Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
While true. Our second string should be able to score 40 plus on them with the way we play. So I don’t put much stock into beating cupcakes.

Just my opinion.

Everything rides on how we play against USC lite and winning that game. 5-1 going into a bye just shows we started slow and the team needed to figure things out. Along with having a complete meltdown of a game in the swamp. Much like last years USC lites game.
I’d prefer not not lose to UF but we’re gonna drop one I’d rather do it early and then run the table as opposed to losing in the last month of the season. And yes, I know we play UGA in November. I think we can still right the ship. UGA and Bama don’t look like world beaters. Heck, as much as I hate to say it LSU looks better than both of them. It’s gonna take getting Mays and Mincey back and reshuffling the deck in the secondary to find the right compliments and those are just for starters.

We have the potential for sure. We just need to re-focus.

Pili played in three quarters against Virginia.

Yeah the theory that a 25 year old 5th year senior, former all conference, two time team captain mike LB that had been the first team quarterback of the defense all offseason would be more effective than a sophomore in his second start ever is just a silly thing to suggest 🙄

Yeah those odds must be slim ya know
He went out shortly into the second quarter…so I go with one. I was excited by Pili as an addition and even moreso by camp reports, so if I had bet on him before the season I would have bet high. But I don’t cry about how my horse would have been a Triple Crown when he pulled up lame in the first stretch of a race that preceded the Kentucky Derby. There’s ODDS and then there’s what really happens. Never fail to be surprised how an experienced fanbase keeps falling into these speculative plot holes.

And yes he was an all-conference player…in Conference USA. Pardon me not proposing we retire his number.

Last post for me today. What upsets me so much is how much I want success for Joe Milton. He has been a class act. He has been the best teammate. He is great with us fans at the games. He is hospitable to the media. He's a good man! I still think he can have a successful year. I will cheer for him every week. C'mon Joe! Go Vols.

As for Hadden.....................................................
This time 100

if its nice Sat. I'm staining, and working on the deck.
🤢🤮

I promised myself as a 20-something after mowing and helping on deck work and painting our house from ages 7-27 for my parents that I'd never live in a house again 😅

so far successful. 0 wasted weekends in 12 years. Just have to sweep all the crap off the balcony onto all the oblivious tourists below, which I quite enjoy.

I guess my real point was - do you have a 7 year old? Make them do it, it'll build both character and resentment.

While true. Our second string should be able to score 40 plus on them with the way we play. So I don’t put much stock into beating cupcakes.

Just my opinion.

Everything rides on how we play against USC lite and winning that game. 5-1 going into a bye just shows we started slow and the team needed to figure things out. Along with having a complete meltdown of a game in the swamp. Much like last years USC lites game.
Well they're still way more talented than Austin Peay and we only put 30 on them. They are worse than we thought, but they've still been one of the better G5 programs out there so they aren't totally hapless despite their rough start. Won't have their QB though.

I think it would serve has a huge confidence booster if we can finally get off to a quick start and blow them out, which is what we should have seen the first two games. That would entail a clear step in the right direction in that we would at least be back to demolishing inferior opponents.

We have to prove that we can actually do that because other than a section of the UVA game we haven't proved it.

Its not unreasonable to speculate that had we played better against UVA and AP we have a more confident team and a team who executes better against UF.

Each season we've started slow, then the offense takes off against an inferior opponent and it's smooth sailing. I think it's important for our confidence and growth that we go take care of business.

Is 49 the outlier or is 16 the outlier?
I ran the stats on the first 3 games and also ran an analysis adding Clemson and Vanderbilt games. There are no statistical outliers for points or yards between the 3 games or the 5 games. Technically it'd be very hard to do anyway with such a small sample size.

With 5 games, you can make a pretty box and whisker plot but that's not enough ti start forming outliers. FWIW - 16 is closer than 49 to the median (30) and mean (31.6), but not by much.

[TLDR: Technically, neither are outliers, yet.]

