Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drove to Disney today for my daughters break…

Passed Gainesville on the way.

All I have to say is F*** the Gators and those crooked a** refs.

Got yelled at for saying F this place. I guess six and three year old girls shouldn’t hate Gainesville like I do.
I’ll be making the same drive Saturday. Preparing myself to be yelled at too.

He was limited and missing practice before the procedure in August. So they've been shifting players around and creating multiples as a contingency since the beginning of camp. Nothing has been certain. It's been hope for the best, which we did not get, and prepare for the worst, which has not happened. It would have been much better if Nichols could have stepped in, which was the early expectation.

Will Nichols ever be serviceable or should he transfer down?

Reactions: LA Vol
Rattler eat our defense alive last year...our defense is little better...Milton is not on his level...QB is the games most important position and they are better than us at that position...and our OL is garbage to this point.

I don't understand how that is not apparent to you...this has not a damn thing to do with emotion, if anything, your position is based on emotion...not mine.

I want to win the game and I hope you are right.
Scary that now looks like we can say that for most of our remaining conference opponents

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
Did anyone else notice the announcer saying that Castles' block was not a penalty, that slow motion gave a false impression of what happened, and asking more than once for the broadcast booth to play it at normal speed? But they never did.
Herbstreit, Fowler and the rules expert all stated the block wasn't a penalty....you are speaking of the crack back block rite??? That wasn't one

ScreenHunter 1169.png

These are the high school stats for Hendon, Joe, and Nico. They’re from MaxPreps. What stood out to me was Hendon’s rushing stats. They were phenomenal. In 3 years he rushed for 2975 yards and 48 TDs. He passed for 6027 yards and 55 TDs with 14 interceptions in 527 attempts. Those rushing number are eye popping and maybe go a long ways to explaining how he could so fluidly make plays with his feet. jmo.

Joe had 35 passing TDs in 549 attempts over 3 years and 11 rushing TDs. Nico had 75 passing TDs in 592 passing attempts to 7 interceptions and 10 rushing TDs.

Neither Joe nor Nico seems to have really started running all that much until later in their high school careers while Hendon took off from the beginning. When people say the QB was running for his life because his offensive line was suspect it seems Hendon was the guy you’d want. I do think we’re missing his legs this year. jmo.

Maybe something to keep in mind that I’ve discovered in the past is when looking at the NCAA passer rating for a QB, all else being considered, the average yards per attempt seems to have much more influence in driving the rating higher than any of the other variables. jmo.

Anyway, Joe’s passer rating last year was 204.33 on 82 attempts with 10 TDs and no Interceptions. His yards per attempt was at 11.8 and on the year he completed 64.6% of his passes. This year his rating through the first 3 games is 144.27 with 6 TDs and 1 interception. Obviously drops impact that and that shows up in his yards per attempt falling to 7.4 while completing 63.6% of his passes.

I’ve played around with my model for the NCAA passer rating and without the drops my estimate is Joe’s passer rating would be north of 175 and his average yards per attempt would be north of 9.0. His completion percentage might be around 74%. He’d probably have at least another couple of TDs as well. I know. If we had some ham we could have ham and eggs, if we had some eggs. lol. jmo.

I’m pointing this out because Joey Halzle raised a few eyebrows this week when he said Joe was operating the offense at a high level. Fans, commentators, and media focus most of their attention on the QB but I think the staff probably correctly evaluates the position taking into consideration how the other guys on the field are also performing. jmo.

Heupel has stressed this week, especially I think on Vol Calls that it really does take all 11 guys and what he thinks many fans may be missing is that the big picture is painted with a lot of little details that the fans may not be seeing. He thinks as we get better at those details and start playing with 11 guys more in sync on increasing numbers of plays the big picture with take care of itself and our offense will be off to the races again. That’s my interpretation of what I’ve heard. jmo.

One of the other things that Heupel talked about on Vol Calls was penalties. We had 10 against Florida. I was thinking, so, we had 12 penalties on the road against LSU and still scored 40 points. Well, I went back and looked and we only had 3 penalties on the offense in our game at LSU, none on the line. The other 9 penalties in that game were mostly on the defense with a couple on special teams. Details. jmo.

All this is to say assuming no locker room issues which I don’t think we have, I expect our offense will take a big jump this week. jmo.

