Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not at the top of my list, but a decent gall back. I remember she was pretty upset when Kelly got hired, I wonder how many bridges she burnt.
She picked a very public fight over diversity, calling out UT for not having black head coaches. She blindsided the board, took it to the media and made it personal when she was removed from the UT board after taking the HC job at Duke. Kara was always highly respected and liked at UT, but she lost trust.

Rick Barnes has made this job into a desirable job for Head Coaches.

When he retires AD Danny White will have no problem finding a qualified replacement.

Coaches will be knocking the door down wanting in, couldn't say this 30 years ago.

Also feel the same about Baseball program as well, if Tony left finding a great coach shouldn't be a problem.
Mike Morrell, UNC Asheville
Pat Kelsey, Charleston oooops (at Louisville)

Just a couple young guys from mid-major programs............

Last edited:
Reactions: knoxvol52
She picked a very public fight over diversity, calling out UT for not having black head coaches. She blindsided the board, took it to the media and made it personal when she was removed from the UT board after taking the HC job at Duke. Kara was always highly respected and liked at UT, but she lost trust.
There it is

Basilio on Nico: Insiders indicate he has been ridiculous in Spring practice. It’s going to feel like we have Hendon Hooker back at QB. 👀
I remember the Tony Robinson story…. when he showed up on campus… The other qbs started switching positions and wanting to transfer when they saw Robinson throw a football.

It is a rebuilding year, but I'd trust him to rebuild it than most others. Rebuild next year, try to get a star transfer again the following year. We can be back in contention in 2 or 3 years.
He had a great team a few years ago, lost everybody and slowly rebuilt without going into the abyss and then put another great team out there.

If he ever could get 2-3 great scorers on a team at one time...he will get a F4. His age and want to is probably starting to wear thin though...so who knows?

I wondered earlier if UT would push for a diversity hire for one of its marquee programs.

She sucks and is going to keep getting worse but LV fans would rather lose and keep a former Lady Vol than win games because they are weirdos.
So again - “LV fans would rather lose and keep…” There are many of us who are LV fans and just like football, baseball, MBB, etc we don’t all think alike…so please stop boxing us all in. There is a small, vocal group of LV fans who think she should have been given one more year and that a new hire must be a woman, preferably a woman from the Summitt tree, but they are by far not the majority. I don’t usually go to the LV forum but I decided to last night - I think I got through 5 or 6 pages about Kellie‘s termination and I honestly read very very few posts from posters who were negative. Most were sad for Kellie but recognized a change is needed and are hoping for a strong hire by DW. That one woman posted multiple times that she doesn’t like DW or TV but I just saw that one.

There were actually a few posters who don’t want someone from the Summitt tree because it hurts so much to let them go if they aren’t successful.

Wonder if he was getting sick?
I think he was just exhausted..I really think he completely spent himself against Chreighton...go watch that game again...he was 100% go go go that game until really late in that game...he looked spent then too.

I hoped he had another one in him...but I understand why he did not.

So again - “LV fans would rather lose and keep…” There are many of us who are LV fans and just like football, baseball, MBB, etc we don’t all think alike…so please stop boxing us all in. There is a small, vocal group of LV fans who think that the hire must be a woman, and preferably a woman from the Summitt tree but they are by far not the majority. I don’t usually go to the LV forum but I decided to last night - I think I got through 5 or 6 pages about Kellie‘s termination and I honestly read very very few posts from posters who were negative. Most were sad for Kellie but recognized a change is needed and are hoping for a strong hire by DW. That one woman posted multiple times that she doesn’t like him or TV but I just saw that one.

There were actually a few posters who don’t want someone from the Summitt tree because it hurts so much to let them go if they aren’t successful.
Fair point, nothing is monolithic. I just don't think I've ever seen so many considerations for a coaching hire other than "Just hire the best we can get so we can win". It's definitely odd.

I hope we hire the best coach we can get for all UT programs. Fulmer interviewed all genders and races last go-round. The Harpers were just the choice he made.
I do as well, I just remember when Heupel was hired, they wanted a diversity hire in a top position. I started wondering if they would push for one as the WBB coach.
I agree I just want best coach available

Bless their heart, some folks aren't able or willing to use both finesse & strength to achieve their objectives. They're just going to attempt to blow through anything they feel like is in their path.

I'm not saying she should have compromised her stance. Just that what you laid out shows that how she chose to handle it wouldn't inspire confidence that someone has the ability to win with both strength & finesse and the wisdom to know when to use each.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back