Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Monday night chat on VQ AP said they go after 10-12 in the portal. Hubbs said 4 OL.

Seems like we missed on some o-line evals if that is the case.

Basilio has been talking about this for a few weeks. Said the staff realizes that next years OL is bad and we will have to fill it from the portal. The problem is many other teams need OL from the portal too. The signing class won’t solve this one alone.

Reactions: captainfalcon777
Basilio has been talking about this for a few weeks. Said the staff realizes that next years OL is bad and we will have to fill it from the portal. The problem is many other teams need OL from the portal too. The signing class won’t solve this one alone.

Well I hope we open the checkbook for 3 quality OL, because it ain’t gonna be Elarbee’s coaching that brings them here

Listening to insta react PC.

This was on the defense, lack of preparedness, and the Offensive Line.

Coaches should have seent these issues earlier. I chalk it up to recruiting missed early on. The help wont be here and be ready for years.

6-6, 5-7. How patient can this fanbase be?

This program isnt SC. They literally went out and dumbly flipped a switch, grabbed tweedle dumb at 11th hour. And he's backed his way into a team.

Totally agree. Heupel was distraught during the press conference today. We’re missing Hooker in a big way. His leadership for sure but also his ability to make plays when the pocket breaks down.

The defensive game plan the other day was baffling. Why didn’t we go after the QB? Beamer and Rattler can’t wait to play us.
The defensive gameplan was atrocious. Mertz didnt attempt a pass over 20 yards. We should have blitz his weak ass all game, but we sat back and let him pick us apart 5/10 yrd a throw.

Btw, when travelling. The best answer to the following rhetorical question should always be...

'Travelling to Memphis, Sir?'

'Unfortunately.'

Get's 'em every time.

Listening to insta react PC.

This was on the defense, lack of preparedness, and the Offensive Line.

Coaches should have seent these issues earlier. I chalk it up to recruiting missed early on. The help wont be here and be ready for years.

6-6, 5-7. How patient can this fanbase be?

This program isnt SC. They literally went out and dumbly flipped a switch, grabbed tweedle dumb at 11th hour. And he's backed his way into a team.
Part of the "recruiting miss" problem I think isn't necessarily because they're misses but because we basically have nobody from the 2021 class.

We're missing an entire class of athletes that should be juniors right now. Starting true sophomores will result in inevitable growing pains.

The defensive gameplan was atrocious. Mertz didnt attempt a pass over 20 yards. We should have blitz his weak ass all game, but we sat back and let him pick us apart 5/10 yrd a throw.
Which would have worked last year when we were the #1 scoring offense in the country. Coaches didn’t make the adjustment for a Hookerless team with a not so good OL. Would be cool if they make that adjustment moving forward until offense is able to score 30+ a game.

Seems like we missed out on a **** ton of good OL prospects. Ellarbee is a good recruiter, not sure why the issues. Also, Garnner needs to get off his ass as well.
The good news is this OL class is much better than the last two. But we’ll still need 3-4 OL from the portal who are good enough to start day 1. Won’t be easy.

Uhhh just watch the damn game last night. Can’t make audibles quick enough, can’t read the field.. I mean he tossed the football 500 ft in the air ripe for the gators picking

He had a wide open Squirrel on that play. He tried to make the pass, but his arm got hit right before his release point. If the OL had actually blocked that florida dlineman, it would have been a touchdown. One step slower was a TD. If Joe was 3 feet farther back, TD. Unfortunately, none of the positive options occurred.

Watch the game. Pay attention to the whole situation, not just the result.

I personally think that Milton was rattled by his lack of protection. No excuses, but just my observation.

I have temporary mid-insider info. I feel better than I did.

Slaughter was not suspended and is in fact injured. He is expected to be available for South Carolina.

Mincey was 100% on himself. He wasn't suspended for weed he was suspended for curfew. He's our best right tackle if he gets out of his own way.

Mays had 3 hernias operated on. He's been cleared by UT to play but has been advised by his own Drs. to wait until October so that's what he's doing. That likely explains the mixups in what Heupel says vs rumors of time he's out. He's expected to play against Texas A&M.

Which would have worked last year when we were the #1 scoring offense in the country. Coaches didn’t make the adjustment for a Hookerless team with a not so good OL. Would be cool if they make that adjustment moving forward until offense is able to score 30+ a game.
I’ve come to accept that joe isnt a “playmaker” in a sense of when the play breaks down, I don’t expect him to make something out of nothing. It’s unfortunate, bc he cant mitigate our offensive line issues. Everything around him has to good for him to excel. In turn, it puts a hard cap on how good we are going to be this year

Slaughter was not suspended and is in fact injured. He is expected to be available for South Carolina.