Can we really say that Banks called a great 2nd half when FLA decided to basically go one dimensional for the most part and helped us look somewhat competent in the 2nd Half?
Our defensive look and calls were different in the second half, which influenced Florida. We were more aggressive and Florida wisely didn't take many risks. Calling a more aggressive game in the first half could've helped get the defense off the field or force a turnover.

He went out shortly into the second quarter…so I go with one. I was excited by Pili as an addition and even moreso by camp reports, so if I had bet on him before the season I would have bet high. But I don’t cry about how my horse would have been a Triple Crown when he pulled up lame in the first stretch of a race that preceded the Kentucky Derby. There’s ODDS and then there’s what really happens. Never fail to be surprised how an experienced fanbase keeps falling into these speculative plot holes.

And yes he was an all-conference player…in Conference USA. Pardon me not proposing we retire his number.
He played through the third quarter.

BYU is an independent. So yeah not amazing, but that doesn't include Notre Dame at least and I don't know how you can be considered "bad" if you're an all conference player.

It's not wild speculation that a 5th year freaking senior who has operated a defense better than Herring that he probably would. Especially when we know that was a concern going into this hame and clearly Herring had trouble recognizing things. Also no one is saying that we win. It's just weird how the thought that Pili was a big loss for the operational aspect of our defense bothers some of you so much.

i don’t know what’s going on over at the hill….My Nephew still knows some people in the football facility…. They are saying that the players just don’t seem to care. What has happened to our culture this year?
Any person can create a narrative through 1 single perception. "Oh I saw a player laughing with a girl the next day, they don't care about losing!!"

Vs:

They fought all 2nd half and whipped the gators the last 30 mins, then straight up fought them at the end 😅🤣😂

Yeah, really sounds like quitters...

Once again, that is 100% conjecture. Pili played just over a quarter of football. Never in his entire career has he played a road game in an environment as loud and hostile as the Swamp.
What are the chances that Pili doesn’t play again this year?
if not, would he come back next season?

Once again, that is 100% conjecture. Pili played just over a quarter of football. Never in his entire career has he played a road game in an environment as loud and hostile as the Swamp.
I mean y'all do realize he was on the BYU team that beat us in Neyland in 2019.... and recorded stats in that game. So unless you actually think the Swamp is more hostile than Neyland... that's in the least a debatable statement.

Sometimes it helps to verify a claim you're making before you make it.

I mean y'all do realize he was on the BYU team that beat us in Neyland in 2019.... and recorded stats in that game. So unless you actually think the Swamp is more hostile than Neyland... that's in the least a debatable statement.

Sometimes it helps to verify a claim you're making before you make it.
the stadium wasn’t really rocking…. it was the game after losing to georgia state.

the stadium wasn’t really rocking…. it was the game after losing to georgia state.
To say he hasnt played in hostile environments or big stadiums is a weak argument. It's solely based on the fact he was at BYU but ignores that BYU actually schedules games against big Power 5 opponents. USC, Notre Dame, Oregon, Arkansas, Tennessee are just a handful in the time he was at BYU.

Which is exactly what we saw on the field Saturday night. I don't understand how anybody can dispute it. The effort in many positions stunk. How many posters on here noted then and now that something was off. That something would be team chemistry first and foremost, which translates into effort and competing at a high level on the field.

Hopefully it was a one off like USCe was last year.
Obvious lack of effort from some players. When you allow those players to step back on the field after those displays what does that say to the team? I am NOT here to pick apart the coaching, not sure what is going on, but some of what I saw I can’t even explain. I can’t even wrap my head around how bad it was. Almost on purpose bad.

Last edited:
Not to rain on anyone’s opinion but many of our “voices” are being told what to say and get information from our staff to relay. They want some looking bad and building others up.

It’s easy to say the O line didn’t play well because you’re not throwing one player under the bus and can hide who you want to talk about. Or effort from some doesn’t oust some.

If you say the QB plays horrible, then it gets back to that player and makes everyone mad. Take their info with a grain of salt. Much like VQ notes on practice and then those players not being good.
I think it’s more retarded to say “former player is lying to his audience to protect one players feelings,” personally

Reactions: VolByLaw
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back