Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would watch a womens bball game before I watched an NBA game. THAT is a horrible
product.
Actually might agree with this haha

.0001% chance I'd watch an NBA game
.0002% chance I'd watch a WNBA game

Those percentages may be a little high, but I don't believe in absolutes.

i think part of it is there's a lot of familiarity for us in the supers....all the SEC teams and KSU...and we beat all those teams.

the only thing i'd caution here is teams like UGA and FL are better than they were when we faced them. KSU too.

that said, there's nobody i think i'm anxious about playing left. but there's definitely teams left than can beat us. UK, while we won that series, it was competitive as all get out. we only saw aTm once and i'd venture to say when we saw them, they weren't exactly in win at all costs mode.....so i think that would be a very competitive series.

the closest thing, imo, we have to that "hot" team is Floriday. they remind me of OM a couple years ago...could argue they shouldn't have even gotten in...and here they are. they've never lacked confidence, just haven't gotten results....and they lost a lot of close games......so that could be interesting.

i think if we're fortunate enough to make a run, it would be difficult to beat us 2/3.....and right now, that's about all i can say.
I 100% believe that if we play our best...nobody in this tournament can beat us playing their best...but Baseball doesn't work that way...everything is an "average" if you know what I mean, so all it takes is for us to be a little less than our best, while the other team is playing at or above their best...and we go home.

That is exactly what happened in 22....and that is all it will take this year. I ALWAYS feel anxious because I understand the very nature of baseball.

In MLB...the best team is not the WS winner, the WS winner is actually very seldom the best team, sometimes far from it...and those postseason series are all best of 5 and best of 7 which should cause the best team to win more often...but it doesn't.

In baseball...literally anything can happen in a short series...especially the way CBB does it.

That 22 team would have had a .650-720 season against the CWS field (just the best) over a 100 games....it was that dominant....just a total beast of a team...and yet we got took out by a solid at best ND squad that played their best for 2 games...while we played less than our best over those 2 measly games.

I will always feel anxious in this tournament until we finally win all the games we have to and lift that trophy.

Actually might agree with this haha

.0001% chance I'd watch an NBA game
.0002% chance I'd watch a WNBA game

Those percentages may be a little high, but I don't believe in absolutes.
If Knecht goes to the grizzlies I’ll be back in the FedEx Forum for the first time since the ZBo era

NBA regular season I agree is garbage. NBA playoffs are 3 times better product than regular season.

The Boston vs Dallas Series for Championship should be great.
I'll admit it. The NBA is my guilty pleasure. I'll even watch the Lakers during the regular season. As for the Celtics, 🤢 . Injuries are making this the best year for them to win it all.

I'll admit it. The NBA is my guilty pleasure. I'll even watch the Lakers during the regular season. As for the Celtics, 🤢 . Injuries are making this the best year for them to win it all.
I watch NBA somewhat through regular season, when playoffs start I'm all in.

Defensive intensity goes up and the guys put 100 percent effort in every game.

I believe regular season is so long they just go through the motions in some games.
This rest management kills me though. I would be pissed if I bought a ticket to watch Kawhi Leonard set on bench for 50 games a year. He is a walking injury report.🧐

Small bases make for large growth numbers. It's more popular in the media than with actual people.
It's because of the media forcing that garbage down everyone's throat for years, that now it is a "thing" thanks to sheep that will go where they are told, if told long and loud enough.

Just more proof of that fact.

If I had a daughter in basketball, I would watch because I love my daughter...but I would never say that it is great basketball.

June 4, 1974
View attachment 645882

Beer for a dime, 25,000 rowdy fans and two teams who had engaged in a bench-clearing brawl less than a week earlier -- what could go rong?

It turns out, pretty much everything. But 10 Cent Beer Night in Cleveland on June 4, 1974, when the Cleveland Indians (now Guardians) hosted the Texas Rangers, was probably doomed from the start. Twelve-ounce cups of beer were sold for just a dime each, well under the normal 65 cents charged then at Cleveland Stadium. There was a limit of six beers per purchase but no limit on number of purchases during the game.