Josh Heupel on this week's SEC teleconference: On the role the fans can play vs. UTSA

"First of all, (UTSA) is a really good football team. I said it earlier, they're proud, they're competitive, they're tough, they're physical and they're coached well. They have really good players in all three phases of the football game, so it will be important for us that we show up with the right mindset, competitive spirit, that we compete really hard but as always, man, our stadium is as good as anywhere, if not the best in the country. I know our fans are disappointed in last week's performance, but at the end of the day, man, we're going to need them on Saturday. I expect Vol Navy to be packed and I expect, you know, 35,000 at Vol Walk. Once that ball is kicked off, the energy inside the stadium is going to be important. We need to make it as tough of a road environment as we possibly can. Our fans are consistent. They do that every week."

Josh Heupel on Vol Calls this week:

“And, man, it needs to be loud inside of that stadium. We need a great home-field advantage. I haven’t been here when it hasn’t been a great home-field advantage, man. Listen, our fan base, the expectations that they have, we welcome that, because that’s what we expect of ourselves, too. And we’re disappointed in last week, but that’s last week. If we hold onto that thing, man, it’s going to effect you moving forward. There’s a lot of football to be played, lot of opportunity. We need to go play well this Saturday. We need our fans to be a huge part of the football game on Saturday.”

Is the UTSA game on TV or do we have to watch a Russian feed?
I watched several USOpen tennis matches from a Georgia (country) feed and didn't miss listening to John McEnroe one bit haha. All I ever really understood from the few words of commentary were American terms and the word "idiot" once in a while. NGL, it was better than ESPN would have done.

BTW, in general my default pirated live stream choice is Buffstreams because we can choose the quality of the video and there are usually 10-12 feeds to choose from.

Reactions: 85SugarVol
View attachment 581256

These are the high school stats for Hendon, Joe, and Nico. They’re from MaxPreps. What stood out to me was Hendon’s rushing stats. They were phenomenal. In 3 years he rushed for 2975 yards and 48 TDs. He passed for 6027 yards and 55 TDs with 14 interceptions in 527 attempts. Those rushing number are eye popping and maybe go a long ways to explaining how he could so fluidly make plays with his feet. jmo.

Joe had 35 passing TDs in 549 attempts over 3 years and 11 rushing TDs. Nico had 75 passing TDs in 592 passing attempts to 7 interceptions and 10 rushing TDs.

Neither Joe nor Nico seems to have really started running all that much until later in their high school careers while Hendon took off from the beginning. When people say the QB was running for his life because his offensive line was suspect it seems Hendon was the guy you’d want. I do think we’re missing his legs this year. jmo.

Maybe something to keep in mind that I’ve discovered in the past is when looking at the NCAA passer rating for a QB, all else being considered, the average yards per attempt seems to have much more influence in driving the rating higher than any of the other variables. jmo.

Anyway, Joe’s passer rating last year was 204.33 on 82 attempts with 10 TDs and no Interceptions. His yards per attempt was at 11.8 and on the year he completed 64.6% of his passes. This year his rating through the first 3 games is 144.27 with 6 TDs and 1 interception. Obviously drops impact that and that shows up in his yards per attempt falling to 7.4 while completing 63.6% of his passes.

I’ve played around with my model for the NCAA passer rating and without the drops my estimate is Joe’s passer rating would be north of 175 and his average yards per attempt would be north of 9.0. His completion percentage might be around 74%. He’d probably have at least another couple of TDs as well. I know. If we had some ham we could have ham and eggs, if we had some eggs. lol. jmo.

I’m pointing this out because Joey Halzle raised a few eyebrows this week when he said Joe was operating the offense at a high level. Fans, commentators, and media focus most of their attention on the QB but I think the staff probably correctly evaluates the position taking into consideration how the other guys on the field are also performing. jmo.

Heupel has stressed this week, especially I think on Vol Calls that it really does take all 11 guys and what he thinks many fans may be missing is that the big picture is painted with a lot of little details that the fans may not be seeing. He thinks as we get better at those details and start playing with 11 guys more in sync on increasing numbers of plays the big picture with take care of itself and our offense will be off to the races again. That’s my interpretation of what I’ve heard. jmo.

One of the other things that Heupel talked about on Vol Calls was penalties. We had 10 against Florida. I was thinking, so, we had 12 penalties on the road against LSU and still scored 40 points. Well, I went back and looked and we only had 3 penalties on the offense in our game at LSU, none on the line. The other 9 penalties in that game were mostly on the defense with a couple on special teams. Details. jmo.

All this is to say assuming no locker room issues which I don’t think we have, I expect our offense will take a big jump this week. jmo.

