Recruiting Football Talk VII

I don't think Joe has a ton of pocket awareness. He made no effort to avoid the rush. I'm guessing he thought he could get the ball away which goes back to pocket awareness. Many qbs would have tried to sidestep the rush at the least, even qbs with little mobility. I just don't think Joe has that "it" factor for a qb. I hate it because he's a really good dude.

Last edited:
The complain was, rather, that he should have thrown but to a different guy which required no more time. Since that's been refuted, you're changing the argument. As I said earlier there is no doubt in my mind that the same people would be screaming that he took a sack. You should consider that we were beat 4 on 7. But that doesn't fit the narrative. We weren't in a screen game because Milton can't run the office.

Someone started the day trashing Milton on a cherry picked example. The worst play of the game. But they have to twist the knife and claim that he picked the wrong receiver, and it would have been a yuge-iest gain. But either receiver needed the same amount of unavailable time. So the claim was false.
He should have thrown it to the crosser. Which took less time to develop. In the picture he’s not even open. The safety is right there. A perfect ball thrown in stride would have worked but we haven’t seen that with Milton.
Yes we were beat 4 on 7 ,and have been all game, which is why he should know that you can’t wait for that seam to develop.

Reactions: Smyrna ATL Vol
The complain was, rather, that he should have thrown but to a different guy which required no more time. Since that's been refuted, you're changing the argument. As I said earlier there is no doubt in my mind that the same people would be screaming that he took a sack. You should consider that we were beat 4 on 7. But that doesn't fit the narrative. We weren't in a screen game because Milton can't run the office.

Someone started the day trashing Milton on a cherry picked example. The worst play of the game. But they have to twist the knife and claim that he picked the wrong receiver, and it would have been a yuge-iest gain. But either receiver needed the same amount of unavailable time. So the claim was false.
He should have thrown it to the crosser. Which took less time to develop. In the picture he’s not even open. The safety is right there. A perfect ball thrown in stride would have worked but we haven’t seen that with Milton.
Yes we were beat 4 on 7 ,and have been all game, which is why he should know that you can’t wait for that seam to develop.

I’m not changing anything because I never said that. But yeah, people say dumb stuff, especially after a loss.

Reactions: Orange.
Bill Connelly says 46% of the passes for UT have been at or behind the line of scrimmage. Double the national average
Oof. Handcuffed.

Think this all boils down to the OL, not Joe. Staff knows it, just not saying it. They fell short recruiting OL last year, and failed to get as much help through the portal as they actually needed.

My question: why limit explosive plays? Trying to avoid sacks? The false start penalties are already doing that damage. Can it actually get worse? I don’t think it can. Take the risk for the reward knowing that when you hit it’s going to be a touchdown or lead to an easy score. Gotta be more profitable than trying to sustain a drive full of wr screens and rb swing passes.

I’m not changing anything because I never said that. But yeah, people say dumb stuff, especially after a loss.

Connelly says difference from last year UT and this year’s UT is there are many more droughts offensively. No surprise
I’m sure there was more to that statement, but yeah Bill that’s a symptom of the myriad of roster change and step backs in talent at the QB and OL position, and complacency from skill guys. Hyatt and HH prepared like pros, don’t think this skill room did the same this camp and summer.

Reactions: VolNash17
I don't think Joe has a tin of poker awareness. He made no effort to avoid the rush. I'm guessing he thought he could get the ball away which goes back to pocket awareness. Many qbs would have tried to sidestep the rush at the least, even qbs with little mobility. I just don't think Joe has that "it" factor for a qb. I hate it because he's a really good dude.
Yeah I like him, he’s got that good attitude and million dollar smile.

But the running out of bounds against OM on 4th down to win the game in 2021 tells you everything you need to know about JM3 on the field.

I just wish we could cater the offense better to him. He’s got nice attributes and has shown it in the past, just gotta mask his deficiencies. We’ve seen a lot of football, I don’t think leaders are suddenly birthed during the season, that is grown in the spring and summer prior to the fall…

Heupel and Halzle have their work cut out that’s for sure.

