Recruiting Football Talk VII

The reliable and less talented player is certainly the Willie Martinez special. Unfortunately it usually leads to not very good players getting consistently cooked for entire seasons.

See: Jalen McCullough and Trevon Flowers
Ready for some positive difference makers on the backend. It’s been since Berry in my opinion since we had a top notch player in our secondary.

I hate asking but if anyone has a prayer to spare please, I need it more now for me and the OH than ever. I would crawl through broken glass to make it right (and I do mean that literally) but I don't know that I can. He lost hospice service and he's been through every hospice so no one wants to help. The hospital person had the nerve to push me to put him a nursing home and was no help. I'm at the end of my rope. I literally need a miracle. I can't live without him and he needs care (a nursing home would be the death of him). I'm no saint and have never claimed to be but I need a miracle.
You certainly have my prayers. I would reach out to social services in your area. They see this and know the resources in your area better than anyone. The senior center in your area may know people who can offer guidance also.

You could take AP's answer as "Will Brooks is the best we have and coaches suck at developing talent". Or, it could also mean that Brooks came in, worked his butt off, and is really progressing. I have no doubt that we have more physically gifted and naturally talented safeties on the roster but maybe Brooks is simply making better reads and doing fundamentals better right now.
I think the coaches got spoiled by McCollough never having enough speed to overrun a play.

I hate asking but if anyone has a prayer to spare please, I need it more now for me and the OH than ever. I would crawl through broken glass to make it right (and I do mean that literally) but I don't know that I can. He lost hospice service and he's been through every hospice so no one wants to help. The hospital person had the nerve to push me to put him a nursing home and was no help. I'm at the end of my rope. I literally need a miracle. I can't live without him and he needs care (a nursing home would be the death of him). I'm no saint and have never claimed to be but I need a miracle.
Sorry to hear. Our healthcare system in general needs so many reforms including showing more dignity towards those as they approach the end of life. And, completely understand avoiding nursing homes. I presume this is way beyond 'at home' nursing care. I do wish you the best.

I remember when I went from only checking baseVol scores to watching every game. It was a pretty organic move for a football fan, if you think about it. Before the SEC opener in 22 someone here posted that Ole Piss was going to have Kiffin throw out the first pitch in our series. I said, F Kiffin! So I gave them a WGWTFA and turned it on and witnessed his golf ball bs. And then we just absolutely beat the pulp out of them. Watched every pitch in the series. Extremely satisfied. Could have ended there and been fun.

But then a few days later someone here started posting some of Corbin's 🐂💩 and the arrogant Commode-Door fan banter. I couldn't wait for first pitch. And we totally abused them beneath their stupid little "our state" signs. And Corbin was what I soon came to learn was his typical a-hole self. With his bat stickers and smirks. And taking his force-fed beat down like a Vandy boi should. And then, on top of that, Luc homered and when he got to home plate he checked his own bat sticker in an exaggerated pantomime! 😂😂😂

I saw every SEC series and post season game with some midweeks sprinkled in, after that. And in '23 I was there for opening pitch in those funkily broadcast games from Arizona. Stuck through the longish rough start all the way to Omaha. Actually saw the Super Regional in person. Followed the portal. Basically was all in.

And this year was completely over the top! I've learned a lot, too. The more I know the more I enjoy. It snowballs.

I say this is not bandwagoning. It unfolded naturally from a football grudge. And I had no real idea of what was about to unfold.

not really. this is simple. anyone having anything to do with the state of Texas should just thank anyone from the state of Tenneseee, otherwise, they'd be living in North Mexico.
that's what everyone says along with the fact we were a functioning University years before they were... but it doesn't matter and it will keep going and going and going...

I used to really like the Olympics. I think I'll try to get in to it again. Rooting for the US in things like Track and Field and Gymnastics can be entertaining.
I did too. I ran track in high school and knew who a lot of those guys were. I watched everything when I was young. Dropped the Olympics. Dropped baseball. Eventually dropped basketball and whittled it down to only football, then only college football, then only the Vols or an upcoming Vols opponent. I did and still do watch those multiple times.

Now I find myself adding sports back into the mix. First Vols basketball, then Vols baseball. And watching VFLs turned pro, I'm seeing pro games again. Planning on watching Knecht.

Last edited:
I did too. I ran track in high school and knew who a lot of those guys were. I watched everything when I was young. Dropped the Olympics. Dropped baseball. Eventually dropped basketball and whittled it down to only football, then only college football, then only the Vols or an upcoming Vols opponent. I did and still do watch those multiple times.

Now I find myself adding sports back into the mix. First Vols basketball, the Bols baseball. And watching VFL turned pro, I'm seeing pro games again.
Mostly same. I do still follow the NBA. For college, mostly just the Vols and for them, I watch it all. Though, there was a phase where I was less engaged even with the Vols (damn Mike Hamilton). As a youngster, I also watched Tennis. Some of that is coming back gradually as well. As for the MLB? Still little interest until my Reds actually are good again.

Reactions: Orange.
how is it that basically through 3 different coaching staffs in football, we've never been able to put an elite, reliable secondary on the field consistently? I feel like every other position group we've had a lot of success, but the secondary seems to have just been below average, do just enough, for the past 8-10 seasons? Sheesh.

We are always talking about the secondary... every season...

The reliable and less talented player is certainly the Willie Martinez special. Unfortunately it usually leads to not very good players getting consistently cooked for entire seasons.

See: Jalen McCullough and Trevon Flowers
Except that McCullough was a top 200 4 star. Just slow in college.

WM has developed plenty of guys. Just find the ones that we need.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
He has us at 10-2 which seems reasonable. There are some good teams on our schedule and we don't know how teams like bammer and others will look this year under new coaches. I think we could be anywhere between 9-3 and 11-1. I have a hard time believing we beat ugger on the road with SEC officials no doubt playing the roll of the men's soccer refs. Give me a few hours into fall camp and I will be firmly in the 16-0 camp, but for now my BVS is flaring up a bit.
Your BVS is flaring only a little? Mine's been bad. I have panic attacks at least 3-4 times a day. The absence of sports has left me with nothing else to think about. I might need a padded room.

Reactions: Glitch and VOLSONLY
And I don't really like the Olympics. Looking at a 2-month drought. 😬
Boooooo how do you not like the Olympics?!?! I couldn't care less about a guy dancing around on his hands in gymnastics or some lady jumping off a diving board until there's a competition between USA and anyone else, then NOTHING IS MORE IMPORTANT!

Now I find myself adding sports back into the mix. First Vols basketball, then Vols baseball. And watching VFLs turned pro, I'm seeing pro games again. Planning on watching Knecht.
You at least have to watch the 100M races at the Olympics and the swimming relays. Those are incredibly intense, high octane events that literally any sports fan can enjoy.

Reactions: LoudOrange
Bammer is recruiting just as great as they did under Saban. If Deboer can keep up the top 5 classes I don’t see much slippage unfortunately.
Many coaches get the new coach recruiting bump (Butch, Napier). They're able to sell their new exciting vision without any poor results on the field to disprove their recruiting pitch. Gotta give him a couple years without a title to start feeling that pressure from the gump fans.

VN Store

Back