Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have the Braves had sustained long term, high level success in the last 2 decades?
This ranks franchises from 1995 to 2016. Braves top 3. You can assess his point system and this does stop 8 years ago. That points to new parity with newer teams maybe doing better now.

That's good they should sign everyone they desire.
I used to be pissed at those teams that over bid, but now I get more annoyed at teams like Oakland and Cincy who want the TV money without investing any in their teams.
But I think it's asinine to put Atlanta in those categories though. We aren't out signing FA's to massive contracts and just cherry picking who we want. We are just keeping homegrown talent home.
If anything McGill, who started this should be a Braves fan because they're literally doing what he wants done.

At 6.26 pm, June 11th 1955, the world of playboy racers and their exotic cars exploded in a devastating fireball. On the home straight early in the Le Mans 24-Hour race, future British world champion Mike Hawthorn made a rash mistake. Pierre Levegh's Mercedes 300 SLR smashed into the crowd, killing 83 people and injuring 120 more. It remains the worst disaster in motor racing history.

The story was quickly engulfed by conspiracy theory, blame and scandal. Was the mysterious explosion caused by Mercedes gambling all on untried technologies? Did they compound it by using a lethal fuel additive? Have the French authorities been covering up the truth ever since? Or was the winner, the doomed British star Mike Hawthorn, guilty of reckless driving and did his desire to win at all costs start the terrible chain of events?

1718125373350.png

This ranks franchises from 1995 to 2016. Braves top 3. You can assess his point system and this does stop 8 years ago. That points to new parity with newer teams maybe doing better now.

from 06-17 they missed the playoffs 9 out of 12 years.

But, they aren’t a low revenue team. The system in baseball makes it terribly difficult for a low revenue team to keep it together.

I bet Acuna regrets signing that hometown contract and Albies as well.

Acuna on the open market is worth $500million+, Albies could get at least $30 million a year.
His body holds up and he’ll cash in. He has people starving in his home country. Doubt he “regrets” cashing in the wait to free agency one season after his rookie year to the tune of $17 mil per. With an organization that isn’t shy of sitting him down when he’s ailing…and his knee betrays him. MVP or out for the season ying/yang. Albies is even more team friendly but also more a complementary talent than outright star. This organization doesn’t ravage you when you don’t string together All-Star seasons. Ask Michael Harris II if he feels cheated.

from 06-17 they missed the playoffs 9 out of 12 years.

But, they aren’t a low revenue team. The system in baseball makes it terribly difficult for a low revenue team to keep it together.
They generate revenues but they’re a faceless, corporate entity when it comes to SPENDING. AA does a masterful balancing act with that bottom line always looming in the background. Liberty Media is barely better than Time Warner when it comes to investment in winning…and that reflected in the win/loss record pre-AA and Snit.

It’s not true at all though…. When is the last time that a team has bought a championship…. The Dodgers won in 2020 but only had one guy that wasn’t home grown or rebuilt guys that had been cut by other organizations…. That was Mookie Betts and he was acquired via a trade.

The teams that you should be mad at is the poorly run clubs…. It is not that hard to compete/win no matter what market you are in… When the Dodgers were owned by Frank Mccourt…. We were bankrupt and couldn’t afford the parking lot that he financed… Don’t remember anyone crying for us. Go Dodgers…. VilLAins for Life!
lol McCourt actually still owns the parking lot as far as I last heard.

This took me to The Athletic and membership was required…
[an excerpt]

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Tennessee senior pitcher Zander Sechrist had given up six hits and one run, unearned, striking out six and walking none, in six innings Sunday night in the most important situation he had faced in his career.

That made it his finest baseball moment to date. That made it a Tennessee postseason performance to be remembered. That made it impossible for Vols coach Tony Vitello to relieve him after six, even though Sechrist was at 100 pitches — two shy of his career high — and has spent all but the last chapter of his career as a short-stint, medium-leverage, joke-cracking, beloved middle reliever.

No, Sechrist had to come out for the seventh inning of this gem, which delivered a 12-1 win for the Vols over Evansville in the deciding game of the Knoxville Super Regional, avoiding an all-time upset and earning Tennessee its third College World Series appearance in four years. And then Vitello had to go get him after two more pitches and another out and let the Lindsey Nelson Stadium crowd of 6,489 shower him with the praise he deserved. And he did.

“It was unreal,” said Sechrist, who was so poised in this performance, that teammates in the dugout were jokingly asking if he was “too goofy” to understand the stakes at hand.

“He wanted to walk off the field,” Vitello said of Sechrist, who did campaign to return for the seventh. “The guy, this is his home. It’s like that for every kid wherever they’re at, but he did take a long time in recruiting and he chose this to be his home. There’s good times and there’s bad times, but there’s always fun times when Zander is around.”

That was the moment that said the most about this team, this No. 1 overall seed, which flopped with the same number by its name two years ago but handled the pressure this time and continued adding to these Vitello-authored glory days of Tennessee baseball. It said the most because this team does seem to have a special chemistry about it, but also because Sunday was a parade of goodbyes to the home fans. Win or lose, that was assured.

Last edited:
They generate revenues but they’re a faceless, corporate entity when it comes to SPENDING. AA does a masterful balancing act with that bottom line always looming in the background. Liberty Media is barely better than Time Warner when it comes to investment in winning…and that reflected in the win/loss record pre-AA and Snit.
Agreed, I don’t feel bad for the Braves or think the system is unfair to them. I don’t feel “bad” for any of the franchises. Millionaire and billionaire “problems” don’t elicit sympathy from me lol. However I do think their system is silly and puts the small market, low revenue teams at a decided disadvantage.

I’m not a fan of MLB owners, their CBA, or the players union.

They still have one of the most talented teams in the nation. And remember, Deboer just got his team to a national title game. The guy is a good coach.
R.41da275a541437d0277080bb81dcf3d9

This takes me to the ones who are screaming to fire Snit. 🤦

Snit can't be at fault for this season as some are saying, acting like it's his fault Acuna and Strider got injured and that Matt Olson can't hit a lick. Unbelievable how petty fans are.

Including myself, I was throwing Dave Roberts out the door after the 13-12 start.🤪

"Florida will not be at noon. And we don't know the start time for 5 of the biggest games of the year, could be late afternoon or night for Oklahoma, Florida, Alabama, Georgia and Arkansas is a flex. We won't know the start times on the flex games till two weeks prior to kickoff."

From the Oklahoma site:
1718130270494.png

seems like a primetime game @ OU on the horizon

Last edited:
If you seriously want to know I will explain. If not, scroll on by.

He's healthy and has great stuff. Being top gun went to his head at the start of the season IMO. The opponents have the book on him after two seasons of starting. He is the antithesis of Zander - he is doing what Dollander did his last season. Both reverted to thrower versus pitcher. He is not locating pitches well and changing speeds as he once did over the course of a game. He will do it for a couple of innings and revert. The opponents are sitting on his fastball belt high and up in the zone as well as slider when he drops into the middle of the plate. He "misses" the zone wildly more often. There is very little to entice the hitters to swing, they see it is outside the zone quickly. The opponents adjust the second time through the order even when he starts the game well because they know he will not keep the ball down in the zone and locate well as the game goes on.

It's all up to him. Adjust - be a pitcher and not a thrower. His draft stock has dropped some because of it. Once the pros get him I believe they can and will fix it because he is great person and talent.
This is excellent. Some HS coaches do not realize how important command is and not just throwing hard. Even strikes can be bad when right down the middle. Putting the ball where you want is what’s called knowing how to pitch and not just be a thrower

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back