Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's so sad how far the Lady Vols have fallen. Like others have said, they have no identity and are poorly coached. I wanted Kellie to succeed like everyone else, but she isn't cutting it at all. They have to be the worst team on campus now. Who would ever thought that would even be a possibility 20 years ago?

The folks who drive the decisions when it comes to Lady Vol basketball need to take a long look in the mirror and ask themselves one question. What do we care about more: winning or having a coach who played for Pat?

The answer to that question will dictate where things go from here.

What do yall think? Do you think the LV's have slipped too far to get back anywhere near where Coach Summitt had this program?

Which coach out there could get us back up to elite level?
I think we can get back, not sure who could do that though. I like to think of that program as similar to Bama football. Lots of history, support and tools are there, we just need a Saban type coach, and yes, I threw up a little typing this.

Recruiting can hide alot and her recruiting is been very underwhelming. I think Pat or maybe her dad told Pat something about you can't win the Kentucky derby with a mule......or something like that. Our talent is just not there. Admittedly, I haven't watched much this year, last year kind of soured me on Kellie. no identity on either end of the court, we looked really poorly coached last year and it sounds like nothing has changed. I'm in involuntary's camp on pretty Holly.
I really havent watched enough of Harper to have an opinion. My Lady Vols' interest has been like a gas gauge, going down a little every year since Summitt. Hate to say it, but it's really close to empty. I love the Lady Vols, but I have virtually zero desire to watch them.

Thanks. That's why I have asked so many questions about them. The price difference confused me between the PS5 & the xbox x. I thought I was missing something important.

I think you'd be happy with either the PS5 or the X. The graphics are finally getting to where consoles (at least the PS5 and X) don't look drastically different from PC gaming outside of high end games on ultra settings and it's nice to be able to veg out and play on a big screen. I hadn't owned a console since the WII came out and was honestly a bit nervous about spending money on something that I figured I wouldn't play much but I I wound up loving it. Games have been my little oasis through everything. I think I'd have lost my mind completely if I hadn't had them to lean on and give me some form of escapism. And some of the games like Ghost of Tsushima on PS5 have been mind blowing -- just so good story wise and gameplay wise.)

Reactions: Enki_Amenra
I really havent watched enough of Harper to have an opinion. My Lady Vols' interest has been like a gas gauge, going down a little every year since Summitt. Hate to say it, but it's really close to empty. I love the Lady Vols, but I have virtually zero desire to watch them.
Same. I used to watch almost every game. Now, they’re just painful.

I think you'd be happy with either the PS5 or the X. The graphics are finally getting to where consoles (at least the PS5 and X) don't look drastically different from PC gaming outside of high end games on ultra settings and it's nice to be able to veg out and play on a big screen. I hadn't owned a console since the WII came out and was honestly a bit nervous about spending money on something that I figured I wouldn't play much but I I wound up loving it. Games have been my little oasis through everything. I think I'd have lost my mind completely if I hadn't had them to lean on and give me some form of escapism. And some of the games like Ghost of Tsushima on PS5 have been mind blowing -- just so good story wise and gameplay wise.)
I just read that they thought the ps6 would release in 26. Then sony said the ps5 is in the latter half of it's life and a lot of people think it'll release sooner. . . maybe closer to the end of 25.

When does ncaaf come out, this summer? I wonder if it would be better just to wait 18mo and get the ps6? Probably too expensive and hard to get at release.

The NBA can be crazy sometimes. The Grizzlies beat the Bucks tonight. The Grizzlies were playing a back to back without any of their starters, even no Jaren Jackson. Out of the 9 that played, I’ve never really heard of 3 of them. Giannis went 15-17 from the field, but GG Jackson and Zaire Williams both scored 27. GG Jackson appears to be a great find by the front office.

I just read that they thought the ps6 would release in 26. Then sony said the ps5 is in the latter half of it's life and a lot of people think it'll release sooner. . . maybe closer to the end of 25.

When does ncaaf come out, this summer? I wonder if it would be better just to wait 18mo and get the ps6? Probably too expensive and hard to get at release.

I think they are saying 2026 for the ps6 but that's just speculation and judging the reaction that may get pushed back or just be when the ps5 pro is released. The pro models are usually the 'beta' version of the next gen. This gen was sabotaged by covid. Not only was it hard to get anything until last year but because of that devs put out games that would run on last gen consoles. There just haven't been that many this gen games because both Sony and Microsoft were pushing backwards compatibility so hard because they knew there were serious supply issues. Most of the games released this cycle have really been last gen games at their peak (if that makes any sense) rather than this gen games.

Even now, most new releases are still available on PS4 and Xbox One. It makes no sense to skip ahead to PS6 and whatever the new Xbox will be called when we're not even at a point where they're making games for the current generation. But corps being corps will probably do just that. Still, there are enough great games on both consoles that buying one now is worth the price of admission, imo. Great stress relief and with the subs you have plenty of games to play without paying full price all the time.

Reactions: Enki_Amenra
IMHO, a society needs to be careful when defaulting to punishing the responsible in order to prevent the irresponsible. My hackles always go up with the excuse of "ForTheChildrens" or "If just one life...". Quite often, it's an invitation to give up personal rights based on emotion, as opposed to logic and reason. It's a shortcut debate.

(Note: I'm not necessarily claiming that the purchase of cold beer singles is an inaliable human right.)
Yup. The “we have to do something” mentality.

In the 1980’s thousands were dying at the height of the drug epidemic. Scores of children.

Some were screaming - we have to do something!

