Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm kind of surprised we don't have more official visits set up for games. Cole is listed to visit this weekend. Hopefully he makes it in. Mikell and Okoye are listed to visit for the SCar game. Need Okoye to make it in. And Saleapaga is listed to visit for the Georgia game. That's it so far. It blows my mind that more kids aren't interested in us. Is it the negative spin we get in the media? We have great coaches, great tradition, an unbeatable gameday atmosphere, and we're riding a wave of success. It just seems like more kids would want to jump in. Especially over other SEC programs that aren't enjoying the same level of success.
Look at fall visiting schedules at every school. It’s down across the board. Kids just want to commit early and focus on their seasons/graduate early.

Pretty interesting, Pili came out of the game 4 minutes into the second quarter. Herring played with the starters starting with UVAs 2nd possession in the second Q at the 5 min mark. He did just as much as Pili, he was also more aggressive in open field tackling (probably due to Pili injured early)

You can see him being more vocal as well setting up the defense as soon as he gets in the game
So Pili racked up his stats in only 20 plays and still nearly led the team in tackles.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
Secks does not need food to make it better. Keep your mayo love away from me!
R.eaf57bf67e38745cb06c82e45f97ff6a

I'm kind of surprised we don't have more official visits set up for games. Cole is listed to visit this weekend. Hopefully he makes it in. Mikell and Okoye are listed to visit for the SCar game. Need Okoye to make it in. And Saleapaga is listed to visit for the Georgia game. That's it so far. It blows my mind that more kids aren't interested in us. Is it the negative spin we get in the media? We have great coaches, great tradition, an unbeatable gameday atmosphere, and we're riding a wave of success. It just seems like more kids would want to jump in. Especially over other SEC programs that aren't enjoying the same level of success.

As fans we tend to overreact to Week 1 in college football. Every team that lost is terrible and the coach is on the hot seat while all the winners are making hotel reservations for the playoffs. It seems recruits don’t change their minds this fast and most of our class is done anyway. In this situation I think it’s fair to say “Will be find”.

Keenan Pili injury could be a monumental loss and/or a blessing in disguise. The young guys are going to get thrust to the fire and learn fast. Hopefully they're ready and I do think in the long run they'll be better players. But it could cost us a game early not having Pili directing the defense and being the veteran general.
Do y’all just choose to forget that Beasley directed the defense towards end of last year?

Prayers needed VN. I posted on here that our daughter told us on Father's Day that she was expecting. We just found out that our grandson has a genetic disorder called Trisomy 13. It is 100 percent fatal. Prayers needed at this time.
So very sorry. It's so heartbreaking for parents to lose a child. Praying for God's peace and comfort to your family.

He came back in 3rd quarter. Nice try on spinning your narrative though! If only google wasn’t a thing
View attachment 576673
I'm not spinning a narrative? I'm not the one that said he came out early in the 2nd quarter and 4 tackles is what was reported.

Edit: You're literally the one who said he came out in the 2nd quarter. Also 2/2 is recorded as 4 tackles, and you can clearly see that here. If only Google wasn't a thing.

Pili still had that production in fewer snaps, even if he returned in the 3rd temporarily. Why is that objective fact controversial?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230907-073921_ESPN.jpg
    Screenshot_20230907-073921_ESPN.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
No. Beasley's presence doesn't mean losing Pili isn't even a slight blow.

I'm not hand-wringing. I think we will be fine and I like the dudes we have.
Could be monumental loss, could cost us a game early without him… sounds hand wringing when the most important LB on the roster is Beasley

Could be monumental loss, could cost us a game early without him… sounds hand wringing when the most important LB on the roster is Beasley
Saying "these are things that could happen" is not hand-wringing. I didn't say I think they would happen. I also said I think our guys will be better off in the long run, and I'm saying I personally think we will be fine. But admitting there is a chance it could be a big loss is just rational. Any time you lose an experienced starter can be a big loss (kinda like not have Banks for the South Carolina game).

I'm usually accused of being the perennial sunshine pumper so this is new.

Saying "these are things that could happen" is not hand-wringing. I didn't say I think they would happen. I also said I think our guys will be better off in the long run, and I'm saying I personally think we will be fine. But admitting there is a chance it could be a big loss is just rational. Any time you lose an experienced starter can be a big loss (kinda like not have Banks for the South Carolina game).

Only reason I replied to you giving you a hard time is because I’ve seen multiple folks last 2 days so so worried about Pili and game calls without any credit to Beasley and all

All that to say, it’s not specifically directed at you, just at the overall group too worried about Pili being hurt

We have the 7th ranked class in the country…..

Pili was brought in for a reason so it’s definitely not good to lose him. I just hope he returns quickly.

I'm not spinning a narrative? I'm not the one that said he came out early in the 2nd quarter and 4 tackles is what was reported.

Edit: You're literally the one who said he came out in the 2nd quarter. Also 2/2 is recorded as 4 tackles, and you can clearly see that here. If only Google wasn't a thing.

Pili still had that production in fewer snaps, even if he returned in the 3rd temporarily. Why is that objective fact controversial?
“So Pili racked up his stats in only 20 plays and still nearly led the team in tackles“

You are clearly acting like he’s the Ray Lewis of the defense with this statement. Your narrative is that our LB group is effed without him

Reactions: knoxvol52
Only reason I replied to you giving you a hard time is because I’ve seen multiple folks last 2 days so so worried about Pili and game calls without any credit to Beasley and all

All that to say, it’s not specifically directed at you, just at the overall group too worried about Pili being hurt
That's fair. I can see how my original post was chicken-little-ish. Again I personally think we will be alright but might have growing pains. I do hope Pili is able to return this season.

“So Pili racked up his stats in only 20 plays and still nearly led the team in tackles“

You are clearly acting like he’s the Ray Lewis of the defense with this statement. Your narrative is that our LB group is effed without him
Thats what you think my narrative is based on one matter-of-fact sentence? Who pissed in your Wheaties this morning man?😂 I mean I see where you might've picked up that as my underlying sentiment but it isn't the case.

I don't have a narrative! I don't think we are effed. I think the linebacker corp is the deepest group we have on defense actually. We will be fine. But I think there will be growing pains. I'm excited to see what Herring, Perry, Carter, and Telander can do.

I made that comment because it's actually decent context and because I saw someone last night say something along the lines of "well he only had 4 tackles so that shouldn't be hard to replace" and I think that's a myopic view.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back