Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember many of us might go to multiple college games and one or none pro games. It is a college site. Combine those factors and rhe perspectives will be poor for strong healthy pro sports debate.

I still say Edey and Levis were tone deaf picks that miss the forest for the trees. A lot of these pro picks are a roll of the dice regardless. Why also bait your fans? Lastly why also let your pick then triple down by baiting your fans.
I’m not a Grizzlies fan so the pick doesn’t affect me at all, but they have needed a big man for 2 years and addressed that need. Whether it works out or not is another thing, but it’s the organizations responsibility to address their needs of the roster

Levis was not tone deaf as he has solid potential. Will it work out? Idk but they picked him in the second round when he was projected top 15, so it was a calculated risk for them to take since Tannehill would be gone the following year and the previous GM picked Willis who is awful

Reactions: LaagerVol and DD4ME
Odds on Edey making a tone deaf ass comment the first night he plays well in TN.....

That insecure dude will be full of em if he plays poorly and fans get on the franchise for the pick.
I can respect good players even if they play for hated opponents. I watched Will Levis play in college. My dislike for the pick stems from what I saw. Could he play better as a pro and prove me wrong? Sure. But anyone who legitimately watched him play college ball should have reservations. Has nothing to do with him playing at UK.

Same logic applies to Edey. Watch his tape. Yes, he was a stat machine, but he accrued those stats on an unfair playing field. Constantly throwing elbows that weren't called, pushing off with no calls, clogging the lane for as long as he wanted. It was like rules did not apply. I have a hard time believing he'll get the same treatment as a pro.

Trading AJ to the Eagles instead of resigning him, then drafting a WR with asthma to replace him. Still don't like the Levis pick, not because he went to UK, but because I've seen him play. Last year's OL was a mess. Not sold on Ridley. He should be solid, but his past gambling suspension still gives me pause. I want to believe Callahan can fix the OL woes but have to see it to believe it.
Sorry to intrude on the conversation, but I know that AJ Brown has "knee issues" and the Titan's medical staff were concerned enough to not warrant a long term deal. In hindsight, obviously a huge mistake. He was also a problem in the locker-room. Just saying..............

Levis has the tools to be really good to great. Staff loves him fwiw.

I'll root for the Titans no matter how stupid they are sometimes, just like UT during the "lost years"

The GM that traded AJ and drafted Burks and created the OL mess got fired. Ownership made the appropriate changes, so to me, that means they’re being run correctly top down

As long as Ridley doesn’t do an idiotic gambling thing again, hes a great WR. Levis is wait and see. I’m definitely intrigued to see what magic Callahan can do with the OL. Signing cushenberry (great signing) will help tremendously
Here's where we differ on opinions. I know the GM was replaced, but the new GM hasn't proven himself yet. The new coach hasn't proven himself yet. There are lots of unknowns. Before I believe things have changed, I'll need to see it. How many times did we, as Vol fans, think things had changed, only to find out they really hadn't?

Reactions: Tennessee Cowboy
Here's where we differ on opinions. I know the GM was replaced, but the new GM hasn't proven himself yet. The new coach hasn't proven himself yet. There are lots of unknowns. Before I believe things have changed, I'll need to see it. How many times did we, as Vol fans, think things had changed, only to find out they really hadn't?
Hoping the new staff are turning the Titans around like the Vols are............

You said they haven’t been ran well. I made my point saying this is why I think they’ve been ran well based on ownership making the necessary changes.

Now we will see if the new changes work out. I hope they do, and the moves they’ve made up to this point show they’re moving in right direction. We will see

To your last question, the irony in that is you never quit supporting the Vols no matter how many stupid decisions have been made in the last 20 years

Reactions: LaagerVol
Hoping the new staff are turning the Titans around like the Vols are............
Yes, things are turning around now. But we thought the same with Kiffin, then Dooley, then Butch, then Pruitt. And we thought the same every time we switched ADs. I actually do hope the Titans find their way, but I view pro sports a lot differently than I do my Tennessee fandom. Hell, I grew up a Dallas Cowboys fan but swore them off because of the idiot owner.

Yes, things are turning around now. But we thought the same with Kiffin, then Dooley, then Butch, then Pruitt. And we thought the same every time we switched ADs. I actually do hope the Titans find their way, but I view pro sports a lot differently than I do my Tennessee fandom. Hell, I grew up a Dallas Cowboys fan but swore them off because of the idiot owner.
He, Jerry, would effect my fandom as well...............I get that.

You said they haven’t been ran well. I made my point saying this is why I think they’ve been ran well based on ownership making the necessary changes.

Now we will see if the new changes work out. I hope they do, and the moves they’ve made up to this point show they’re moving in right direction. We will see

To your last question, the irony in that is you never quit supporting the Vols no matter how many stupid decisions have been made in the last 20 years
I see college and pros very differently. I went to UT.

None of this will be surprising, but it’s been frantic at the AD since we won. We had a targeted list of portal players, but have since heard from A&M and Tejas players, in addition to players who are reaching out on the side prior to entry. We’ve made an entirely new board in the last two days based on the insane interest level.

I just think Memphis made a bad pick. If they wanted a center why not take Kel'el Ware? Younger, more athletic and far more upside than Edey.

And honestly if it wasn't a lottery pick used I'd probably be less critical of it. We get told that teams "stayed away" from DK because of his age and then Edey at 22 is snagged 9th after getting nearly zero buzz at being in the lottery picks at all.

The Kings taking Devin Carter was also a weird one...another 22 year old that left the SEC because he couldn't compete. But I chalked that up more because he had a really strong combine and who his dad is (former assistant for the Kings too).

The age stuff is always weird to me, so selective when it's used and when it's ignored. Every year the NBA draft just continues to remind me that of all the professional sports leagues they care the least about the college game and what you did/do while there.

I think Terrence Shannon Jr to the T-Wolves is also a steal of a pick, another "too old" narrative to go earlier I guess.

Reactions: Jimmy Football
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back