Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 581256

These are the high school stats for Hendon, Joe, and Nico. They’re from MaxPreps. What stood out to me was Hendon’s rushing stats. They were phenomenal. In 3 years he rushed for 2975 yards and 48 TDs. He passed for 6027 yards and 55 TDs with 14 interceptions in 527 attempts. Those rushing number are eye popping and maybe go a long ways to explaining how he could so fluidly make plays with his feet. jmo.

Joe had 35 passing TDs in 549 attempts over 3 years and 11 rushing TDs. Nico had 75 passing TDs in 592 passing attempts to 7 interceptions and 10 rushing TDs.

Neither Joe nor Nico seems to have really started running all that much until later in their high school careers while Hendon took off from the beginning. When people say the QB was running for his life because his offensive line was suspect it seems Hendon was the guy you’d want. I do think we’re missing his legs this year. jmo.

Maybe something to keep in mind that I’ve discovered in the past is when looking at the NCAA passer rating for a QB, all else being considered, the average yards per attempt seems to have much more influence in driving the rating higher than any of the other variables. jmo.

Anyway, Joe’s passer rating last year was 204.33 on 82 attempts with 10 TDs and no Interceptions. His yards per attempt was at 11.8 and on the year he completed 64.6% of his passes. This year his rating through the first 3 games is 144.27 with 6 TDs and 1 interception. Obviously drops impact that and that shows up in his yards per attempt falling to 7.4 while completing 63.6% of his passes.

I’ve played around with my model for the NCAA passer rating and without the drops my estimate is Joe’s passer rating would be north of 175 and his average yards per attempt would be north of 9.0. His completion percentage might be around 74%. He’d probably have at least another couple of TDs as well. I know. If we had some ham we could have ham and eggs, if we had some eggs. lol. jmo.

I’m pointing this out because Joey Halzle raised a few eyebrows this week when he said Joe was operating the offense at a high level. Fans, commentators, and media focus most of their attention on the QB but I think the staff probably correctly evaluates the position taking into consideration how the other guys on the field are also performing. jmo.

Heupel has stressed this week, especially I think on Vol Calls that it really does take all 11 guys and what he thinks many fans may be missing is that the big picture is painted with a lot of little details that the fans may not be seeing. He thinks as we get better at those details and start playing with 11 guys more in sync on increasing numbers of plays the big picture with take care of itself and our offense will be off to the races again. That’s my interpretation of what I’ve heard. jmo.

One of the other things that Heupel talked about on Vol Calls was penalties. We had 10 against Florida. I was thinking, so, we had 12 penalties on the road against LSU and still scored 40 points. Well, I went back and looked and we only had 3 penalties on the offense in our game at LSU, none on the line. The other 9 penalties in that game were mostly on the defense with a couple on special teams. Details. jmo.

All this is to say assuming no locker room issues which I don’t think we have, I expect our offense will take a big jump this week. jmo.

Josh Heupel on this week's SEC teleconference: On the role the fans can play vs. UTSA

"First of all, (UTSA) is a really good football team. I said it earlier, they're proud, they're competitive, they're tough, they're physical and they're coached well. They have really good players in all three phases of the football game, so it will be important for us that we show up with the right mindset, competitive spirit, that we compete really hard but as always, man, our stadium is as good as anywhere, if not the best in the country. I know our fans are disappointed in last week's performance, but at the end of the day, man, we're going to need them on Saturday. I expect Vol Navy to be packed and I expect, you know, 35,000 at Vol Walk. Once that ball is kicked off, the energy inside the stadium is going to be important. We need to make it as tough of a road environment as we possibly can. Our fans are consistent. They do that every week."

Josh Heupel on Vol Calls this week:

“And, man, it needs to be loud inside of that stadium. We need a great home-field advantage. I haven’t been here when it hasn’t been a great home-field advantage, man. Listen, our fan base, the expectations that they have, we welcome that, because that’s what we expect of ourselves, too. And we’re disappointed in last week, but that’s last week. If we hold onto that thing, man, it’s going to effect you moving forward. There’s a lot of football to be played, lot of opportunity. We need to go play well this Saturday. We need our fans to be a huge part of the football game on Saturday.”
That checks out (re: Joe). Very meh.

Reactions: Okboomer
View attachment 581256

These are the high school stats for Hendon, Joe, and Nico. They’re from MaxPreps. What stood out to me was Hendon’s rushing stats. They were phenomenal. In 3 years he rushed for 2975 yards and 48 TDs. He passed for 6027 yards and 55 TDs with 14 interceptions in 527 attempts. Those rushing number are eye popping and maybe go a long ways to explaining how he could so fluidly make plays with his feet. jmo.

Joe had 35 passing TDs in 549 attempts over 3 years and 11 rushing TDs. Nico had 75 passing TDs in 592 passing attempts to 7 interceptions and 10 rushing TDs.

