Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
This one had me jazzed.

Transfer receiver Chris Brazzell II had the best catch of the period, twisting his body to snag a dart thrown slightly behind him and completing the reception after his legs clipped the pad-holding manager there to simulate incoming contact. The 6-foot-5, 195-pound newcomer is coming off a good scrimmage performance and will look to build on it this week. Brazzell is almost always a standout in these practice viewings.

I get your overall point, but is this person totally wrong? Football put us on the map, but I remember growing up when the LV were the only team not embarrassing us on a national stage year in and year out. Hell, I remember the push to have Summit coach the men and there were several jokes—or given hindsight being 20/20, maybe they weren’t jokes?—where people would say she should just coach the football team too. All that to say, yes football is our foundation but the LV have played a huge role in the Big Orange brand.
I was not trying to disparage the Lady Vols in any way, but to me more than a few of the hardocre Lady Vols fans only, have no issues with disparaging the other sports at Tennessee, and especially football. No Tennesse football, which makes money whether they win or lose, and there is no Lady Vols or honestly any other sports, except maybe Men's Basketball, and without football it would be greatly damaged as well. I guess it really doesn't matter but that type of sentiment from a particular type of Lady Vols fan, is not very endearing to the rest of us with a somehwhat more overall broad view of Tennessee Athletics, and as I point out I'm biased to foobtall, overall, but not at the dismissal of the other sports, etc.

Any Men's coaches from South Dakota. Asking for a friend.
Eric Glenn a coaching veteran of 30 years was appointed the 11th head men’s basketball coach at South Dakota School of Mines & Technology on October 26, 2018. Glenn has a head coaching record of 48-58 in his four years.
1712085427772.png

1712085458944.png

Basilio going into more detail on Nico: he’s not good, not great, he’s insane. Not sure how to discuss it because he’s afraid it will put too much pressure and expectations on Nico and Heupel. After all he’s still a freshman and hasn’t played much. This guy is better than Hooker but the question is how is the rest of the team? Is it better?

In Jack Burtons opinion the rest of the team is better. We’re probably more athletic at LB and secondary. Basilio said our DL is so good it could field 3 teams.
20240402_152350.gif

I am going to guess since Pat was one of the greatest female coaches in any sport and this is a woman's sport the hire will definitely be a woman?

Reactions: AMBAVol07
I get your overall point, but is this person totally wrong? Football put us on the map, but I remember growing up when the LV were the only team not embarrassing us on a national stage year in and year out. Hell, I remember the push to have Summit coach the men and there were several jokes—or given hindsight being 20/20, maybe they weren’t jokes?—where people would say she should just coach the football team too. All that to say, yes football is our foundation but the LV have played a huge role in the Big Orange brand.
Yes that person is demonstrably wrong. When did you grow up? The 2010's?

I'm 30 and Vol football wasn't embarrassing on a national stage until Dooley and I grew up in Virginia.

I remember showing up to football practice wearing my pawpaw's Vol jersey back in 2006 when I was 12 and no one made fun of me. It was like yeah, Tennessee is legit. I had to deal with VT fans growing up trying to compare themselves to us.

We maybe didn't "dominate" in the 2000's, but we were still 21st in wins that decade. So arguably no worse than a top 21 program in college football. Maybe disappointing following the 90's, but it wasn't embarrassing.

I do remember those comments about Pat coaching the men's team. Even the men's team wasn't that bad, the Buzz Peterson years only lasted for four seasons (two NIT's) which followed four straight tournament years under Jerry Green. Then Bruce came and immediately dominated.

I didn't know Lady Vol fans were so weirdly smug and demeaning to the rest of the Vol sports. It's super weird.

Yep, I also think Barnes can recruit the portal better than HS kids as crazy as that is to say.

But a coach with nearly 5 decades of experience in coaching that's been to so many areas has a lot of relationships and when he can tap into those folks to learn about players in the portal he seems to have an easier time finding 'his guys' than he does with the HS kids.
There's another factor that I think is in play. Barnes is a Christian. I think he really believes his position provides him with the opportunity to build relationships with so many young people and provide influence based on a positive, faith based example. Over so many years he's been exposed to so many people. His impact is inestimable IMO. I liken it to a small pebble dropped into calm water. Ripples go out for as far as one can see. Might be over reaching, but I think Barnes considers this job a part of his life's ministry that we each have as a believer. I'm gonna hate seeing the day he steps down. Not sure he can be replaced.

Nowhere did I deny personal accountability. If you reread my posts, you'll see that I affirmed it.

Here's your problem:

As I've illustrated, it's neither plain, not simple. Since you've resorted to the post above, and that discussion tactic, I'll assume that you realize it and just don't want to take personal accountability for it. Much easier to just misrepresent me with a fallacy.
OC, you'd argue with a knot on a log, wouldn't you?

Reactions: VFLBerg
Yes that person is demonstrably wrong. When did you grow up? The 2010's?

I'm 30 and Vol football wasn't embarrassing on a national stage until Dooley and I grew up in Virginia.

I remember showing up to football practice wearing my pawpaw's Vol jersey back in 2006 when I was 12 and no one made fun of me. It was like yeah, Tennessee is legit. I had to deal with VT fans growing up trying to compare themselves to us.

We maybe didn't "dominate" in the 2000's, but we were still 21st in wins that decade. So arguably no worse than a top 21 program in college football. Maybe disappointing following the 90's, but it wasn't embarrassing.

I do remember those comments about Pat coaching the men's team. Even the men's team wasn't that bad, the Buzz Peterson years only lasted for four seasons (two NIT's) which followed four straight tournament years under Jerry Green. Then Bruce came and immediately dominated.

I didn't know Lady Vol fans were so weirdly smug and demeaning to the rest of the Vol sports. It's super weird.
I went over there and read. There are maybe two or three at the most that are insane.

Anyone own a Cayenne? Recommend?

Assuming you're talking about the Porsche and not the pepper? lol

I had a similar SUV (Infiniti FX35) fun to drive, low to the ground, AWD, and a very quick V6... not a ton of room for anyone other than the driver and front passenger.

I'll just go with the default all the car guys I know that are Porsche fans say... "911 is the only one worth owning"

Becky Hammon is an interesting name for me.... hasn't coached college ball (can she recruit?) has only been a head coach since 2022 for the Las Vegas Aces BUT she won the championship both years.

She knows basketball though and spent almost a decade with the Spurs learning under Pop. I think she could be a great hire, and she probably understands exactly what Lady Vols basketball can be since she played in the 90s when Pat was here. Just wonder if she'd be interested. Knoxville isn't for everyone and Las Vegas to here is a big difference

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back