Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rattler eat our defense alive last year...our defense is little better...Milton is not on his level...QB is the games most important position and they are better than us at that position...and our OL is garbage to this point.

I don't understand how that is not apparent to you...this has not a damn thing to do with emotion, if anything, your position is based on emotion...not mine.

I want to win the game and I hope you are right.
You know what might make him look closer to Joe's level?

Playing in Neyland at night in a revenge game where his offensive line struggles with blocking and false starts.

He was limited and missing practice before the procedure in August. So they've been shifting players around and creating multiples as a contingency since the beginning of camp. Nothing has been certain. It's been hope for the best, which we did not get, and prepare for the worst, which has not happened. It would have been much better if Nichols could have stepped in, which was the early expectation.
Really that's been the biggest disappointment is Nichols. He probably wasn't prepared going into the season that he'd be majorly needed. Would've been nice if he'd been preparing all offseason to compete for the starting job.

Here's another concern: right now he's going to be expected to be the starting center next year. Lane, Davis, and Mays will presumably be gone.

Reactions: knoxvol52
Really that's been the biggest disappointment is Nichols. He probably wasn't prepared going into the season that he'd be majorly needed. Would've been nice if he'd been preparing all offseason to compete for the starting job.

Here's another concern: right now he's going to be expected to be the starting center next year. Lane, Davis, and Mays will presumably be gone.
Watch for Lang at C next year (if not addressed in the portal).

Nichols is a redshirt freshman who hasn’t beat out Spraggins or (VN’s offseason whipping boy) Karic. So THAT disappointment is the basis for the desperate narrative reach for bust. Not believing he wasn’t prepared…simply that Karic was underrated. No one expected Nichols to supplant Spraggins, so this is sour grapes that Karic has seemingly outperformed Nichols (and Spraggins for that matter imo). As for center? Trey Smith was a generational player who said he couldn’t play that position. I don’t see Nichols any differently. He’s been more a nuclear option and the coaches would look to Parker Ball first. Sometimes what WE want isn’t a fit.

Last edited:
Yea this is the year not to screw around...stellar defense...Dak seems to like McCarthy calling the plays...go get a CB Jerry at all cost....that number 20 or above pick in round one is worth it...
Been surprised at the playcalling. McCarthy has them sharp.

I think the coaches have made a portal center a top priority already

Milton's "documented inability" based off of the assessment of Volnation posters? I'm even one of the people that thinks he reads/processes slowly, but I wouldn't claim that his inability to read/process quickly is "documented".
I think this is an insightful, underrated post. I think the attitude that rubs so many of us the wrong way is not the presenting of opinions, even negative ones. Many do that without pushback.

Rather it's posters giving opinions, but acting like it's fact, you know, documented. So they repeat it over and over.

And dadgumit, you'd better not try to call them on it.

Its down to 9 and fall, and honestly its not very good. The top is good but the bottom isnt.
It’s a step in the right direction. Some of the players committed might even get a pink slip. No one knows just yet. I’ll take a 91.68 average for 24’. Finish this season 9-3 and 25’ might even be better

Got to remember recruiting isn’t in its full potential yet at Tennessee. It’s year 3 and still building momentum. Eventually you’ll see it even better IMO. Draw a 300 mile radius around Knoxville and you have just as much talent available as anywhere else in the nation. Knoxville and Athens are very close. Heupel and staff aren’t done yet

Got to remember recruiting isn’t in its full potential yet at Tennessee. It’s year 3 and still building momentum. Eventually you’ll see it even better IMO. Draw a 300 mile radius around Knoxville and you have just as much talent available as anywhere else in the nation. Knoxville and Athens are very close. Heupel and staff aren’t done yet
Its so important that we keep on field momentum to keep the recruiting momentum going. I feel like less than 8 wins would definitely hurt the momentum

The sentiment from people inside the program is that Nichols might not ever be counted on as a starter. Which is unfortunate because he does have physical size and talent. He is a phenomenal young man. Probably going to be a CEO or something. Smart, very straight-laced. Very mature. But his interests are very strong outside of football. Not sure there is competitive drive needed at this level. Does not have that dawg in him. I would love for him to develop and make those people liars.

Sounds like what everyone says during bad coaching hires and bad coaching decisions. Not saying anything about Heupel as I think he is the man. But even great coaches making bad decisions.

Slaughter sitting bench last year for so long.-
Milton over a Hooker until an injury.

Sometimes they are blinded by practice and just trying to force something that isn’t working.
You're still talking like you have all the data that CJH had when he made those decisions. You don't. I am sure he has made some bad decisions. That doesn't mean the ones you refer to were bad at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back