Josh Heupel on this week's SEC teleconference: On the role the fans can play vs. UTSA

"First of all, (UTSA) is a really good football team. I said it earlier, they're proud, they're competitive, they're tough, they're physical and they're coached well. They have really good players in all three phases of the football game, so it will be important for us that we show up with the right mindset, competitive spirit, that we compete really hard but as always, man, our stadium is as good as anywhere, if not the best in the country. I know our fans are disappointed in last week's performance, but at the end of the day, man, we're going to need them on Saturday. I expect Vol Navy to be packed and I expect, you know, 35,000 at Vol Walk. Once that ball is kicked off, the energy inside the stadium is going to be important. We need to make it as tough of a road environment as we possibly can. Our fans are consistent. They do that every week."

Josh Heupel on Vol Calls this week:

“And, man, it needs to be loud inside of that stadium. We need a great home-field advantage. I haven’t been here when it hasn’t been a great home-field advantage, man. Listen, our fan base, the expectations that they have, we welcome that, because that’s what we expect of ourselves, too. And we’re disappointed in last week, but that’s last week. If we hold onto that thing, man, it’s going to effect you moving forward. There’s a lot of football to be played, lot of opportunity. We need to go play well this Saturday. We need our fans to be a huge part of the football game on Saturday.”
Excellent post and the coach was about as polite as he could be about discussing things fans might not notice. A lot of thing are very difficult to notice when attending a game, but watching video makes it much easier.

I like your analysis because those details and stats ARE football.

BTW, in the pros, one of the most important stats that quickly sum up how good QB is YAC, which is yards after the catch. A very well thrown, catchable ball results in a lot more yards after the catch because the timing is perfect and the QB hits the receiver in stride. That is very different that an back shoulder catch and having to turn. At that point both players are happy to the receiver caught the ball, but if a qb can lay the ball in front of the receiver and catch him in stride? WOW, what a difference it makes because he has momentum and his entire body shields the ball. Just wanted to throw that in there. I read a long article written by scouts about YAC and that for them, it's where they start.

I think UT fans will totally change their minds about Milton starting this week. While everyone else is screaming for Nico, go look up Nico's weight then imagine the D line for Georgia or LSU getting ahold of him: He will literally get injured, not just hurt. Nico 6'6" tall and 206. That's a twig waiting to be snapped. I promise you, the coaches have him on a mission to put on muscle because he won't last one hit and can be taken down with one hand by any d-line on LSU or UGA to the point of breaking something or damaging a joint. He's not ready, not even close yet.

Another fact from a notorious, great QB, Tom Brady: I get rid of the ball after 1.7 seconds. It's what I do. I required it and demanded I get it. After that, I'm throwing the ball away or I'm going to eventually take a big hit.

Brady made a BIG deal out his 1.7 and that it WASN'T 1.8 or 1.9 sec. He taught himself how long that is and made it clear to belichick and coordinators, that's his minimum and that they can either the people needed to give him that amount of protection or he's throwing the ball away and if they don't like it, they can bench. haha, I love it that he was smart enough to know what he needed and wasn't flexible on that issue and he was smart enough to know 15-20 years ago that the only way to become a great qb is to be on the field and to be there, he can't take big hit or just as bad, follow through and have his thumb hit someone's helmet. Staying healthy and getting snaps is how he got good. He completely admits he wasn't born talented, knew practice wasn't nearly as good at teaching him the game compared to taking as many regular season, in-game snaps as he could.

Also, 1/3 to 1/2 the fan base of UGA didn't like Stetson Bennett even though he didn't lose a game. So much so that Kirby pretty much raged at the fans and press to just "shut it" when it comes to Stetson and that he (kirby) has made the decision, but if anyone in the press asks about switching qbs, Kirby will ignore them for as long as he's coach. haha, man was he pissed off about having ANY QB controversy. He implied that fans don't what to look for in a qb if they think someone else should be QB. I was surprised by all of that and remember it because up until then Kirby was all smiles, patient etc with fans and the press, but he definitely lost it that day. haha

I think trying to grow a football team with the portal is going to be THE difference in which programs emerge and which ones fade away because while people discuss getting that one guy that might be the missing piece to the puzzle, TWO current guy could leave. The future of managing a football team is going to be chaotic more than most people think because it's so easy to lose a top player now. NIL money and the lure of the NFL puts coaches in an awkward spot, but who can't manage that chaos the best are the teams that will play for a championship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back