Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
June 4, 1974
1717525920182.png

Beer for a dime, 25,000 rowdy fans and two teams who had engaged in a bench-clearing brawl less than a week earlier -- what could go rong?

It turns out, pretty much everything. But 10 Cent Beer Night in Cleveland on June 4, 1974, when the Cleveland Indians (now Guardians) hosted the Texas Rangers, was probably doomed from the start. Twelve-ounce cups of beer were sold for just a dime each, well under the normal 65 cents charged then at Cleveland Stadium. There was a limit of six beers per purchase but no limit on number of purchases during the game.

The crowd, as one might expect, grew more impaired and wild during the game. After Cleveland tied the game 5-5 in the ninth, a 19-year-old fan ran onto to confront Texas third baseman Jeff Burroughs. That prompted his teammates to run onto the field, some with bats. Many intoxicated fans followed, some with weapons of their own, including knives, chains and clubs.

Some fans threw lit firecrackers, smoked marijuana, and of course the night wouldn’t be complete without a streaker. Players were forced to protect themselves with bats while attempting to leave the field. Umpire Nestor Chylak declared the game a forfeit in the Rangers’ favor because the mob could not be controlled or removed from the field. Ten Cent Beer Night came five years after an uneventful Nickel Beer Night in Cleveland. To describe June 4, 1974 at Cleveland Stadium as “eventful” would be a massive understatement.

1717525897653.png

Titans aren't adding another WR I don't think. They initially looked at Higgins but I thought they resigned him?

Titans got Tyler Boyd from the Bengals instead.

Tbh the Titans WR room is suddenly pretty deep. Deandre Hopkins, Calvin Ridley, Tyler Boyd, and Treylon Burks. Burks hasn't broken out yet, but there's been a lot of talk this summer about his work and ability. Just needs to stay healthy.
If I were an NFL GM I wouldn’t want 25-30m a year tied up in a WR. Especially not when I have two other well paid WRs. And especially if I had to give up draft capital to get him.

Reactions: ugg and SoilVol

Bold Strategy Cotton Meme GIF - Bold strategy cotton meme - Discover &  Share GIFs

Damn that sucks. He and Leacock…two top 100 guys.

I hope they end up figuring it out. I guess the only way that may happen or they get some type of motivation is if they somehow get thrown out into a game and ball out.

I guess at the same time if I had to choose two positions to lose someone it would be edge and WR since we are loaded
Depth at those positions could explain things. Some guys just go through the motions when they don't think they have a chance to get on the field and then turn it around when the guys ahead of them move on. You'd like to have a roster full of guys that are more motivated than that, but those types are on every team. Hopefully they stick around and take advantage of the opportunities that will be there next season.

Reactions: TrippieRedd
Damn that sucks. He and Leacock…two top 100 guys.

I hope they end up figuring it out. I guess the only way that may happen or they get some type of motivation is if they somehow get thrown out into a game and ball out.

I guess at the same time if I had to choose two positions to lose someone it would be edge and WR since we are loaded
Bradley was really hyped as a future difference maker on the field.

Reactions: volunteerpaul
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back