Recruiting Football Talk VII

i agree with most of that….. it wasn’t just one person though… i have read several times about different culture issues on the hill. We have already had the dreaded team meeting…. i have never seen that as a good sign… it usually means that there are deeper issues…

Hopefully Tennessee starts playing better and this will seem like a bunch of nonsense by the end of the year.
You make a ton of leaps in this one. I have not read several times about culture issues. Team meetings are not always dreaded, good grief.

After blowing out Buffalo 55-27 (2.5 point favorites) and moving to 3-0. Liberty moves into the driver seat to win the CUSA slightly above WKU. Kaidon Salter has blossomed in Chadwell’s high powered attack to this point. Really interested in seeing them the rest of the way. Chadwell has out recruited Freeze at Coastal and now at Liberty as well when compared with Freeze’s Liberty classes.
I'm biased but Chadwell made the right decision. He's allowing Kaidon to be the guy and have fun again. What a remarkable start to the year after last years debacle under Freeze. Sky is the limit if he can protect the ball. We still have love for UT after the support we received and wish y'all nothing but the best. Mind blowing that Nico hasn't taken the job. Seems like a wasted year using Milton because he isn't the answer.

I'm biased but Chadwell made the right decision. He's allowing Kaidon to be the guy and have fun again. What a remarkable start to the year after last years debacle under Freeze. Sky is the limit if he can protect the ball. We still have love for UT after the support we received and wish y'all nothing but the best. Mind blowing that Nico hasn't taken the job. Seems like a wasted year using Milton because he isn't the answer.
We have potential but I feel like the coaches and even some of the players are approaching this as a “kick the can down the road” year and I don’t understand it. JMO

Yes that is open, but only if Milton has time. Milton did not have time, and he stepped up into the pocket instead of rolling out of it like he should have. Also, if he didn’t have time, he could have hit the under receiver, who he did have time to hit, he just never looked at him.

Go back to when Joe was the starter against Pitt., he did the exact same things (standing flat footed in the pocket, all the time and stared receivers down) in that game that he did against Florida. We switch to Hendon because Joe got hurt and our Line looked completely different.

It is a Milton problem for sure.
He couldn't have rolled out if he wanted, they held contain.

Gang, why don’t we stop dissecting the collapse of the Florida game? Everything has been covered countless times. We still sucked is what it boiled down to. I sure hope the team isn’t continuing to think about how horrible that game went. Let’s flush it and move forward, and hope they correct the horror of the last 2 weeks.
This is precisely why I haven’t even been here since Sunday morning. Not that any of you have missed me anyway😁

We have potential but I feel like the coaches and even some of the players are approaching this as a “kick the can down the road” year and I don’t understand it. JMO
Milton is a poor man's Anthony Richardson. Will wow you with a deep dime like he did to Thornton and then throw a 4th down pass in the dirt. Richardson was at least deadly with his legs. 44 on D stood out to me. so did 5 but in a different way. Y'all really need the center to come back. That was critical for UF getting theirs back.

Let's be honest here. Most of the time when you're being grumpy and shaking hands at the sky. We just sorta walk by, whistling, and dont make eye contact.
Lol...you should remember this fundamental truth...Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean their not coming after you.

I'm a hopeful pessimist...I hate being that way, but it does force me to see things unadorned with the veil of illusion that optimists have.

Last year my fears were mostly unfounded because we had several great players whose performances went far above and beyond what was reasonable to expect from them...I did think there was reason to hope that we would get better than we've gotten so far. I thought the offense would at least perform close to as well as it did in the Orange Bowl...but losing Coop and Mincey has turned out to be HUGE.

Also losing Pili and Slaughter has hurt the defense...the kids just aren't there yet, and the older players just never were.

I am firmly in the camp that Willie needs to go...his guys suck....period.

In essence this team is what I said it was, a super thin team in too many spots that could not afford losses.

And Joe Milton just is what he is...he can produce enough offense to win if everything else around him is good, he is not a player that pulls the team up with him.

I hope for our sake that Nico is...next year.

Heupel doesn’t want to break his shiny new toy by playing him before he is ready...especially behind the OL we uad going against UF.

Maybe once Cooper and Mincey get back on the field he will start to roll him out there more.