The crowd, as one might expect, grew more impaired and wild during the game. After Cleveland tied the game 5-5 in the ninth, a 19-year-old fan ran onto to confront Texas third baseman Jeff Burroughs. That prompted his teammates to run onto the field, some with bats. Many intoxicated fans followed, some with weapons of their own, including knives, chains and clubs.

Some fans threw lit firecrackers, smoked marijuana, and of course the night wouldn’t be complete without a streaker. Players were forced to protect themselves with bats while attempting to leave the field. Umpire Nestor Chylak declared the game a forfeit in the Rangers’ favor because the mob could not be controlled or removed from the field. Ten Cent Beer Night came five years after an uneventful Nickel Beer Night in Cleveland. To describe June 4, 1974 at Cleveland Stadium as “eventful” would be a massive understatement.

View attachment 645881
I love a good drunken brawl. A couple of more come to mind for me also. Disco Demolition night at Comiskey and Malice in the palace are a couple of my favorites also.

I 100% believe that if we play our best...nobody in this tournament can beat us playing their best...but Baseball doesn't work that way...everything is an "average" if you know what I mean, so all it takes is for us to be a little less than our best, while the other team is playing at or above their best...and we go home.

That is exactly what happened in 22....and that is all it will take this year. I ALWAYS feel anxious because I understand the very nature of baseball.

In MLB...the best team is not the WS winner, the WS winner is actually very seldom the best team, sometimes far from it...and those postseason series are all best of 5 and best of 7 which should cause the best team to win more often...but it doesn't.

In baseball...literally anything can happen in a short series...especially the way CBB does it.

That 22 team would have had a .650-720 season against the CWS field (just the best) over a 100 games....it was that dominant....just a total beast of a team...and yet we got took out by a solid at best ND squad that played their best for 2 games...while we played less than our best over those 2 measly games.

I will always feel anxious in this tournament until we finally win all the games we have to and lift that trophy.
I don’t think Tony handled the roster very well…. He has learned from it and has us much more ready this season.

Reliving the 2023 football season a little bit today. That was a real workman-like group; we blew the Florida game and the second half of Mizzou was a catastrophe, but they fought and clawed to some fun wins and capped it off with a Citrus Bowl shutout. That team had some holes, but finishing 9-4 and ranked in the top 20 and having it be somewhat of a disappointment just speaks to how far Josh Heupel and company have brought this program, and how fast.

Then flashes back on because the bus can’t go below 50 miles per hour. Sandra Bullock enters from the porta-john and takes control and away we go on a heart pounding 2.5hr journey.
She's going to illegally recruit them to Ole Miss? We're talking a "hostess" bus movie this time? Will she have them all declared mentally incompetent?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
I would watch a womens bball game before I watched an NBA game. THAT is a horrible
product.
It's less bad than the most horrible thing that Jack can imagine. 😂

"That's a powerful endorsement! I think we can quote the first sentence, delete the second, and attribute it to Everyman." -- ESPN

Last edited:
A few months back I had to put my 10.5 year old pit rescue, Deebo, down due to hemangiosarcoma. He is the brown pit laying in the yard. My wife and kids have been wanting another dog but I haven’t reached that point yet. A couple weeks ago we had our neighbors over and they noticed his pictures everywhere and asked about him. The wife ended up telling us about her friends mom who has a 12 mo old Great Dane/Pit and he is too much dog for her and her work schedule. Well…..we ended up hosting her and the pup and he fit right in with our family. He favors Deebo in looks (except much bigger) and has the exact same demeanor. I swear it’s like Deebo sent him to us. We have adopted this 90lb maniac and couldn't be happier with him. His name was Baxter and we decided to change his name. I introduce to Volnation, Nico!
My eye’s are leaking on your story. 😥. Good looking pup.

They had nickle beer night in 1969, and it was “uneventful”?

Would be a fun case study to compare those two events.

What was different in Cleveland? Was nickle beer night later in the season? Were unemployment rates different? Any recent departures of big employers in 1974? Higher number of military-age males in area in 1974 with end of war in Vietnam?
Maybe in '69 they were too stunned by the river having just caught fire to do much but swallow 5¢ beer and marvel at life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back