Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, but they were all crappy punts so stat is misleading
I know this is blue font but I've seen this thrown around lately.

Why are people hating on his punts? Just because it's rugby style? He's actually a darn good punter and he dropped multiple punts inside the 5 this season, and it helped us win games: Texas A&M -> turned into a PR TD for Dee Williams 4 plays later, Iowa -> Strip sack for Pearce. Nico TD 2 plays later.

I read Levi’s’ entire interview. What he said about UT fans wasn’t bad at all.
The team press pool baited him. I could tell that immediately from the clickbait-iest edit, with no other information yet available. I'm guessing the reporters made more than one attempt until they got the clip they wanted. If what you read included the questions, I would like to read it.

He shouldn't fall for it. It seems to say much more about the Titans press pool. How can the people covering the Titans locally incite antagonism of Vols fans and think it is clever? Dumb af.

And look how the dumbass KY KSR is egging this on. What dumbasses they are. Will Levis tells Vol fans to "stay on that hill" if they don't like that he's a Wildcat. They pick out the inflammatory out-of-context bit and add "Go Levis for saying it, and Go Cats." Stupid af.

Last edited:
The team press pool baited him. I could tell that right away from the clickbait-iest edit. I'm guessing the reporters took more than one attempt before they got the clip they wanted. He shouldn't fall for it. If what you read included the questions, I would like to read it.
When Levis was asked about the college fanbase that was the harshest, he danced around the answer.

"SEC especially, everyone is very very deep-rooted in their team," he said. "So if you're not with them you're against them. But there's definitely some teams that had, let's say stronger words or stronger opinions. I know you guys are wanting me to say one. I can't really say anything about that because [Tennessee] got the best of me my two years there."

Tennessee defeated Kentucky 45-42 in 2021 and 44-6 in 2022, the two games Levis started against the Vols. Levis did, however, eventually directly acknowledge the Rocky Top fanbase.

"Even people that still don't like me," Levis said to reporters. "But yeah. You gotta respect it. If you're a Vol fan and you don't like me simply because you're a Vol fan? You'd better stay on that hill. You know? Don't switch up now. But no, I'm open to all fans of the Titans with open arms."

Clearly, Levis is taking the criticism in stride. He's only a rookie, after all. For Tennessee, certain colors fade slow. Blue is one of them, and that isn't lost on the quarterback.

Great is winning the SEC. Winning the SEC generally leads to a NC in this day and age. You have your opinions. I have mine. Just getting to the cusp of a championship isn't "great" to me. We made fun of Mark Richt for years because he got to the cusp but couldn't take that next step. I've seen what Alabama and Georgia have done, and I think "Why not us?" We're just as capable as they are. There's no reason we shouldn't be able to have our own football dynasty. I've lived through the highs and the lows, just like you. But I want to reach the mountain top, not stop just short.
Yeah, but also look at how long it took Georgia to get to that point. Georgia thought "why not us" for decades. They wandered the desert like we have.

Maybe Heupel is our Mark Richt. But Kirby Smart doesn't have his success without the foundation Mark Richt established (And in today's game, a lot of those Georgia teams would've had second chances in the playoffs). I would take a Mark Richt - esque run for what it means long-term. Just like I'm happy to ride out the rest of Rick Barnes' career

Great is winning the SEC. Winning the SEC generally leads to a NC in this day and age. You have your opinions. I have mine. Just getting to the cusp of a championship isn't "great" to me. We made fun of Mark Richt for years because he got to the cusp but couldn't take that next step. I've seen what Alabama and Georgia have done, and I think "Why not us?" We're just as capable as they are. There's no reason we shouldn't be able to have our own football dynasty. I've lived through the highs and the lows, just like you. But I want to reach the mountain top, not stop just short.
Dynasty? Eh. We lack the in-state talent of (the states of) Texas, Georgia, and Florida, and pretty sure we don't have their money either. The only thing we have is a rabid and dedicated fanbase, but until that manifests as direct monetary investment, I'm not sure it's enough to overcome demographics. You can grow it or you can buy it, and pretty sure those who can do both will consistently dominate the future. One bright note: I think that Bama loses the demographics battle and will fade into obscurity after Saban retires.

But I'd be thrilled to be wrong. I'd love a dynasty as well.

Yeah, but also look at how long it took Georgia to get to that point. Georgia thought "why not us" for decades. They wandered the desert like we have.

