Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 581256

These are the high school stats for Hendon, Joe, and Nico. Theyā€™re from MaxPreps. What stood out to me was Hendonā€™s rushing stats. They were phenomenal. In 3 years he rushed for 2975 yards and 48 TDs. He passed for 6027 yards and 55 TDs with 14 interceptions in 527 attempts. Those rushing number are eye popping and maybe go a long ways to explaining how he could so fluidly make plays with his feet. jmo.

Joe had 35 passing TDs in 549 attempts over 3 years and 11 rushing TDs. Nico had 75 passing TDs in 592 passing attempts to 7 interceptions and 10 rushing TDs.

Neither Joe nor Nico seems to have really started running all that much until later in their high school careers while Hendon took off from the beginning. When people say the QB was running for his life because his offensive line was suspect it seems Hendon was the guy youā€™d want. I do think weā€™re missing his legs this year. jmo.

Maybe something to keep in mind that Iā€™ve discovered in the past is when looking at the NCAA passer rating for a QB, all else being considered, the average yards per attempt seems to have much more influence in driving the rating higher than any of the other variables. jmo.

Anyway, Joeā€™s passer rating last year was 204.33 on 82 attempts with 10 TDs and no Interceptions. His yards per attempt was at 11.8 and on the year he completed 64.6% of his passes. This year his rating through the first 3 games is 144.27 with 6 TDs and 1 interception. Obviously drops impact that and that shows up in his yards per attempt falling to 7.4 while completing 63.6% of his passes.

Iā€™ve played around with my model for the NCAA passer rating and without the drops my estimate is Joeā€™s passer rating would be north of 175 and his average yards per attempt would be north of 9.0. His completion percentage might be around 74%. Heā€™d probably have at least another couple of TDs as well. I know. If we had some ham we could have ham and eggs, if we had some eggs. lol. jmo.

Iā€™m pointing this out because Joey Halzle raised a few eyebrows this week when he said Joe was operating the offense at a high level. Fans, commentators, and media focus most of their attention on the QB but I think the staff probably correctly evaluates the position taking into consideration how the other guys on the field are also performing. jmo.

Heupel has stressed this week, especially I think on Vol Calls that it really does take all 11 guys and what he thinks many fans may be missing is that the big picture is painted with a lot of little details that the fans may not be seeing. He thinks as we get better at those details and start playing with 11 guys more in sync on increasing numbers of plays the big picture with take care of itself and our offense will be off to the races again. Thatā€™s my interpretation of what Iā€™ve heard. jmo.

One of the other things that Heupel talked about on Vol Calls was penalties. We had 10 against Florida. I was thinking, so, we had 12 penalties on the road against LSU and still scored 40 points. Well, I went back and looked and we only had 3 penalties on the offense in our game at LSU, none on the line. The other 9 penalties in that game were mostly on the defense with a couple on special teams. Details. jmo.

All this is to say assuming no locker room issues which I donā€™t think we have, I expect our offense will take a big jump this week. jmo.

Josh Heupel on this week's SEC teleconference: On the role the fans can play vs. UTSA

"First of all, (UTSA) is a really good football team. I said it earlier, they're proud, they're competitive, they're tough, they're physical and they're coached well. They have really good players in all three phases of the football game, so it will be important for us that we show up with the right mindset, competitive spirit, that we compete really hard but as always, man, our stadium is as good as anywhere, if not the best in the country. I know our fans are disappointed in last week's performance, but at the end of the day, man, we're going to need them on Saturday. I expect Vol Navy to be packed and I expect, you know, 35,000 at Vol Walk. Once that ball is kicked off, the energy inside the stadium is going to be important. We need to make it as tough of a road environment as we possibly can. Our fans are consistent. They do that every week."

Josh Heupel on Vol Calls this week:

ā€œAnd, man, it needs to be loud inside of that stadium. We need a great home-field advantage. I havenā€™t been here when it hasnā€™t been a great home-field advantage, man. Listen, our fan base, the expectations that they have, we welcome that, because thatā€™s what we expect of ourselves, too. And weā€™re disappointed in last week, but thatā€™s last week. If we hold onto that thing, man, itā€™s going to effect you moving forward. Thereā€™s a lot of football to be played, lot of opportunity. We need to go play well this Saturday. We need our fans to be a huge part of the football game on Saturday.ā€
I think if the offense ever has breakout day in the passing game that confidence will soar...it is amazing to me how much effect that confidence has in "getting out of your head" and playing quick instead of being just a second slow.

