Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
you know we could still beat Alabama and/or upset Georgia right?
This is the ultimate bullet point.

I could even live with 7-5 if we beat one of those 2, which is certainly possible.

We need to keep beating at least one of the big 3 each season. It fights off a lot of the moron sector, or whatever @Bubba Escobar calls them.

Of ALL the things in TN football - coaches, players, admin, NiL, transfer portals - I have no more fear than from the dumbass section of fans that will ruin things with short-term greed, forgetfulness of the past, and udder idiocy 🐂

Is the new move to pay $1.5M+ for your wins with the understanding that the other team will not try? Seems like Michigan and Ohio State have this figured out

While I certainly want them to try, just please don't come in diving at our KNEES and calling timeouts like they have your coke ready for pickup.

Lol you want him to say Joe needs to sit and can't run the offense....that isn't going to happen he his Joe's coach not his critic geesh...
They have talked about bad QB play in the past. Ya know... A week ago when we played AP.

The accuracy part is obvious. I think Joe only had 2-3 misses the whole game.

The decision making part and the game management part... I certainly hope he didn't mean that. If that is how the offense is supposed to look pre-snap then we need to get rid of Halzle and bring back Golesh, whatever it takes.

We could just assume he's lying about that part, but I don't know why we would...

Another bet I'll take.

Now where did Jack run off to with his 6-6 prediction?

I believe there was another silly prediction out there I wanted to bet on, but forget what it was now. They've been pouring in since Sat night.

About to @Jack Burton all y'all on these predictions 😅🤣

Hey now, I paid up. This year I had us around 9 wins, but I’m leaning more toward 7 or 8 if we can’t clean up and get serious.

Reactions: Devo182
I have temporary mid-insider info. I feel better than I did.

Slaughter was not suspended and is in fact injured. He is expected to be available for South Carolina.

Mincey was 100% on himself. He wasn't suspended for weed he was suspended for curfew. He's our best right tackle if he gets out of his own way.

Mays had 3 hernias operated on. He's been cleared by UT to play but has been advised by his own Drs. to wait until October so that's what he's doing. That likely explains the mixups in what Heupel says vs rumors of time he's out. He's expected to play against Texas A&M.
By the A&M game Mays will not be in game shape. I doubt he's been able to doing much strength and conditioning while out. I hope I'm wrong, but it'll be difficult for him to play at a high level.

Reactions: jlawso21
swain wasn’t corporate in 2020… at least i don’t think he was
Just going to call you mr excuse bc that is all I have seen from you the last few days for any argument. Doesn’t matter what is presented or the actual facts, you make something up to fit your narrative.

Reactions: SoilVol
I finally got around to creating a transcript of Bob Kesling, Pat Ryan, and Jeff Francis from Monday night's Big Orange Hotline as they gave their thoughts on the Florida game,

Bob: Pat, I think people are still scratching the heads about the performance Saturday night and what happened down in Gainesville.

Pat: Yeah, it was really disappointing to me. We didn’t tackle. We really didn’t block well. I felt like we lost our poise a lot. It was just not the Tennessee football team I’ve seen over the last couple of years. It was disappointing. It seemed like as the game went on it got worse. I feel like they lost their poise.

Jeff: I felt like the second quarter kind of shocked them. The second quarter Florida dominated. It felt like we dug a hole and, you’re right, we didn’t have the poise to get out of it. They talk about playing the next play; you just felt like they never got over it. We all talk about plays and should have done this but right before the half I was a little bit surprised, we went down, we got the ball back, about two and a half, maybe three minutes to go, and I’m thinking don’t give them the ball back, because that could really be bad, the way the momentum was. When we got that first first down I thought we got a little bit conservative there. I was thinking you get a score there, you get the ball back, you get another score, you’re back in the game.

Pat (interrupts): You jam it, jam it. smh. (the smh was in the tone).

Jeff: Right. I just don’t think we were ever the aggressor; they were always the aggressor and it surprised me a little bit because that has not been the Josh Heupel teams that we have seen. They’ve always been the aggressor.

Bob: Well Tennessee under Heupel has been really good the last four minutes of the half and the first four minutes of the second half.

Pat (interrupts): Yeah, yeah, we talk about that all the time.

Bob: And it just didn’t work this week. Jeff, how much do you think Florida’s motion and they’re shifting their tight ends, and it seemed like Tennessee never really got synced up.

Jeff: I didn’t really think about it on the broadcast but the first two or three, the first four or five plays, they ran jet sweeps, right, and I think it really got in the head of our linebackers and safeties and I kept complaining. I never felt like their run-fits in the first half were very good. I think it was the jet motion. They kind of got that eye candy in their head and never really got the run-fits correct. I give Tim Banks and his staff, they did a great job of fixing that in the second half. You saw safeties making plays up along the line of scrimmage so they did a much better job in the second half but I think those jet sweeps that were a little bit successful at the start really messed with the heads of our guys.

Pat: Well, if you remember, Austin Peay did that every play.

Jeff (interrupts): You’d think we would have worked on that, yeah.

Pat: And so, they had a lot of success throwing it out here or running back away from it. So you get your eyes going different directions and Florida tried it and it worked for them.

Jeff: Uh-huh.

Pat: You’re looking here; the ball’s there. That’s where your run-fits are bad.

Jeff: Uh-huh, and again, I don’t know their calls, I don’t know their schemes, but usually your middle linebacker, you don’t have responsibility for the jet sweep. You’ve got to play your gap and get your guy in there but it’s hard because you want to go make the play. It’s hard not to.

Bob: You want to go chase the ball.

Jeff: Yeah.

Bob: Offensively, Tennessee got plenty of chances in the second half to get back in the game because the defense threw a lot of three and outs at them but you never got that momentum going.

Pat: I tell you, one thing that surprised me in the ball game, and I know a lot of things kind of went into this, we like to play fast; we didn’t play fast. You know, very rarely did we go Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom, like you’re used to. We caught ourselves standing at the line of scrimmage time and time again. Jeff and I were talking about it and Tennessee’s approach to offensive football is we’re going to run this play and then forget about it and then we’re going to immediately run another one. We’re going to forget about that and we’re going to run another one. What happens was we got caught standing around a lot and the forget the play before, the magnitude of the third down play or whatever kind of fell in on them.

Jeff (interrupts): And it felt like to me and I don’t have a stat to prove it, but it felt like we slowed down on third down and then it also, it got the crowd involved. It gave their crowd a chance and then communications got really difficult. It was really kind of strange. I was like, call a play, let’s go. That’s not your M.O.

Pat: Well, really what I think it came down to is we ran the football too much. We kept trying to jam it at them and we gained nothing.

Jeff: Well, but I personally think that was at issue and my feeling was they’re afraid they can’t protect the passer.

Pat: Well, you know, I don’t buy it because he only got sacked one time.

Jeff: But he was hit a bunch.

Pat: Well you know what, you get it off quick or whatnot but running into the line of scrimmage is doing you no good against these guys. It was 3 yards through the whole game when they ran it. They gained 100 yards on 30 rushes.

Jeff: And a little bit of that was the numbers. The numbers, if it’s an RPO, run pass option, the numbers are saying to run it and we didn’t. That’s the problem.

Pat: I know that’s what they’re saying but we couldn’t run it against that look.

Jeff: I know.

Pat: In the RPO we never threw it off the RPO. We never ran it off the RPO. So why are we running it?

Bob: Does that take you back down to they just won the line of scrimmage on both sides?

Pat: There it is.

Jeff: Bottom line, you’re right.

Pat: They won it in a lot of areas in that football game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back