Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be honest, that Austin Peay game took the wind out of me for this season.

I still think we go bowling and if some of the younger talent step up we could make more noise, but when you have to pull 2 OL from the portal (neither were exactly "plug and play" either) and they end up starting it says something about where the roster is.
So half of Volnation complains if we don't pull lots of players from the portal to plug directly into the starting lineup, and the other half of Volnation complains if we do. That sounds about right.

We should just expect to play without Coop for the rest of the year.

Bonus if he comes back at any point.
Had a surgeon tell me after my hernia repair that I’d be able to lift at my own discretion after 2 weeks. But I was also 52 and not an elite college lineman. That being said, when one has abdominal surgery, one doesn’t fully heal internally for up to a year, so there’s that too.

I believe the October return mentioned before sounds about right. We’ll see. Until he returns, keep expecting the tons of screen passes, bc our current OL simply doesn’t have it.

I’m disappointed in the loss Saturday.

I am more disappointed in the responses by many of the VN RF regulars. I’m a VFL. No way am I bailing on my Volunteers.

There’s a lot of the season left to play.
Cannot give up on this team.
I've been with them since 1965----through the good and bad and still here. Some of our fans get their panties in a wad because we lose a game or two.

Wins and losses won't make one bit of difference in their daily lives :) :) :)

Yea thought he was a little younger... Gilmore's age...use Lance as a trade piece ....or just roll with it???
Not like Jerry to stand pat. Other teams with even an average starting level CB puts the gouge on imo. Might have to cough up a first rounder. But the alternative is sacrificing a legit shot at the SB.

Reactions: knoxvol52
So half of Volnation complains if we don't pull lots of players from the portal to plug directly into the starting lineup, and the other half of Volnation complains if we do. That sounds about right.
Yes, and which half is complaining about what will randomly and without warning flip and those that were complaining about not taking enough portal players will suddenly be complaining about taking to many.

I think being a good leader would be setting expectations that you are without a player and being prepared to win with the players available. I guess no one has confidence in the backup and they hide it until the last possible minute.
Or they don’t like to talk about injuries anyway. We don’t have the right to know the details.

We have a top 10 class
Not trying to jump on the overly negative train as I think we rebound, but we have a top 10 class at the moment. I'm still thinking 9-3 is on the table. Possibly 8-4. But should we tank, would you really be surprised if some of our commits flipped? Also, if we don't add any more to this class, we are easily in danger of being passed in the rankings. Okoye just committed to OU, and Wingo is looking to be a Texas/Mizzou battle. Mikell and Saleapaga are still on our board, and we're still talking to some guys committed elsewhere, but atm, it's not looking like we'll add much more and will have to rely heavily on the portal.

Reactions: OrangenSC
Its down to 9 and fall, and honestly its not very good. The top is good but the bottom isnt.

We have the 7th best avg player ranking in the country with 20 commits.

The team in 8th has has 23 commits and a lower player ranking.

7th has 24 commits and a lower player ranking.

6th has 21 commits and a lower player ranking.

Not trying to jump on the overly negative train as I think we rebound, but we have a top 10 class at the moment. I'm still thinking 9-3 is on the table. Possibly 8-4. But should we tank, would you really be surprised if some of our commits flipped? Also, if we don't add any more to this class, we are easily in danger of being passed in the rankings. Okoye just committed to OU, and Wingo is looking to be a Texas/Mizzou battle. Mikell and Saleapaga are still on our board, and we're still talking to some guys committed elsewhere, but atm, it's not looking like we'll add much more and will have to rely heavily on the portal.

Yes I would be very surprised if our commits flipped.

Also who cares if someone passes us in rankings if our avg player ranking remains top 7ish? They would only be passing us due to quantity, not quality.

He was limited and missing practice before the procedure in August. So they've been shifting players around and creating multiples as a contingency since the beginning of camp. Nothing has been certain. It's been hope for the best, which we did not get, and prepare for the worst, which has not happened. It would have been much better if Nichols could have stepped in, which was the early expectation.
Is there any hope/ optimism for next seasons OL? The current and the future guys.

I mean in the Clemson game Joe was throwing it to Hyatt and Tillman and receiving blocking from Trey Smith.
Hyatt didn't play in the Orange Bowl. Tillman, Keyton, and Squirrel were the primary targets in that game.

Edit: Reading all the way to the end of the post would have been helpful.

Reactions: SmokinBob
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back