Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most disappointed in Jonas and he’s going to be kicking himself the next 8 months. Hitting 3-4 midrange jumpers would have been everything for us yesterday. He just didn’t have the confidence to make those. Moment was to big for him
May have been overconfidence to be honest. Who knows. His shots were wide open. I don’t know how he missed them.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
The recruiting service carousel is really strange.

Will anyone be shocked if in five years On3 is the new 247, and something else will have risen up to take its place?
With NIL illuminating the high school recruiting landscape and emergence of the transfer portal, you can be sure of it.

Barnes has to recruit scorers and not defenses. Our assistant found a Knecht and it carried Barnes this year. Can’t win it playing defense only. Ready for a change and I don’t care if that upsets anyone. Bring back English.
Slight overreaction after making the elite 8 for second time in program history, imo.

Fair enough.

I've never seen how much DK was offered, but I do hope it opens Barnes eyes.
I concur with the smart spending. Identify who you want and don't get beat. That doesn't mean you have to be top bidder for everyone.
I don’t disagree with either of the points you both have made.

I will say this though: we did not win Knecht because of NIL. He was pretty much a nobody until this recruiting cycle. Listen to any interview there’s ever been about him and NIL isn’t mentioned once. His NIL has been a product of the work he’s done here. We got Knecht because of who Rick Barnes is and the program he has developed. Get coached hard, get coached well, be surrounded by high integrity - high skill - high effort players, be at a university where student athletes are valued as much or more than any university in the country by its fans and everyone associated with the university, and win games - a lot of them.

Either a lot of people in the Lady Vols circle are about to be really pissed or Danny White finally convinced the core of them to let him do this.

I'm just not sure who he could possibly call that's a "big swing" that I think would actually accept. I don't think Dawn Staley would answer.

I'd think either we already have someone in the bag or they're still coaching in the tournament. If it's the latter that narrows it down to NC State and USC basically. If we've already hired someone then the only teams I can think that have Final Four appearances recently are Virginia Tech right? Who am I missing? Jeff Walz at Louisville?

Edit: Vic Shaefer at Texas. He led Mississippi State to multiple NCAA finals.
Any coach not named Geno or Tara that doesn’t take a call from us is a fool. You don’t have to say yes, but you at least take the call, whether it’s to find out what we’re willing to offer or just get a raise where you are.

What’s up with the fake eye lashes while playing ball? Granted, I rarely watch women’s basketball, but is this a new trend?
It’s a Louisiana thing.. when I lived there ALL the ladies had them.. I even did it 😂 ‘the natural look is out, boo’ 😂 when I moved back home, I dumped all that crap (plus it made my actual eyelashes break off) 😂

Last edited:
They all have final 4s. Fairly recently. All have better recruiters at the helm. They’ll be better than us next year if we don’t recruit. We got lucky honestly with Knecht.
Can we just say that all four have different styles and all four put top teams on the court each year? We did go 4-1 against them. I’m sure what we did this year is going to be attractive to both transfers and HS recruits, so long as Rick Barnes intends to keep coaching. It seems he’s hitting his peak ability at the right time with the right program and athletic department. Success attracts. I’m hopeful.

And this amount of success sets the stage for us to truly hire anyone we want once Rick Barnes decides to hang it up. I think he’ll go out on top, on his terms, and the program will be forever grateful to him for it.

Let’s not forget a scandal and cuonzo and Tyndall were where we were before Barnes, and his winning here is pretty much unparalleled by other UT men’s ball coaches, besides maybe pearl. Not sure what the coach did without the ernie and Bernie show back in the day. Before my time.

Reactions: Volunteer821
It’s a Louisiana thing.. when I lived there ALL the ladies had them.. I even did it 😂 ‘the natural look is out, boo😂 when I moved back home, I dumped all that crap (plus it made my actual eyelashes break off) 😂
"Boo." 😂 Residence in the boot checks out. We were at the Roosevelt for wifey's birthday splurge weekend before last. I know you would approve. I remember when that used to be your avi.

Last edited:
The UNLV coach would be a good candidate, very young 34 years old yet very experienced with a great pedigree coming from Stanford. Was an assistant at Belmont as well as Stanford and is 102-22 (82.3%) 4 years at UNLV.
UNLV was 66-58 (53.2%) in the 4 years prior

Reactions: Rishvol and SugarCC
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back