Recruiting Football Talk VII

I will say both our RBs were ballers, as were Bru and Squirrel. And we did have success the one time that I remember that we ran power (pulling guard and TE) at the point of the attack. Someone who knows more than I might inform me why we didn't do that more than once. Maybe there was no one calling assignments on the line and everyone just zone blocked for 60 minutes. I don't think Joe played poorly after what I saw him up against. I'm not going to talk about our defense except to say that we didn't have any assignment discipline at LB, and someone noted that the misdirection was likely something FL saw Austin Peay do regularly with success. I'm not going to talk about the DBs. Just not. Take care.
If I screamed "inside shoulder" once I screamed it a hundred times. My family finally duct taped my mouth when we were on defense.

Reactions: Orange.
This team needs to make an example out of UTSA this weekend and get the momentum rolling back on our side going into the crucial stretch of SCjr and TAMU. Go into the bye week @ 5-1 with things clicking and hopefully relatively healthy and get ready to play a Bama team that is at its weakest its been in years.

In the next second (9:06) the other DT has beaten a double team block and hammers Milton as he throws. You can see the ball in his forward moving hand (a blur). He did not have time to throw. That collision is the reason the ball took such a weird high arc. It wasn't simply errant and it wasn't a desperation "jump ball."
View attachment 580781

I think anyone who has seen Joe throw knows it wasn’t a toss up and was obvious he got hit while releasing the ball. I think the knock many have is that he saw the rush because it was right in his face and didn’t just take the sack. Sixth year guy has to know better and protect the ball, not take the risk in the middle of the field.

This receiver was wide open on the errant throw it up ball that got intercepted. It was also open the whole time (Joe could have thrown it before he got close to getting hit)

Also, if you rewatch this throw, protection wasn’t that bad. Joe stepped up and left into the guy instead of rolling left or rolling right away from the pressure.

This was a bad play by Joe and he did not make a good decision. He had his eyes down field the whole time (he is staring the receiver down) when he could have hit this check down and got massive yards. (There is literally just green grass in front of this receiver)

View attachment 580744
@cHiZzLeVOL On a copy of your photo, above, I have circled the WR Milton was throwing to. He is wide open for a touchdown. At the bottom of the photo I have circled the 370 lb DT who has knocked Milton to the ground as he released his pass and is about to land on him with full body weight. Milton perhaps handled that with better results than Nico might have with his small frame. It was not an errant throw it up ball. Milton got struck violently in the act of throwing the ball.View attachment 580759
To your alls points, even if it was completed, it would have been called back because they called a holding on us because either our center or RG got Embarrassed off the LOS and the hold was called well before the ball was thrown.

But, instances like this is why the staff doesn’t trust milton for the intermediate stuff. He can’t make the reads properly and stares down his receivers and is a statue in the pocket

Update: didn’t see the rest of orange’s posts detailing when the hold occurred until after I posted this

Reactions: cHiZzLeVOL
To your alls points, even if it was completed, it would have been called back because they called a holding on us because either our center or RG got Embarrassed off the LOS and the hold was called well before the ball was thrown.

But, instances like this is why the staff doesn’t trust milton for the intermediate stuff. He can’t make the reads properly and stares down his receivers and is a statue in the pocket
So Milton is supposed to see the flag and know it is for holding and not throw the ball?

Reactions: Leeleesteeth
The misses or not even calling the full offense isn’t even the biggest concern with Milton. It’s the look every play to the sidelines and consistent dumbness or lack of awareness of the play clock. 6th year senior playing like a highschool guy that has no clue what’s going on. Wasted one timeout on that and I want to say another one or two was wasted because of it. That was unacceptable. Running out of bounds on 4th down was just icing on the cake for his lack of awareness. Reminded me of the ole miss game

The misses or not even calling the full offense isn’t even the biggest concern with Milton. It’s the look every play to the sidelines and consistent dumbness or lack of awareness of the play clock. 6th year senior playing like a highschool guy that has no clue what’s going on. Wasted one timeout on that and I want to say another one or two was wasted because of it. That was unacceptable. Running out of bounds on 4th down was just icing on the cake for his lack of awareness. Reminded me of the ole miss game
Hate to say that but it is what it is at this point. He’s shown he just doesn’t have it upstairs. Took Hendon Hooker being able to look at the clock, call the play efficiently and hitting open guys for granted.

