Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
After considering a lot of things over the past week, I believe I've come up with the singular major issue regarding this team and its most recent performances.

This thread was started the week after the Virginia game and this team hasn't looked the same since.

Thanks a lot @frank

I'll be honest, that Austin Peay game took the wind out of me for this season.

I still think we go bowling and if some of the younger talent step up we could make more noise, but when you have to pull 2 OL from the portal (neither were exactly "plug and play" either) and they end up starting it says something about where the roster is.

Per usual everyone is getting their takes off.

If we stabilize vs UTSA then avenge our SC loss from last year in front of an insane Neyland night environment with the dark mode jerseys... we'll be right back in the Top 15 with a lot of buzz for the A&M game. Which I'm sure will be another showcase for Neyland and whatever our team looks like by then (hopefully better)
I wish I could believe, Big Steve. But I fear the ole boy Rattler will DICE US UP in 2 weeks

I'll be honest, that Austin Peay game took the wind out of me for this season.

I still think we go bowling and if some of the younger talent step up we could make more noise, but when you have to pull 2 OL from the portal (neither were exactly "plug and play" either) and they end up starting it says something about where the roster is.
The Florida game confirmed a lot of apprehension the Peay game gave people.

If they struggle with UTSA, all that “just wait until you come to our place,” we gave USCe will come back to bite us because they will most likely beat us again.

Reactions: Big Orange#1
Per usual everyone is getting their takes off.

If we stabilize vs UTSA then avenge our SC loss from last year in front of an insane Neyland night environment with the dark mode jerseys... we'll be right back in the Top 15 with a lot of buzz for the A&M game. Which I'm sure will be another showcase for Neyland and whatever our team looks like by then (hopefully better)
No don’t say this. The negas can’t stand a rational take!!!

Heupel. Calls. The. Plays.
I don't believe he is solely responsible for every single play called. I do believe he gets suggestions and help with the play calling script. In fall camp Halzle even mentioned working on game preparation & the script, as well as the similiarities and differences of how he does it compared to how Golesh did it.

Aside from that, if Heupel has absolutely no outside influence on what he calls, I wish he would open it up more.

Last edited:
The Florida game confirmed a lot of apprehension the Peay game gave people.

If they struggle with UTSA, all that “just wait until you come to our place,” we gave USCe will come back to bite us because they will most likely beat us again.

Yeah I'm not at all excited to see what Spencer freaking Rattler will do to our secondary... and he's never been anyone I worried about before.

But considering we just made Graham Mertz look elite...

Reactions: VolNash17
People get in such a bind over THIS TEAM or THAT TEAM

"If THIS TEAM shows up every week we'll win 'em all!"

"If THAT TEAM shows up, we'll hang 50 on 'em!"

The reality is that we won't be the same team next week that we were last week. We won't be the same team 2 months from now that we are right now. Our opponents won't be the same team next week or when we play them. For whatever reason -- injuries, suspensions, strife, momentum, coaches buckling, coaches flourishing. Sometimes we will get a team's absolute best performance that they will give that season. Sometimes we will put forth the absolute worst performance that we will give that season.

The only sure thing in football is adversity. Adversity may be the most overused word in football, maybe all of sports. But it's because you can count on it. Sometimes you can control it, sometimes you can't, but it shows you and everyone else what you're made of.

So yeah, if the 2023 Vols team that played Florida shows up EVERY GAME the rest of the season, that's going to suck. After years of watching football, I think we know that's not the case. Just like Bama won't always suck as much as they did vs USF, Mizzou won't always be as good as they were vs KSU, and SC won't always be as good as they were against UGA.

The season is young. Pour cement in your cuts or whatever the hell @Ulysees E. McGill does when he buzz saws his hand in half.

People get in such a bind over THIS TEAM or THAT TEAM

"If THIS TEAM shows up every week we'll win 'em all!"

"If THAT TEAM shows up, we'll hang 50 on 'em!"

The reality is that we won't be the same team next week that we were last week. We won't be the same team 2 months from now that we are right now. Our opponents won't be the same team next week or when we play them. For whatever reason -- injuries, suspensions, strife, momentum, coaches buckling, coaches flourishing. Sometimes we will get a team's absolute best performance that they will give that season. Sometimes we will put forth the absolute worst performance that we will give that season.

The only sure thing in football is adversity. Adversity may be the most overused word in football, maybe all of sports. But it's because you can count on it. Sometimes you can control it, sometimes you can't, but it shows you and everyone else what you're made of.

So yeah, if the 2023 Vols team that played Florida shows up EVERY GAME the rest of the season, that's going to suck. After years of watching football, I think we know that's not the case. Just like Bama won't always suck as much as they did vs USF, Mizzou won't always be as good as they were vs KSU, and SC won't always be as good as they were against UGA.

The season is young. Pour cement in your cuts or whatever the hell @Ulysees E. McGill does when he buzz saws his hand in half.
Yep this to a T. Expecting the same Vols against Florida to show up weekly is about equivalent to the same Titans showing up against the Saints. And guess what, they snapped out of it a week later. It’s football. The boys will be fine

Reactions: BigSteve09
It is probably going to happen barring a miracle. We have to hope Rattler reverts to his old inaccurate self.
I doubt anyone thinks it will be easy. But I'm willing to bet there's not a person in that football complex that thinks letting SCAR win a night game in Neyland in front of a packed house would be an okay loss.

Yeah I'm not at all excited to see what Spencer freaking Rattler will do to our secondary... and he's never been anyone I worried about before.

But considering we just made Graham Mertz look elite...
How is 19-24 for 166 yards and 1 passing TD elite? He only got the rushing TD on a QB sneak that the kicker could have converted. They dominated us on the ground and all Mertz had to do was throw short passes bc of how we were lined up.

Nick's either too depressed and/or slipping. I say screw it, @Glitch might as well make the game thread. We did win that game, "just win baby", to quote Al Davis. I got your back Glitch, make a game thread, baby. Plus, you can shoulder all the hate instead of Joe, the OL and Heup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back