Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for posting. Saw this as it happened. It was very emotional. I hope Reggie healed a bit from telling his story and glad he shared. I hope more people wake up to the hurt it causes when denigrating anybody regardless of the differences. We are all important to humanity, God made us who we are for good reasons. Let's do better together. Also - Sweet would want it that way. 🙏 for her.
Well said sir!

Yeah...crazy to think 2022 and 2024 are this close talent/production wise.

Here's the fielding numbers of note for both.
Catches: 2409
Errors: 49
Field %: .980
Double Plays: 34

Catches: 2422
Errors: 56
Field %: .977
Double Plays: 41

So really 22 pitching and Seth Stephenson base running is the biggest difference between the two seasons. But if the 2024 wins the Natty then they'll be the greatest team, end of the day when all things are close to equal you look at who won more.
Just win

Yeah...crazy to think 2022 and 2024 are this close talent/production wise.

Here's the fielding numbers of note for both.
Catches: 2409
Errors: 49
Field %: .980
Double Plays: 34

Catches: 2422
Errors: 56
Field %: .977
Double Plays: 41

So really 22 pitching and Seth Stephenson base running is the biggest difference between the two seasons. But if the 2024 wins the Natty then they'll be the greatest team, end of the day when all things are close to equal you look at who won more.
I’m still taking the 22 team in a 3 game series.

Offense 24 > Offense 22
Defense 24 = Defense 22
Pitching 24 < Pitching 22

I think the 22 pitching staff can do just enough to win a series. You saw how they did against Arnold, now imagine Dollander and Burns back to back days with Joyce, Sewell, Kirby, Walsh, etc. in the pen ready

Like I said, this team is playing better when it matters and that’s all that matters.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. Saw this as it happened. It was very emotional. I hope Reggie healed a bit from telling his story and glad he shared. I hope more people wake up to the hurt it causes when denigrating anybody regardless of the differences. We are all important to humanity, God made us who we are for good reasons. Let's do better together. Also - Sweet would want it that way. 🙏 for her.
Well said Brother 👊

Update on @SweetasSoda, was told this morning they’re putting a feeding tube in and a trach. The plan after these procedures is to move her to a nursing home. 🥲 was told she’s in a vegetative state. Prayers for everyone involved 🥲 not the update that I wanted to post this morning, my heart is broken
I've been out of touch a few weeks. I logged in to VN and noticed a few comments related to Soda. I went back through some posts and found this from VOLSONLY. I don't know how it got to this point but I'm absolutely heartbroken.

I've been involved with this forum for 14 years and many of your screen names and personalities are as familiar to me as my own family. Soda is just the sweetest, kindest person.

Devastated.

I’m still taking the 22 team in a 3 game series.

Like I said, this team is playing better when it matters and that’s all that matters

I'm not so sure... hard to forget the 22 team lost at home in a 3 game series to end the season before making the CWS. I actually think this years team is better. Mostly because of who they've played to get where they are. 22 team played 10 ranked teams and went 16-6 against them. 24 team has played 14 ranked teams and went 24-7 against them.

Not drafted in the same year. Try again
Lol you made no mention of “drafted in the same year”

Across the 3 major sports have we had a trio better than this?

Football - Pearce
Basketball - Knecht
Baseball - Moore

Heath Shuler
Allan Houston
Todd Helton

Were all in Knoxville at the same time.

I had a close friend that was probably there. He played for Furman and he was class of 94 high school. He was an o lineman out of Brentwood Academy.
I guess Furman is still good. Seems like they were pretty good back in the 90s. Everyone wanted to go to their football camp back then.

It was pretty cool. Stayed in a dorm, had all meals. It was a tough camp though. Incredibly hot. Started at 5.30am and ended around 7.30pm. I think it was a 4-5 day camp. Crazy it was only like $3-400.

Reactions: KB5252
No doubt he faced racism early in his career but he tends to embellish as he wasn’t the only black player on the A’s in the late 60’s. Always been a bit of a lightning rod imo.
cool.

I think being called the most disparaging word in English language is a bit more than just him being a spark plug.

While I dont think we need to make it bigger than it is. I sure as **** dont think we devalue someone's trauma by saying 'oh ya know what, he's just a lightning rod.' Because not too far behind that is 'well, he probably had it coming.'

Say what you want too about racism in today's lens. But in 60's-70's, it was intentional, it was angry, and was systemic. No one can take that away from him.

Last edited:
22 team had .308 average, 2283 at bats, 613 runs, 704 hits, 156 doubles, 23 triples, 158 HRs, 574 RBIs, 388 walks
24 team has .311 average, 2357 at bats, 642 runs, 732 hits, 155 doubles, 9 triples, 178 HRs, 594 RBIs, 371 walks

22 team was at 9.3 RPG, 24 team is at 9.2 RPG with at least 2 games left to play. Biggest difference to me between 22 and 24 and part of the per game runs being higher is walks and steals, 22 was better at getting runners into scoring positions.

22 team stole 84 bases on 108 attempts while the 24 team has 49 on 66 attempts.

Another big difference and I think no one can argue, that 22 pitching staff was just ridiculous.

22 pitching gave up 2.51 ERA with 428 hits 192 runs and 695 strike outs
24 pitching gives up 3.87 ERA with 535 hits 286 runs and 663 strike outs
The pitching talent in 22, as a whole, was near once-in-a-lifetime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back