Nico is the future...if he isn't ruined by trying to save the present.

Hey.. @butchna ...you still on the Elarbee is a good developmental coach train? I need you to give me some hope that he can produce better than this year's pile of garbage down the road.
Yes I am…full speed ahead! You’re never as good as your best game or as bad as your worst. Carvin and Wright weren’t world beaters under Friend but are now “unreplaceable” after two seasons under Ellarbee? THAT is DEVELOPMENT. Hit me up at the end of the season when reactionary emotion hasn’t tainted an entire YEAR.

I don't think Joe has a ton of pocket awareness. He made no effort to avoid the rush. I'm guessing he thought he could get the ball away which goes back to pocket awareness. Many qbs would have tried to sidestep the rush at the least, even qbs with little mobility. I just don't think Joe has that "it" factor for a qb. I hate it because he's a really good dude.
He seems like a genuinely really good dude.
We know he’s a great teammate.

If there isn't some massive improvement I do not see us being 5-1 this season.

Going to have to play a lot better in the trenches.

I think USCjr will give us a very tight game that we could lose and Texas A&M will not be easy.

Nothing we do will be easy. I don't think this weekend will be easy. It will be all starters playing again for the full game.

I don't see how they improve both lines so drastically in the middle of the season - unless they start lifting weights :)

Lol...you should remember this fundamental truth...Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean their not coming after you.

I'm a hopeful pessimist...I hate being that way, but it does force me to see things unadorned with the veil of illusion that optimists have.

Last year my fears were mostly unfounded because we had several great players whose performances went far above and beyond what was reasonable to expect from them...I did think there was reason to hope that we would get better than we've gotten so far. I thought the offense would at least perform close to as well as it did in the Orange Bowl...but losing Coop and Mincey has turned out to be HUGE.

Also losing Pili and Slaughter has hurt the defense...the kids just aren't there yet, and the older players just never were.

I am firmly in the camp that Willie needs to go...his guys suck....period.

In essence this team is what I said it was, a super thin team in too many spots that could not afford losses.

And Joe Milton just is what he is...he can produce enough offense to win if everything else around him is good, he is not a player that pulls the team up with him.

I hope for our sake that Nico is...next year.
Nico ain’t gonna be here long so if we know Joe’s not the guy to take this team to the next step/level (and I think we all know he’s severely limited) then you gotta get Nico some reps and “on the job” training. Standing on the sidelines isn’t gonna do us any favors for next year.

I know…. Before any of you say it, it’s a fine line on when to play Nico behind this semblance of an OL. You gotta be smart with that as well and not get him killed so he can play next year.

This receiver was wide open on the errant throw it up ball that got intercepted. It was also open the whole time (Joe could have thrown it before he got close to getting hit)

Also, if you rewatch this throw, protection wasn’t that bad. Joe stepped up and left into the guy instead of rolling left or rolling right away from the pressure.

This was a bad play by Joe and he did not make a good decision. He had his eyes down field the whole time (he is staring the receiver down) when he could have hit this check down and got massive yards. (There is literally just green grass in front of this receiver)

View attachment 580744
Yeah Joe doesn’t have it. Same thing as 2021 when the offense wasn’t working and suddenly it blows up once Hendon comes in. Now Joe is back in 2023 and the offense sputters once more. Are people thinking Heupel suddenly can’t call an offense?

I think if we had one of our "old" Novembers with some form of SC, UK, Mizz, VU, random cupcake... I might could see Nico getting some burn to finish the season.

With UGA at week 11 I don't see it.

It would take a Milton injury. That's what put Hooker on the field. Unless Nico plays this week (which he won't), at almost any point it will be throwing Nico to the wolves.

Yes I am…full speed ahead! You’re never as good as your best game or as bad as your worst. Carvin and Wright weren’t world beaters under Friend but are now “unreplaceable” after two seasons under Ellarbee? THAT is DEVELOPMENT. Hit me up at the end of the season when reactionary emotion hasn’t tainted an entire YEAR.
With the nice OL commits this year and the continued development of the OL returning next season...next season will be good but 2025 maybe the big year for the Vols on the field....with a Nico in his second full year as a starter and Mathews and Staley at WR... plus these young players being in their second and third years in program defense could be stellar...just an observation....about the future...

VN Store

Back