Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look, Lakers can do whatever they want, I'm just saying that you, as a fan, should be disappointed in some of their decisions. I don't hate the Lakers. I followed them in the '80's. But I'm not the fan you seem to be. If the goal is to win another championship, which it should be, then they are making piss poor decisions. And all to appease James, an aging superstar on the backend of his career. This isn't even about my dislike for the guy, which I freely admit, I'm not a fan. But to end up with Reddick as the new coach, his podcast partner with no coaching experience? To draft his son, who they could have just as easily signed as an UDFA? Lakers have botched this offseason, IMO, with the only thing working in their favor being Knecht somehow falling into their lap because other teams being stupid about his age.

JMO, but I think the Lakers are failing their fans. You guys deserve better.
Yes, they have been failing us fans since towards the end of Kobe's career. Lots of great players were moved on over that time. Though, the Lakers did win a championship in that weird COVID season. I'm still good running it back with Lebron and AD. But apparently, no other strong player wants to join the team. This season will be telling and maybe Lebron's last.

Long story short, I don't have a lot of faith in Jeannie Buss or Rob Pelinka.

Reactions: crazyguy
Josh Pate has Tennessee as the 12th best program over the next 3 seasons… 7th in the SEC behind Georgia, Bama, Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M and LSU

Yes, they have been failing us fans since towards the end of Kobe's career. Lots of great players were moved on over that time. Though, the Lakers did win a championship in that weird COVID season. I'm still good running it back with Lebron and AD. But apparently, no other strong player wants to join the team. This season will be telling and maybe Lebron's last.

Long story short, I don't have a lot of faith in Jeannie Buss or Rob Pelinka.
I think failing to sign Klay was a big deal. Even his dad wanted him to be a Laker. I know it's said Dallas could offer more money, but it seems like a certain player who's made a lot of money playing this game could have restructured his contract some to help with that, especially given the solid the team did for him by taking his son.

Josh Pate has Tennessee as the 12th best program over the next 3 seasons… 7th in the SEC behind Georgia, Bama, Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M and LSU
I think he's wrong. I'd put us ahead of OU, LSU, and A&M. I think Bama is still a toss-up because we have no idea how DeBoer will do there.

I think failing to sign Klay was a big deal. Even his dad wanted him to be a Laker. I know it's said Dallas could offer more money, but it seems like a certain player who's made a lot of money playing this game could have restructured his contract some to help with that, especially given the solid the team did for him by taking his son.
The Lakers didn't have the money to sign Klay without trading a player away to do so anyway. The likely player would have been DLo but he had no trade market. Rob Pelinka has been trash as the GM (and Magic was just as bad before him). They have traded/let walk plenty of talented players they could have used over the years.

As an attorneys son, who grew up on the Lake all those reasons are true and valid.

But a grown ass man should never aggressively rear his hand back to a young child. That is ridiculous.

Call the Cops, let them handle it.

When a 15 yo is the adult in the room, houston we got problems.
2 things....

1. Is that not what I said?

"The man was a total jerk though. If they weren't allowed to be there then ask them to leave, nicely. If they refuse, call the cops and have them formally trespassed."

2. You have to take these videos for what they're worth. You're only seeing one side. What happened prior to where the video began? That doesn't excuse his behavior but I'm not 100% sure we know the whole story.

As the son of an attorney, you should know that the prosecution isn't the only one that argues a case. In this country, the defense gets to present his case also.

The Lakers didn't have the money to sign Klay without trading a player away to do so anyway. The likely player would have been DLo but he had no trade market. Rob Pelinka has been trash as the GM (and Magic was just as bad before him). They have traded/let walk plenty of talented players they could have used over the years.
It’s very hard to manage the NBA cap….. I don’t think I will ever understand it.

Reactions: knoxvol52
Recruiting rankings are extraordinarily arbitrary. That is not to say that they are pointless, because it has been shown that teams with highly rated kids tend to perform better. Not always the case, but it is at least partial correlation. However, just because a kid is injured, doesn't participate in an overly glorified QB practice, and the recruiting rankings drop him does not mean 1 thing about how the kid will perform once he gets to campus.

I agree

I’ve thought they matter in the aggregate, but much less so on an individual basis

Meaning, the overall annual class rating is meaningful, especially over time has highly rated classes are stacked on top of eachother

But the rating of an individual player can be very arbitrary - I’ve concluded if they are a three star or better with lots of offers and a unique physical trait (e.g., size, speed), they have a chance to be a key contributor

As far as rankings changes, I think it extremely likely that the contact people at GA and AL manipulate the ratings people, feeding them off the record fault-finding about why our team's recruits should drop. And reasons on the record that theirs should rise.

We are moving in the right direction and just need to keep doing what we're doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back