Neither Joe nor Nico seems to have really started running all that much until later in their high school careers while Hendon took off from the beginning. When people say the QB was running for his life because his offensive line was suspect it seems Hendon was the guy you’d want. I do think we’re missing his legs this year. jmo.

Maybe something to keep in mind that I’ve discovered in the past is when looking at the NCAA passer rating for a QB, all else being considered, the average yards per attempt seems to have much more influence in driving the rating higher than any of the other variables. jmo.

Anyway, Joe’s passer rating last year was 204.33 on 82 attempts with 10 TDs and no Interceptions. His yards per attempt was at 11.8 and on the year he completed 64.6% of his passes. This year his rating through the first 3 games is 144.27 with 6 TDs and 1 interception. Obviously drops impact that and that shows up in his yards per attempt falling to 7.4 while completing 63.6% of his passes.

I’ve played around with my model for the NCAA passer rating and without the drops my estimate is Joe’s passer rating would be north of 175 and his average yards per attempt would be north of 9.0. His completion percentage might be around 74%. He’d probably have at least another couple of TDs as well. I know. If we had some ham we could have ham and eggs, if we had some eggs. lol. jmo.

I’m pointing this out because Joey Halzle raised a few eyebrows this week when he said Joe was operating the offense at a high level. Fans, commentators, and media focus most of their attention on the QB but I think the staff probably correctly evaluates the position taking into consideration how the other guys on the field are also performing. jmo.

Heupel has stressed this week, especially I think on Vol Calls that it really does take all 11 guys and what he thinks many fans may be missing is that the big picture is painted with a lot of little details that the fans may not be seeing. He thinks as we get better at those details and start playing with 11 guys more in sync on increasing numbers of plays the big picture with take care of itself and our offense will be off to the races again. That’s my interpretation of what I’ve heard. jmo.

One of the other things that Heupel talked about on Vol Calls was penalties. We had 10 against Florida. I was thinking, so, we had 12 penalties on the road against LSU and still scored 40 points. Well, I went back and looked and we only had 3 penalties on the offense in our game at LSU, none on the line. The other 9 penalties in that game were mostly on the defense with a couple on special teams. Details. jmo.

All this is to say assuming no locker room issues which I don’t think we have, I expect our offense will take a big jump this week. jmo.

Josh Heupel on this week's SEC teleconference: On the role the fans can play vs. UTSA

"First of all, (UTSA) is a really good football team. I said it earlier, they're proud, they're competitive, they're tough, they're physical and they're coached well. They have really good players in all three phases of the football game, so it will be important for us that we show up with the right mindset, competitive spirit, that we compete really hard but as always, man, our stadium is as good as anywhere, if not the best in the country. I know our fans are disappointed in last week's performance, but at the end of the day, man, we're going to need them on Saturday. I expect Vol Navy to be packed and I expect, you know, 35,000 at Vol Walk. Once that ball is kicked off, the energy inside the stadium is going to be important. We need to make it as tough of a road environment as we possibly can. Our fans are consistent. They do that every week."

Josh Heupel on Vol Calls this week:

“And, man, it needs to be loud inside of that stadium. We need a great home-field advantage. I haven’t been here when it hasn’t been a great home-field advantage, man. Listen, our fan base, the expectations that they have, we welcome that, because that’s what we expect of ourselves, too. And we’re disappointed in last week, but that’s last week. If we hold onto that thing, man, it’s going to effect you moving forward. There’s a lot of football to be played, lot of opportunity. We need to go play well this Saturday. We need our fans to be a huge part of the football game on Saturday.”
The brouhaha about the remarks by Halzle were an (unfortunately) successful hit job by the anti-Vol KNS. They asked him whether there were ways starting Nico would have been better, in order to fuel criticism of Joe and manufacture "controversy" or discontent. Then when he answered "No" to them, they omitted that part of his answer. Then misrepresented the remainder as if it were Halzle's spontaneous thoughts on the game. So they got their hit piece in, either way.

Naturally they didn't report on the highly questionable officiating, which they could do, while the coaches were prohibited from it.

Heup is serious when he says he is not going to play Nico until he thinks Nico is ready. When Heup thinks Nico is ready, Joe will finally be able to run more. I think that's one constraint on the offense. If we still had Tayvon, Joe would have been running since game one. My take. I don't know anyone who thinks Nico will not ultimately be better. But in Heup's view, apparently, that presupposes that he is brought along the right way.

I wish we could get a big lead and see him some this week.

P.S. There was an uncalled face mask penalty on Joe's run for the 2 pt conversion. One of many game-changing calls or no-calls.
I really do wonder how different our (my own included) perception would be of this team if the refs had not played such a huge role in our struggles the past two weeks?

Why is this happening?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back