This team needs to make an example out of UTSA this weekend and get the momentum rolling back on our side going into the crucial stretch of SCjr and TAMU. Go into the bye week @ 5-1 with things clicking and hopefully relatively healthy and get ready to play a Bama team that is at its weakest its been in years.
Bye week is before TAMU not Bama

Lol. Right. The one that actually gets paid to coach football. Doesn't mean can't scrutinize, just shouldn't have absolute declarations when you only know a small part of the story.

I've watched a lot of surgeries but don't really think I'm qualified to give the surgeon advice.

If I get paid like an SEC coach, you can televise everything I do… 😁

Especially if I get the monster paycheck from getting fired. 😇

Gang, why don’t we stop dissecting the collapse of the Florida game? Everything has been covered countless times. We still sucked is what it boiled down to. I sure hope the team isn’t continuing to think about how horrible that game went. Let’s flush it and move forward, and hope they correct the horror of the last 2 weeks.

@cHiZzLeVOL On a copy of your photo, above, I have circled the WR Milton was throwing to. He is wide open for a touchdown. At the bottom of the photo I have circled the 370 lb DT who has knocked Milton to the ground as he released his pass and is about to land on him with full body weight. Milton perhaps handled that with better results than Nico might have with his small frame. It was not an errant throw it up ball. Milton got struck violently in the act of throwing the ball.View attachment 580759
I think his comment about this play is that; while the WR you circled is open, it’s a long developing play. With our line and the pressure they brought, the simplest, faster developing route and another wide open route is the crosser. That’s where it should have gone. Anticipated where the WR was going to be or just throw it anywhere over there

Reactions: Nash_Vol97
In the next second (9:06) the other DT has beaten a double team block and hammers Milton as he throws. You can see the ball in his forward moving hand (a blur). He did not have time to throw. That collision is the reason the ball took such a weird high arc. It wasn't simply errant and it wasn't a desperation "jump ball."
View attachment 580781
Should have never been thrown. Live to play another down.

Gang, why don’t we stop dissecting the collapse of the Florida game? Everything has been covered countless times. We still sucked is what it boiled down to. I sure hope the team isn’t continuing to think about how horrible that game went. Let’s flush it and move forward, and hope they correct the horror of the last 2 weeks.
Agree CJH is working on solving the problem .....

I think falling to the ground after he escaped the first guy in the split second before he was hit by the second might have been best. My point is: can you imagine the screaming and shrieking of the Milton haters? hE bAsIcAlLy rAn OuT BoUnDs!!!! Why is he afraid of cOnTaCt?!!! Fahr Milton!!

OTOH if he had gotten the pass off a millisecond earlier we would have had the lead.
Oh I get it. But I think that’s the knock. Is that he’s always late or not mentally aware of game situation. I wish it would click for the 6th year senior.

He had a wide open . on that play. He tried to make the pass, but his arm got hit right before his release point. If the OL had actually blocked that florida dlineman, it would have been a touchdown. One step slower was a TD. If Joe was 3 feet farther back, TD. Unfortunately, none of the positive options occurred.

Watch the game. Pay attention to the whole situation, not just the result.

I personally think that Milton was rattled by his lack of protection. No excuses, but just my observation.
I appreciate your effort, but you're wasting your time trying to have discussions with these people using facts and logic. You've got to go at it with your emotions. That's the only language some of them understand.

Castles was awesome Saturday blocking, catching, and running.
I really like going after the elite players from smaller schools rather than the castoffs from other big programs. Castles and Verse are examples of the real diamonds in the rough available through the portal. Would be good to go center shopping amongst those ranks.

Last edited:
View attachment 580781
Great analysis but you know it’s probably futile to explain things this in depth to the negative Nancy’s right? Most people that watch football and especially that crowd don’t actually know anything about fundamentals and scheme of football and haven’t played a down in their life. They just see qb throw ball; ball doesn’t get completed; then think it’s solely the qb’s fault ; fffaarhhh coach; rabble rabble rabble.

And you’re right if he would have gotten sacked they would have complained about that too.

Is there some way we can burn @Glitch's avi as the first post in the new game thread. Who knows how to combine a copy of the avi with a gif of fire or blazing funeral pyre, even if only to layer it on top?

I can append some verses from the horse sacrifice in the Rig Veda, if y'all think it would help.

I'm ready turn the corner to our game with UTSA on Saturday.
In the Return of the King movie, Denethor says 'We will burn like the  heathen kings of old'. Is this a reference to the Numenoreans? Or is this  another error by Peter

VN Store

Back