Oh baby, did we do something…

Recruiting can hide alot and her recruiting is been very underwhelming. I think Pat or maybe her dad told Pat something about you can't win the Kentucky derby with a mule......or something like that. Our talent is just not there. Admittedly, I haven't watched much this year, last year kind of soured me on Kellie. no identity on either end of the court, we looked really poorly coached last year and it sounds like nothing has changed. I'm in involuntary's camp on pretty Holly.

Can’t wait until she’s gone….the LV need something fresh….they’re in the same spot our football team was for. 10+ years

I know it's so sad how far the Lady Vols have fallen. Like others have said, they have no identity and are poorly coached. I wanted Kellie to succeed like everyone else, but she isn't cutting it at all. They have to be the worst team on campus now. Who would ever thought that would even be a possibility 20 years ago?
It's very much not okay.

Really not okay. LV bball may not move the meter for a lot of people, but it's something I grew up being proud of.

They need to get a coach. This ain't okay. We should be great. We basically invented basketball for women...I mean goodness. Run a offense! Play hard defense!

The NBA can be crazy sometimes. The Grizzlies beat the Bucks tonight. The Grizzlies were playing a back to back without any of their starters, even no Jaren Jackson. Out of the 9 that played, I’ve never really heard of 3 of them. Giannis went 15-17 from the field, but GG Jackson and Zaire Williams both scored 27. GG Jackson appears to be a great find by the front office.
Wild game

It's as simple as posting it as done...your "Boom roasted" thing. Let's revisit your SPINNING on Heupel's hire, someday. As Lord Tony decrees, thus thou 🤮on here. Grand Master REALIST Jack Burton indeed.

My REALISM has always centered on giving the hire a balanced chance to PROVE one way or the other. None of "I always knew..." shizz. Cuz none of you did. So I got to celebrate a win against a vastly more talented SC squad in Butch's first season and still see he wasn't the guy in the uninspired, pitiful "win" against UMass in what proved his final season. It allowed me to see the potential growth when Pruitt got our first win against a SECW team (Auburn) in many a moon and openly campaign for him to be gone by the clueless gameplan against Arkansas well before the illegal stuff that sealed his firing in HIS last season. All the while, you and your yipping ilk moaned and gloomed and downplayed and wth you do when puppies aren't available to be thrown over a bridge. For what? YOU affected nothing! Reality happened on it's own timeline. What makes you glorified FFers gravitate towards this forum is the FUN we have with the unknown. This recruit under that coach with this system...could lead to something great and lasting. If it doesn't? You reset It's the spirit of real Vols fans dating back to the 60's when General Neyland departed this mortal coil. No sure thing...fun's in the journey. And your intenerary isn't doomed for eternity in a two-three year window. Diehard FFers can't relate. Need it NOW like it was FOREVER or NEVER AGAIN.

ROAST DN

1708068006046.gif

PS5 and Xbox X are pretty comparable. The Xbox S struggles with games that have taken advantage of this generation of consoles. In fact, the Series S has been a bit of a problem for Xbox because they demand that anything released on Xbox work on both the X and the S and it's made porting games for Xbox difficult for certain titles that take advantage of newer gen hardware. Xbox needed to do what Playstation has done with a few newer gen titles and just released on the X. PS5 did that with the Horizon DLC because it melted PS4s with the demand it placed on them. People weren't happy but this generation of consoles has been out for a few years now and it's understandable that certain games just aren't going to run or run well on older hardware. Xbox's policy on the X/S has meant that games like Baldur's Gate 3 made it to PS5 a lot sooner than Xbox.

As far as sales go, PS5 has absolutely killed Xbox this gen. I'm not sure why either but PS5 sold 22.5 million units compared to the Xbox's 7.6 million over the last year. It's so bad that a lot of people are panicking and claiming Xbox will become a game publisher and give up making consoles but that's nonsense, imo. Xbox's Game Pass is pretty great. I don't know if it will continue to be the value that it is now (probably not given how streaming has started to fall apart and is no longer the value it once was - why am I still paying for netflix?). But for now, it's a very good value. Gamepass Ultimate opens up a lot of the library to your PC, ipad, and other devices. Playstation's service is good too but Gamepass is a bigger bang for your buck, imo.

The Xbox X is probably the winner when it comes to raw power but it's an extremely small difference. I will say that on certain games Xbox does a better job with contrast and color but you would only see the difference if someone took footage of both systems and split screened them. However, the PS5 has a much better out of the box controller (and I favor xbox's offset thumbstick design). The DualSense is great and feels very premium. The controller that comes with Xbox isn't that different from prior controllers and doesn't feel premium. It also doesn't have the features the DualSense does.

But really what won the war is that PS5 has first party games people want to play - Spider-Man, God of War, Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima (last gen but still) and many others. Xbox has Forza, Halo, and Starfield but Xbox has been talking about releasing games on PS5. (Bethesda should never have been put in as an Xbox-exclusive anyway given their history).

Now that being said Xbox has been discounting the hell out of their consoles lately. If you shop around you can pick up an X for a lot less than a PS5 right now. And if all you care about is NCAA 24 it will probably be available on Game Pass for peanuts.
Good post and summary. To add to the bolded part, Xbox never recovered after their absolutely horrendous build up and launch of the Xbox One. A lot of people don't remember now but the Xbox 360 sold pretty much 1 for 1 with the PS3 and was the better received console overall in its generation. Xbox killed itself and lost the console war once and for all with the Xbox One vs PS4. It's just continued with this generation even though the Series X is technically the more powerful console with slightly better, smoother performance. The Playstation is now too entrenched without a similar foot shooting incident imo.

Reactions: UTProf
G.G. Jackson was a top 5 player out of high school.
He moved up in class and had a blah Freshman year at South Carolina last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back