Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t know if he would though. A lot of issues with our OL is the fact that teams aren’t afraid of Joe. They are just sending their guys, forcing Joe to throw under pressure which he can’t do.

With Nico (who can throw on the run, etc.) he would be more of a passing threat. (If he makes the right reads) you wouldn’t be able to just send everyone. Nico would hit the open guy.

Joe literally stands flat footed in the pocket and stares at his receivers.
Here's my thing on that. If our Heistman winning QB Head Coach doesnt think the guy behind #1, is better? Then, Ill roll with that. Further, we have had good speed at WR position last few years. I think we dont as of now.

I think Ramel has good speed, but cant catch a cold. Squirrel cant be the entire offense. Wait! Hold on, I think they're throwing another screen. Nope! Just a commercial...

The only thing that I think really bolsters your point is how slow Joe is taking the offense. Every play its 'check with me.' And that isnt working. This bumper ball, type screen game is a **** show.

Man, Nico will get destroyed. Its frustrating as hell that we've painted ourselves into a corner talent wise. Hopefully the staff can actually find some guys this cycle that can help.
Gasten Moore will play before Nico ....Pat MaHomes sat behind Alex Smith for what 1 or 2 seasons...how did MaHomes turn out...no need to rush things if a season is sacrificed to keep Nico from getting killed oh well...

Here's my thing on that. If our Heistman winning QB Head Coach doesnt think the guy behind #1, is better? Then, Ill roll with that. Further, we have had good speed at WR position last few years. I think we dont as of now.

I think Ramel has good speed, but cant catch a cold. Squirrel cant be the entire offense. Wait! Hold on, I think they're throwing another screen. Nope! Just a commercial...
The issue is I think he believes Nico is a better QB, I think he just wants to give him an extra year. No coach wants to start a True Freshman, but sometimes…. You just have to.

Not everything was on Milton yesterday, however, the things that were on Milton are things you expect from a True Freshman.

Birmingham wants money and to control narratives. It has been that way for decades. Time to disrupt that. If they want to act like we are the black hats - be the black hats. Hand the evidence to social media inlfuencers and sports commentators. The video is in the public realm. Have some "talks" with the ACC. There are a number of ways to give Birmingham some indigestion.
UT could choose to speak out on the officiating, especially when it's blatant and affects the outcome of important games. Sending a compilation report to the conference does absolutely nothing-- never has. Calling Sankey does even less. UT does not have strong media support, not even locally.

UT traditionally has been a "go along to get along" school. But now that the investigation is closed, UT is in a better position to speak out, should the admin choose to do so. Many programs are disgusted with the officiating. The conferences only have the power the member schools give them. Being passive doesn't bring change... but it does bring in revenue to bankroll the ever-escalating salaries and facilities renovations.

There's no point in turning on CJH. None whatsoever. This team has limitations. Some of the older players have ceilings, and they've hit them. We're serviceable at best at certain positions. When workarounds aren't working, things break down. I wouldn't pin hope on one player
being the fix. They have to work together and hold it together when things aren't going their way. What happened last night will happen again. UT is a team SEC teams want to beat. We'll get every SEC team's best effort. We have tough road games ahead, and SEC home games won't be a cakewalk, either.

I realize LA knows what he’s talking about and always speaks straight forward but I seldom feel better after he speaks!

Maybe I should downgrade to 6 and 6!

Gasten Moore will play before Nico ....Pat MaHomes sat behind Alex Smith for what 1 or 2 seasons...how did MaHomes turn out...no need to rush things if a season is sacrificed to keep Nico from getting killed oh well...
100%

A tale ... as time. Erik Ainge got murderalized. JG was a headcase after his first season.

No thanks.

Yea, Ive not been impressed starting with that miss.

I give what I can, and hope others do. But, to win we need to up the ante.
I'm a monthly subscriber to the Volunteer Club, but will not claim that I'm an NIL expert. For those that are, how much of the revenue in the collective is devoted to 1) incoming HS kids vs 2) portal kids vs 3) roster retention? Not that I would question our strategy previously (got Tilllman, Hooker and Big O to come back) but seems like the "GM" might change the distribution formula this year favoring portal.
We were the groundbreaking NIL masters with Spyre a year or two ago. I have to think some of the bigger programs have caught up. Do we have an idea of where we stand in that sense? I don't think a CU situation is a sustainable strategy, but agree with most posters that we will have to up our portal game this offseason, particularly on O-line. If we aren't elite in NIL funds, I don't expect an elite portal inlfux.

