Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

I can already see how the upcoming movie ends. It’s the players getting on the bus cracking jokes and reminiscing as the screen slowly fades to black.

Then flashes back on because the bus can’t go below 50 miles per hour. Sandra Bullock enters from the porta-john and takes control and away we go on a heart pounding 2.5hr journey.

There's a reason nearly all regulars have stopped coming around. The like system didn't do any favors. You can check the replies to this and find a bunch of "gotcha" replies to get internet points.
There are plenty of regulars still here. Not sure what forum you have been reading. Posters do come and go but for the most part, this core group of posters has sustained this board way the hell longer than any other message board I have ever seen.

Richard G West is the best damn reporter this side of the Mississippi.

(I really wish this was actual, real news)

You his agent? He only claims South Knoxville 😆

Screenshot_20240604_160840.jpg

And yes I wish it was too...but I don't see him leaving regardless of the size of his upcoming raise and with player payments incoming...well, coaches might not keep getting the skyrocketing raises as in the recent past (at least moving forward, maybe not immediately).

Reactions: OrangenSC
June 4, 1974
View attachment 645882

Beer for a dime, 25,000 rowdy fans and two teams who had engaged in a bench-clearing brawl less than a week earlier -- what could go rong?

It turns out, pretty much everything. But 10 Cent Beer Night in Cleveland on June 4, 1974, when the Cleveland Indians (now Guardians) hosted the Texas Rangers, was probably doomed from the start. Twelve-ounce cups of beer were sold for just a dime each, well under the normal 65 cents charged then at Cleveland Stadium. There was a limit of six beers per purchase but no limit on number of purchases during the game.

The crowd, as one might expect, grew more impaired and wild during the game. After Cleveland tied the game 5-5 in the ninth, a 19-year-old fan ran onto to confront Texas third baseman Jeff Burroughs. That prompted his teammates to run onto the field, some with bats. Many intoxicated fans followed, some with weapons of their own, including knives, chains and clubs.

Some fans threw lit firecrackers, smoked marijuana, and of course the night wouldn’t be complete without a streaker. Players were forced to protect themselves with bats while attempting to leave the field. Umpire Nestor Chylak declared the game a forfeit in the Rangers’ favor because the mob could not be controlled or removed from the field. Ten Cent Beer Night came five years after an uneventful Nickel Beer Night in Cleveland. To describe June 4, 1974 at Cleveland Stadium as “eventful” would be a massive understatement.

View attachment 645881
They had nickle beer night in 1969, and it was “uneventful”?

Would be a fun case study to compare those two events.

What was different in Cleveland? Was nickle beer night later in the season? Were unemployment rates different? Any recent departures of big employers in 1974? Higher number of military-age males in area in 1974 with end of war in Vietnam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back