Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Banks has nothing to do with offensive points....
Good point. I misread the post to which I was responding. I assumed he was talking about offensive play-calling in the 2nd half. I hadn't noticed any comments from anybody saying that Banks did a great job of defensive play-calling in the 2nd half.

Once again, that is 100% conjecture. Pili played just over a quarter of football. Never in his entire career has he played a road game in an environment as loud and hostile as the Swamp.
you don't think the "Holy War" game he played while at BYU wasn't loud and hostile against Utah...I'm sure the player has played in some loud stadiums in College...not saying he would have been the "Savior" of the team...just don't believe the environment would have affected him as you think it would have...

Once again, that is 100% conjecture. Pili played just over a quarter of football. Never in his entire career has he played a road game in an environment as loud and hostile as the Swamp.
Played the first three quarters

He did play in Neyland though... are you saying the swamp is louder than Neyland? And news flash, the crowd isn't loud for the offense! 🤪

Yall are just hellbent on thinking losing a 5th 6th year senior that everyone close to the program thinks is really good, played really well for 3 qtrs's, was the captain of the defense just didn't mean squat.

It's not about dealing with an environment, it's about understanding football at a high level. And he was the guy the team tasked with being the mike LB all offseason long into the first game.

But yeah sure none of that matters, there's just no reason to think he may have been much better since ya know at BYU he was a freaking all conference player and team captain for two years lol

Yep, sure. None of that matters! He would've gone out there and been just as clueless as Herring. People are just crazy to think this 25 year old veteran intellectual leader of the defense would make a difference in managing play calls than a sophomore in his second start ever.

Oh and Stoerner Fumbles who is close to the program backed up that we are struggling more without him. But yeah dismiss that too I guess 😂

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
you don't think the "Holy War" game he played while at BYU wasn't loud and hostile against Utah...I'm sure the player has played in some loud stadiums in College...not saying he would have been the "Savior" of the team...just don't believe the environment would have affected him as you think it would have...
Yes how ridiculous and argumentative for the sake of arguing is it to say that player with the experience that he had and the fact that the coaches awarded him the starting job would not have resulted in him being much more comfortable with the communication of the defense than a player who is a redshirt freshman that played almost zero meaningful snaps last season. Nobody said with him starting we would have held Florida scoreless. Shoot its possible he communicated and got the defense much better but missed tons of tackles and got physically whipped. Who knows? But the discussion about the defensive communication being bad and not being properly lined up is not even intelligently debatable.

Also I know me personally I'm fairly objective in my thoughts of performance.

Joe Milton hasn't/isn't playing as well as Hendon Hooker. Objectively I can validate that statement with stats and numbers.

But when someone says he's playing "horrible" that's just a subjective opinion. I don't share it, and I can't really dispute it either because the person saying it has their own opinion of what "horrible" is.

The OL played bad, and objectively there are numbers to support that. The defense (in the first half specifically) was bad, again numbers support those.

The only player at this point in the season that I feel makes the OL better immediately is Mays returning, he is heavily involved with making sure the correct protections are called, that's not something that's on Joe it's the center's job in this system. On defense I can't really point to a single player having the same sort of immediate impact...I think collectively Banks is playing younger talent and will continue to do so and they'll improve from the experience as a unit.

I mean Elijah Simmons hasn't played a snap yet, so he could possibly make an immediate impact on the DL when he returns.
JG’s stats always seemed great. But no one ever thought we were winning with the way he played. More stats came from being down and getting easy throws than actually dominating a game from start to finish. Stats can be deceptive. Juwan Mitchell had decent stats but I wouldn’t say he really did much.

Yeah. I’m saying that Utah’s stadium is nowhere close to the hellhole that is the Swamp. Also would be interested in how he played in his first game on that stage.

Reactions: SugarCC
Yes how ridiculous and argumentative for the sake of arguing is it to say that player with the experience that he had and the fact that the coaches awarded him the starting job would not have resulted in him being much more comfortable with the communication of the defense than a player who is a redshirt freshman that played almost zero meaningful snaps last season. Nobody said with him starting we would have held Florida scoreless. Shoot its possible he communicated and got the defense much better but missed tons of tackles and got physically whipped. Who knows? But the discussion about the defensive communication being bad and not being properly lined up is not even intelligently debatable.
Carry on then

“Possible” but unknown. And Herring’s not a redshirt freshman.

Hang on. At first you said your nephew still knew people in the facility and that was your info. Now you’re saying that “your person” is friends with Joe. I’m not going to say who i know that’s saying COMPLETELY opposite of your “info”..but I’ll bet all my VolNation bucks that your info, made up or not, is incorrect
Not to say you don’t have a source. Everyone talks to different people. But his nephew was a GA last year or the year before (I don’t remember). He even posted his picture and verified it. Pretty sure he worked with the QBs too. Just informing you.