Reactions: VolNash17
So we had blank players out

Mays*
Slaughter*
Mincey*
Sampson*
Pili*
Simmons*
Charles*
Brooks

It’s always next man up but I highly doubt we see the same outcome if we had half of these guys back.

Reactions: OrangenSC and ugg
UT could choose to speak out on the officiating, especially when it's blatant and affects the outcome of important games. Sending a compilation report to the conference does absolutely nothing-- never has. Calling Sankey does even less. UT does not have strong media support, not even locally.

UT traditionally has been a "go along to get along" school. But now that the investigation is closed, UT is in a better position to speak out, should the admin choose to do so. Many programs are disgusted with the officiating. The conferences only have the power the member schools give them. Being passive doesn't bring change... but it does bring in revenue to bankroll the ever-escalating salaries and facilities renovations.
If he wants Neyland to stay full then White better speak up. As you can see after this Florida loss, fans get salty fast. He would win a lot of brownie points if he spoke up about the last 2 weeks and how bias the conference refs have been against a team in their conference

That's their philosophy-- play veterans and develop younger guys, bringing them along at their own pace. The workarounds, such as they are, are basically trying to find ways to compensate for limitations at certain positions. We have the players we have, and they play the players they think have earned it. And they don't play guys they don't think are ready to go, for whatever reason. They're going to have to make some changes, though. It will be interesting to see.

No offense, but this is dumb on the coaches part. How the hell are you going to know if the player sitting the bench is better or worse if you don’t at least try them?

The issue is I think he believes Nico is a better QB, I think he just wants to give him an extra year. No coach wants to start a True Freshman, but sometimes…. You just have to.

Not everything was on Milton yesterday, however, the things that were on Milton are things you expect from a True Freshman.
I think we need to get back to ground and pound. The long pssing game will benefit if we can do that.

Get us past Georgia, and Bama. Then start Nico. I mean, Im thinkin' we may 6-6 at years end, at best.

Reactions: knoxvol52
I think we need to get back to ground and pound. The long pssing game will benefit if we can do that.

Get us past Georgia, and Bama. Then start Nico. I mean, Im thinkin' we may 6-6 at years end, at best.
We couldn’t run with Ollie at Center. We didn’t start gaining ground until they put Davis in. Then they took Davis out and we couldn’t run it again.

Campbell just got another year. I wouldn't think we'd go for that if he's gonna leave anyways.

Hopefully losing Crawford too…went back and looked at our OL roster and it’s a bunch of fallback guys during our recruiting. OL is a developmental position so I don’t see any quick fixes.

So we had blank players out

Mays*
Slaughter*
Mincey*
Sampson*
Pili*
Simmons*
Charles*
Brooks

It’s always next man up but I highly doubt we see the same outcome if we had half of these guys back.

Perhaps not the same outcome but those guys being able to play doesn’t fix Joe having a lack of awareness or the piss poor tackling by our defense.

Reactions: Fun coupon VOL

Conference still holds a grudge against Vols for getting bama on probation (Albert Means deal) that CPF orchestrated. Bama/Birmingham has never forgotten.

It's gotten to the point where speaking publicly is the only option now. Go scorched earth. Provide numbers and receipts. Expose the conference office for being inept. Name baseball and basketball situations too. Not just football

Advantages for playing Nico:

Higher ceiling than Joe
Getting a head start on next year

Negatives

Lower floor, maybe worse record
Possible injury
Team chemistry issues

What am I missing?

Good points! I dont know what the right decision is. Why I'm typing on my phone and not sitting in my million dollar mansion.

I don't think throwing him to the wolves last night would have been the best decision, even though that's what I was screaming at halftime last night.

If CJH has any intention of making that move we will find out this coming weekend. Sets up perfect for that scenario if he feels inclined.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back