Maybe Heupel is our Mark Richt. But Kirby Smart doesn't have his success without the foundation Mark Richt established (And in today's game, a lot of those Georgia teams would've had second chances in the playoffs). I would take a Mark Richt - esque run for what it means long-term. Just like I'm happy to ride out the rest of Rick Barnes' career
I've thought this for years and feel the same about Barnes.

I most certainly did not defend Sunseri...THAT is what truly BAD defense looks like...damn man, you really do hate Banks and it makes zero sense...your zealous hatred blinds you to any thing good he does...are you really that obtuse when it comes to him?
I've not seen him in his three years beat a quality offense. Have we beaten teams with a quality offense? Sure, but we've beaten them despite the defense. I love coach Heupel. Want him to be here a long time. If championships are our standard, then you better hope he replaces them because we will not win a championship having to outscore folks. Sure we'll win our share but we'll never win a championship with Tim Banks as our DC. If you think so, then more power to you. And to set the record straight, I do not have a hatred for Tim Banks. I do however hate his defensive schemes. People will see it eventually.

Reactions: VolNash17
Even if someone makes a sound argument you have made up your mind. That is what I call stout defense. ;)

Some of the common defense sucks rebuttals:
If it was better it was only the D line and Banks gets no credit.
Ratings don't matter only results.
Who have we beat?

Some of my answers.
UF 2022 - 38 to 33
UF 2023 - 16 to 29 ( if UT scores 38 we win)

AL 2022 - 52 to 49
AL 2023 - 20 to 34 (if UT scores 52 we call it a bloodbath)

Mizz 2022 - 66 to 24
Mizz 2023 - 7 to 36 ( this was a much better offense and also 7 points gtho)

UGA 2022 - 13 to 27
UGA 2023 - 10 to 38 ( I will give you this one)

My main point to all of you is you need to assign blame for lack of good wins where it is due: offense. Heupel built this team to be offense 1st then you expect Banks to carry the water for a team scoring 16 points? GTHO with that silliness. Second Heupel built this defense to be predatory that means the DL has to be best. We'd cry if it wasn't. Third criticize the zone coverage all you want there are fair questions there, but remember they can be better and the secondary be average and the offense not win. All things can be true.
I have absolutely made up my mind. I've seen it for three years. You'll see it too, eventually.

Reactions: VolNash17
When Levis was asked about the college fanbase that was the harshest, he danced around the answer.

"SEC especially, everyone is very very deep-rooted in their team," he said. "So if you're not with them you're against them. But there's definitely some teams that had, let's say stronger words or stronger opinions. I know you guys are wanting me to say one. I can't really say anything about that because [Tennessee] got the best of me my two years there."

Tennessee defeated Kentucky 45-42 in 2021 and 44-6 in 2022, the two games Levis started against the Vols. Levis did, however, eventually directly acknowledge the Rocky Top fanbase.

"Even people that still don't like me," Levis said to reporters. "But yeah. You gotta respect it. If you're a Vol fan and you don't like me simply because you're a Vol fan? You'd better stay on that hill. You know? Don't switch up now. But no, I'm open to all fans of the Titans with open arms."

Clearly, Levis is taking the criticism in stride. He's only a rookie, after all. For Tennessee, certain colors fade slow. Blue is one of them, and that isn't lost on the quarterback.
I added 2 paragraphs (above): #82,672.

And, seriously, I guessed pretty exactly what happened (him being baited) and that the context had been suppressed the first second the worst "edit" hit twitter: #81,843. When more came out yesterday afternoon and last night I was shown to be correct.

I want to see the questions the press pool used to bait him and how many attempts it took to get him to say what they wanted him to say.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say everyone. But we don't pursue top tier guys from the portal. That's becoming more and more obvious. Not saying the guys we get won't be good, but we don't seem to be looking for great. I just hope their strategy leads to championships.
I just hope their strategy leads to having consistently good teams every year that can compete with anybody.

The 15 years of hell changed my perspective forever. I don't understand how everyone has forgotten the absolute 💩hole of a program we had before Heupel...I just wanted a consistently good team and it seems everybody else is "championship or bust"

Last edited:
NIL is great. This is what everyone wanted good for the game I was told...
It is.

So long as Saban and Kirby fail in their efforts to "regulate" it, by which they mean "end the leveling effect of the 'wild west' and put it under the thumb of the same crooked supervision that lets them and Michigan and other pets cheat with impunity while busting rivals.

Thats exactly what she wants you to believe 👀
Congrats! I just hit 22 with mine. She does well to keep me in line but I like to challenge authority. I am a Senior NCO after all.
I am a Field Grade Officer... I do whatever the General tells me to do... And by that I mean I task my NCO's. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back