But the running out of bounds against OM on 4th down to win the game in 2021 tells you everything you need to know about JM3 on the field.

I just wish we could cater the offense better to him. He’s got nice attributes and has shown it in the past, just gotta mask his deficiencies. We’ve seen a lot of football, I don’t think leaders are suddenly birthed during the season, that is grown in the spring and summer prior to the fall…

But they rested their laurels on being an offensive powerhouse.

J3 has to be more physical. You are a TE playing QB. Run. The. Damn. Ball.

Honestly, he's the best we have this year. This could be a Crompton-like year. As the Oline gets healthy, he'll play better, but he has a ceiling. Nico is not ready. If this is a down year, so be it. I still think he can get us 9 wins if things break our way and we can get past the injury bug, which has been particularly nasty so far this year.

Reactions: engineerVOL
Frank Harris the all everything QB for UTSA is day to day with a Turf toe injury...if he does play his mobility will be less of factor ....James Pearce and company should have a field day ....predicting now 5 sacks and Beasley gets double digit tackles....in the Vols dominating win this week...

I think anyone who has seen Joe throw knows it wasn’t a toss up and was obvious he got hit while releasing the ball. I think the knock many have is that he saw the rush because it was right in his face and didn’t just take the sack. Sixth year guy has to know better and protect the ball, not take the risk in the middle of the field.
That's what I concluded too. In those posts with the photos I was specifically concerned with showing that the "wrong receiver" account was inaccurate. I apologize for not making that clear.

He was half a second short of time to throw to anyone. But I do bet anything that he would have been criticized for taking the sack.

@cHiZzLeVOL On a copy of your photo, above, I have circled the WR Milton was throwing to. He is wide open for a touchdown. At the bottom of the photo I have circled the 370 lb DT who has knocked Milton to the ground as he released his pass and is about to land on him with full body weight. Milton perhaps handled that with better results than Nico might have with his small frame. It was not an errant throw it up ball. Milton got struck violently in the act of throwing the ball.View attachment 580759

Yes that is open, but only if Milton has time. Milton did not have time, and he stepped up into the pocket instead of rolling out of it like he should have. Also, if he didn’t have time, he could have hit the under receiver, who he did have time to hit, he just never looked at him.

Go back to when Joe was the starter against Pitt., he did the exact same things (standing flat footed in the pocket, all the time and stared receivers down) in that game that he did against Florida. We switch to Hendon because Joe got hurt and our Line looked completely different.

It is a Milton problem for sure.

Last edited:
Pics or it didn’t happen.

I keed… congrats!

My sons are playing on the same baseball team this year. Pitcher and catcher, now that’s a pretty sweet sight to this dad’s eyes. He struck out the side to win the game while lil bro caught last night. That was so cool.
Man, I am jealous. Congratulations!!

Frank Harris the all everything QB for UTSA is day to day with a Turf toe injury...if he does play his mobility will be less of factor ....James Pearce and company should have a field day ....predicting now 5 sacks and Beasley gets double digit tackles....in the Vols dominating win this week...
Do the coaches really want to play him if he's not mobile and risk further injuries? Seems like a bad idea to me.

I think falling to the ground after he escaped the first guy in the split second before he was hit by the second might have been best. My point is: can you imagine the screaming and shrieking of the Milton haters? hE bAsIcAlLy rAn OuT BoUnDs!!!! Why is he afraid of cOnTaCt?!!! Fahr Milton!!

OTOH if he had gotten the pass off a millisecond earlier we would have had the lead.
You do realize that the best throw to make in that situation is the crossing receiver and not the deep ball. If he sees the receiver and doesn’t stare down squirrel, he could have thrown it two seconds before and had a 30 yard completion and the receiver has only one person to beat one on one.

Which is why everyone is frustrated with Joe because it’s either a bomb or check down. He doesn’t see the field well or hit any throws to be made in the middle of the field.

VN Store

Back