I think that is a huge issue so far....too many guys thinking too much instead of just seeing and reacting.

LMAO ok buddy. again, changing the narrativešŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚
Where did I do that.
AM and UF are schools in the upper echelon of the league. They are respected by the national media and recruit well every year.

SCAR only gets media attention when their coach is being weird, and a good season for them is going to the mayonnaise bowl. They're a team you look at pre season and just chalk up a W I'd you're in the top half of the league.

Where did I do that.
AM and UF are schools in the upper echelon of the league. They are respected by the national media and recruit well every year.

SCAR only gets media attention when their coach is being weird, and a good season for them is going to the mayonnaise bowl. They're a team you look at pre season and just chalk up a W I'd you're in the top half of the league.
No, you literally said beating a 6-6 team is a meh win. Yet, youā€™re distraught we lost to a 6-6 team last week, and are CONVINCED beating A&M is a great win when they were 5-7. You changed your narrative when you realized how silly it was

No, you literally said beating a 6-6 team is a meh win. Yet, youā€™re distraught we lost to a 6-6 team last week, and are CONVINCED beating A&M is a great win when they were 5-7. You changed your narrative when you realized how silly it was
6 wins at Flordia and AM are a down year that gets a coach fired.
6 wins at SCAR gets an extension and a raise.
Would you rather be in a category with SCAR or with UF and AM they are not the same.

The optics are not the same.
TXAM has had several top 5 recruiting classes, and they will be ranked. It's a much bigger win. SCAR is someone TN is supposed to be a win before the season even starts.

Outside of GA the SC game is the worst matchup for us. An accurate Rattler with big receivers exposes our biggest weakness.

I had a hernia last winter and the biggest danger, after surgery, is re-injuring the thing. No lifting for "X" weeks (depends on severity of injury & where it is.

OLs are trying to "lift" 300+ pound guys on every play.

Do yā€™all remember the players in the late 80s and 90s who would have a surgery and then they were playing again 3-4 weeks later? Michael Munoz is the one who I think of. He would have knee surgery and be starting again in less than a month. He had so many knee surgeries at Tennessee that he really didnā€™t do much in the NFL. In his late 30s and 40s , he could barely walk because his knees were already in horrible shape. He was too young for knee replacement surgery at that time.

I am glad that those days are gone at Tennessee. We have a coach who truly cares about the players in their present and future lives. Thatā€™s the kind of Tennessee that I am proud of.

Hernia repairs are fairly simple surgeries, but itā€™s imperative that the tissue is allowed to heal completely. Repairing a torn hernia repair is not a simple process and is worse each time they have to operate again.

Multiple times during the game, they showed Mays on the sideline. He looked miserable. Iā€™m sure thatā€™s because he knew he could help. JMO

Someone posted that they actually repaired 3 hernias. That compounds the recovery process as well. Plus, itā€™s different than a ankle, knee, elbow, shoulder, wrist, etc where thereā€™s a brace that can protect the joint for practice and even games.

When Cedric Tillman had the high ankle sprain last year (tibia-fibula syndesmotic tear), they tried non-surgical treatments first, then ended up with a surgical repair. He attempted to come back too soon (I am sure he was hurting more than he let on). You could tell that he was not ready by his level of play. Now in the NFL, he is looking like his old self.

My bottom line is that thereā€™s no game important enough to sacrifice a playerā€™s future health by rushing them back too early. What it means is that the ā€œnext man upā€ really needs to be ready. You never know when you will need to play. Even the 3rd or 4th player in line.

I have an opinion, maybe farfetched. I think referees hate calling games involving uptempo Offenses because they get run to death, they have to deal with more substitution and alignment issues,etc. I think they prefer teams that huddle or slow things down and they get resentful of the extra effort required.

I get this, but then why didn't they show this type of attitude last season when we were doing the same thing? They give us one year to call our games even and then starting this season, they are deciding to screw us?

I have to admit, there's no one who can actually watch a game and know football rules and not see the blatant screw job they've been doing on us the past two games... You KNOW it's obvious when the announcers are questioning the calls and asking on air why they called it the way they did... The fact that Herby was even forced to start questioning the calls on air is confirmation enough that we were getting screwed... I just genuinely don't get why everyone is trying to push us back down... especially in our own backyard...

Just get their **** together and go play Tennessee football

All these games remaining are winnable
Hell yeah!
But they could drop uk, bama, UGA, usceast, mizzou
Everyone could. GA nearly lost to Mizzou last year. One game at a time.

The present game is biggest game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back