Mincey was 100% on himself. He wasn't suspended for weed he was suspended for curfew. He's our best right tackle if he gets out of his own way.

Mays had 3 hernias operated on. He's been cleared by UT to play but has been advised by his own Drs. to wait until October so that's what he's doing. That likely explains the mixups in what Heupel says vs rumors of time he's out. He's expected to play against Texas A&M.
No Mays vs SC? That’s not good news.

3 hernias? Damn!

Was really hoping for the SCe game , fingers crossed 🤞

The good news is this OL class is much better than the last two. But we’ll still need 3-4 OL from the portal who are good enough to start day 1. Won’t be easy.
Agreed, Ron. My bitching stems from why we put ourselves in this position. Tennessee shouldnt be a place that struggles to beat Kensucky, South Carolina, or Missouri for top flight talent. Those three things arent the same.

One is a pretty nice area, with rich cfb traditions.

One is a barren, outdoor toilet in a forgotten corner of a podunk Florida town suffering from a cramping traveller's diarrhea. Smelling of stuffy, unventilated remains of Bucee's back in Georgia.

The other, the dark, cold abyss of which Moby Dick shudders in his nightmares. Only part of your club because someone back at Corporate was drunk, and accidentally clicked their names in the company email chain.

Last edited:
"Divided locker room" talk is not accurate from what I've heard. They're down and angry. Some teammates aren't happy with Mays for holding out but I also understand why he's doing it.

Banks called a good second half but his first half game plan was bad.

My personal thoughts: I think the defense is hamstrung a bit. Our DBs aren't good enough to give the defensive line a break. We're only successful when the DL is told to go get it. But they can't do that the entire game, especially if the opponent is sustaining long drives. Or when 1 young guy is undisciplined and lets the QB leak out, or like when Herring didn't track the TE on UFs touchdown pass. Pearce had Mertz, but Herring went for Mertz and let the TE run out in the flat unmarked. Luckily we have a deeper rotation this year but its a lot of young guys.

I think we see a more of a disruptive DL starting going forward but they might get gassed as the game wears on.

JMO -

Despite the issues, it is too early to write off the season and the talk about Heup at times on here is stoopid. Unless something has changed we play one game at a time. Manage to win the next two and get a bye week - anything can happen subject to health and decisions made at QB/scheme.

We will be 2-3 years recovering from the AA mess (now that it is resolved) with recruiting. Add in conference changes with scheduling and the TX and OK additions. Don't expect a repeat 2022 before that and you will manage OK.

NIL is helping everybody, not just us. Still need developers of talent on staff. Heup can retool the staff this off season as necessary, and it will be necessary in a spot or two subject to voluntary movement.

It is OK as fan to acknowledge fails as much as success. The staff and AD gets paid huge bucks with a lot of money and support to deliver success. Expectations SHOULD be high, we are Tennessee. The expectations of Heup and Danny are as higher or higher than ours.

Milton is a 7-8 win QB without a strong O-line around him. That is not where we are as a team. However, this O-line will improve when they no longer have to depend on Lane and Crawford to be starters. Mays and Mincey are needed. But they should never be caught without a competent back-up Center ever again. Carvin learned to be that guy in the past. They had nobody on the roster ready to do as Carvin did. That is a Heup/staff fail.

Banks needs to stop having brain freezes for entire halves of games as DC. Make adjustments after a bad series, not just at halftime. If you need to come down out of the booth, get your tail down on the sidelines.

"Divided locker room" talk is not accurate from what I've heard. They're down and angry. Some teammates aren't happy with Mays for holding out but I also understand why he's doing it.

Banks called a good second half but his first half game plan was bad.

My personal thoughts: I think the defense is hamstrung a bit. Our DBs aren't good enough to give the defensive line a break. We're only successful when the DL is told to go get it. But they can't do that the entire game, especially if the opponent is sustaining long drives. Or when 1 young guy is undisciplined and lets the QB leak out, or like when Herring didn't track the TE on UFs touchdown pass. Pearce had Mertz, but Herring went for Mertz and let the TE run out in the flat unmarked. Luckily we have a deeper rotation this year but its a lot of young guys.

I think we see a more of a disruptive DL starting going forward but they might get gassed as the game wears on.
Let's go beat UTSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back