The comments about Pili are really nothing more than conjecture. He played just over a quarter of football for us against a really bad opponent. We don't really know how good he would have been.
What we know is that Pili was the person the coaches thought could call the defenses and teach the younger LBs many fine points as they transitioned into more and more playing time. And we know that the young guys -- who are more talented than Pili, which no one denies -- had trouble recognizing motions and finding the running lanes on Saturday. And that confusing the LBs who lacked experience was apparently a big part of the opponents game plan.

I think they'll learn a lot from it, and get better every outing.

UTSA means nothing. I don’t care if we win by sixty.

Beat USC lite by double digits and look good doing it, well that is a true fix. We need that game bad.

Then we can agree that we just started slow and needed some fine tuning along with knocking out our annual terrible game early from all.

But if we lose and we look bad. We are in for a long season and many players should be benched ( QB, DBs, etc.).

I pray we throttle the chickens and get back on track for all of our sanity. I know I need a cleansing for my soul.

What we know is that Pili was the person the coaches thought could call the defenses and teach the younger LBs many fine points as they transitioned into more and more playing time. And we know that the young guys -- who are more talented than Pili, which no one denies -- had trouble recognizing motions and finding the running lanes on Saturday. And that confusing the LBs who lacked experience was apparently a big part of the opponents game plan.

I think they'll learn a lot from it, and get better every outing.
Coaches THOUGHT a lot that hasn’t happened. Many had at least a chance to be vetted. Pili played a quarter, so what he would or wouldn’t have done is theory only.

Reactions: Smyrna ATL Vol
You’ve got to understand what drvenner is saying though. That post is third hand very subjective say so. I understand you’re just bringing it to the board but, “i asked my guy, who asked his guy what’s up and he says it’s weird.”
Plus. I asked my guy who asked his guy and he did not agree. Said the guys were pissed and disappointed and they're back to work basically.

Subjective observations are subjective.

Beat USC lite by double digits and look good doing it, well that is a true fix. We need that game bad.

Then we can agree that we just started slow and needed some fine tuning along with knocking out our annual terrible game early from all.

But if we lose and we look bad. We are in for a long season and many players should be benched ( QB, DBs, etc.).

I pray we throttle the chickens and get back on track for all of our sanity. I know I need a cleansing for my soul.
Agreed. This year, Florida and South Carolina were two games I really needed us to win. Now? Only USCjr left to keep from a truly disappointing season.

I dont know I think it'd make us feel a lot better if we put up 60 on UTSA. Would be a clear step in the right direction.

Now what would be scary is if Mays and Mincey are back starting and the same crap keeps happening...false starts Whiffs etc.

Reactions: BigSteve09
Exactly. This is a the game we need the opposite of what we should do against, FL, Bama. Against USCjr you go small and fast on the DL and get after his butt all game.
5 300+ DL every down incoming. Our defensive game plan tends to be the opposite of what it seems like we should be doing.

Coaches THOUGHT a lot that hasn’t happened. Many had at least a chance to be vetted. Pili played a quarter, so what he would or wouldn’t have done is theory only.
Pili played in three quarters against Virginia.

Yeah the theory that a 25 year old 5th year senior, former all conference, two time team captain mike LB that had been the first team quarterback of the defense all offseason would be more effective than a sophomore in his second start ever is just a silly thing to suggest 🙄

Yeah those odds must be slim ya know

I dont know I think it'd make us feel a lot better if we put up 60 on UTSA. Would be a clear step in the right direction.

Now what would be scary is if Mays and Mincey are back starting and the same crap keeps happening...false starts Whiffs etc.
While true. Our second string should be able to score 40 plus on them with the way we play. So I don’t put much stock into beating cupcakes.

Just my opinion.

Everything rides on how we play against USC lite and winning that game. 5-1 going into a bye just shows we started slow and the team needed to figure things out. Along with having a complete meltdown of a game in the swamp. Much like last years USC lites game.

Right. I have high standards for what is required in order to know something. That's why I stated it the way that I did. I don't know that Pili would have done better. I didn't claim that I did know that or that he would have played better. I know (by direct quotation in press reports**) that the coaches thought Pili should call defenses and bring along the new, more talented guys, who were always the long-term focus. I know that they picked Pili up as a transfer, and I supposed it is safe to say that they thought they needed him as a bridge or they wouldn't have taken him. I know that the new guys looked a little lost Saturday. I have good reason to believe that Florida targeted, as part of their game plan, the spot where inexperience was present and the first-game starter was missing. That's as far as I can go.

I also don't know that our young guys will learn from the experience or that they will get better every game. It's just my "theory." But I believe it and also believe they will be better than Pili by the end of the season if they develop very quickly and stay free of injury, strive and give their all. They'd better love the film room. I love our LBs and can't wait to see even more of them. I am not worried about this situation in particular. It just means they have more to learn faster. I just see no reason to slight Pili or suggest that the younger guys would already be starting over him, although that is possible. I'm all about the future. I'm not making an excuse for the defense.

** I'm not going full Descartes with it! 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: SmokinBob
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back