its weird to me. My suspicion is the team is lacking strong leadership. Hendon was a very strong leader, not outspoken but he commanded respect by the way he carried himself. I can't identify anyone on this team that could fill that role. I posted he would be sorely missed and this season so far has reinforced that belief for me.
Totally agree. Heupel was distraught during the press conference today. We’re missing Hooker in a big way. His leadership for sure but also his ability to make plays when the pocket breaks down.

The defensive game plan the other day was baffling. Why didn’t we go after the QB? Beamer and Rattler can’t wait to play us.

All flowing down from the qb.

Like someone said earlier he isn’t the solution. He throws most balls way too hard, has a very low football IQ and his attitude comes across as someone who doesn’t care.

I honestly hoped he had improved and would be fantastic this year especially given he stayed with the program after losing the job. Instead we get a sixth year qb who can’t operate the offense at full speed. A sixth year qb should be a coach on the field and elevating others around him.

It looks like others especially the receivers don’t want to play for him. I was on a team that had major internal issues between players albeit in a different sport. There are glaring signs that is the case if we take off our orange colored glasses.
Wow!

Someone says they've heard there are players who don't care, and you immediately put it on the qb? The same qb who has been publicly praised by multiple players.

Last edited:
Reactions: drvenner
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back