Recruiting Football Talk VIII

When the Titans came to town, all Tennessee football fans embraced them without abandon. We just knew the ownership would do things to link up with the largest fan base in the state: Vol football fans.

Fast forward 25 years.

What Vols have been high draft picks for the titans? Albert “head stomp” Haynesworth is all that comes to mind. Made a feigned play at Peyton. Signed a washed up Pickens. Signed a couple VFL’s as UDFA’s. Had Dobbs for a cup of coffee.

What has the franchise done to partner with the university for basically anything? Nothing jumps to the front of my mind.

In fact, it almost seems like they go out of their way to NOT draft or sign VFL’s. Coulda had Trey or Hendon, and that’s just in the past couple drafts.

So for anyone who bags on Mayo Boy or Titans leadership, this is what we’re enduring. Don’t hate on us for saying “we told you he sucked.” This is about the most DISengaging a pro franchise could be to what potentially could be their most loyal, strongest segment of the fan base.

Screw Titans leadership. I’m out til they show they care.
Name another franchise in the entire country that gives a damn about the state university

Hint: there’s not one

Agreed. I think Dak got too much money for that reason. That OL made him look better than he actually is. Not that he's bad, but not top QB good.
True franchise QBs are going to set the new mark every time their contract comes up. It’s not who’s better…it’s who’s NEXT. Daniel Jones got a relatively low $40 mil and we see what that buys you.

Reactions: knoxvol52
When the Titans came to town, all Tennessee football fans embraced them without abandon. We just knew the ownership would do things to link up with the largest fan base in the state: Vol football fans.

Fast forward 25 years.

What Vols have been high draft picks for the titans? Albert “head stomp” Haynesworth is all that comes to mind. Made a feigned play at Peyton. Signed a washed up Pickens. Signed a couple VFL’s as UDFA’s. Had Dobbs for a cup of coffee.

What has the franchise done to partner with the university for basically anything? Nothing jumps to the front of my mind.

In fact, it almost seems like they go out of their way to NOT draft or sign VFL’s. Coulda had Trey or Hendon, and that’s just in the past couple drafts.

So for anyone who bags on Mayo Boy or Titans leadership, this is what we’re enduring. Don’t hate on us for saying “we told you he sucked.” This is about the most DISengaging a pro franchise could be to what potentially could be their most loyal, strongest segment of the fan base.

Screw Titans leadership. I’m out til they show they care.

I hear UGA fans say similar things about the Falcons.

True franchise QBs are going to set the new mark every time their contract comes up. It’s not who’s better…it’s who’s NEXT. Daniel Jones got a relatively low $40 mil and we see what that buys you.
That's true, though Jones has nothing to do with it. The NYG have a lot of problems.

But paying a qb too much more than he's worth makes you unable to retain the pieces that made him look so good in the first place. Hence Dallas' woes.

Of course you would. My guess is 95 out of 100 fans on this board would do the same if it meant increasing our chances of winning. Now, we don’t like to admit it though. We may have been screwed as part of it but deep down we know we’d steal signs from the Gators or sneak around the Bama sideline to prep for a game against Saban. College football has always been about pushing up to and over that line.
“The cost of doing business”

Reactions: Jack Burton
I find it wild people saying Nico had a mehdiocre game. Not that he's without critique by any means, but C- grades...lol.

Dude threw it only 23 times for 211 yards...9.2 ypa. 8 rushes for 65 yds...8.1 ypc.

Combined 8.9 YPP. HH in 2022 averaged 7.6 YPP vs P5 opponents, as a seasoned vet during the best QB season in Vol history.

And for anyone saying 2 picks, get your head examined. On the pick 6 his arm was hit, it was on a blocker, not him. Even the commentators pointed that one out. 3 TDs and 1 turnover on him, all vs a projected really good defense in his third start ever 😆😅🤣
A lot better than Milton on any given day.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
Green Bay hosts Wisconsin’s band on the regular.
I’m sorry but if the titans hosted the POTS, that does nothing for me

I’m really failing to see your point

Also, Theo Jackson was drafted by the tits less than 2 years ago

That's true, though Jones has nothing to do with it. The NYG have a lot of problems.

But paying a qb too much more than he's worth makes you unable to retain the pieces that made him look so good in the first place. Hence Dallas' woes.
You get a franchise QB, you pay him what it takes to keep him. Take it from a Bears fan. We haven’t had one since Sid Luckman in the 50’s. Their “woes” looked pretty decent today. Browns only fork out $46 mil for Deshaun Watson…how’s their woes?

Reactions: Glitch

I actually agree with him that the Titans should do more to connect with Knoxville and the Vol fanbase (and not necessarily exclusively, either). If the Braves can do it, the Titans could, as well.

I actually agree with him that the Titans should do more to connect with Knoxville and the Vol fanbase (and not necessarily exclusively, either). If the Braves can do it, the Titans could, as well.
What have the Braves done? I genuinely don’t know

I’m just saying they’re failing to engage with the largest fan base in the state. There’s zero effort whatsoever whether it’s player overlap, joint promotional efforts, merchandising, or even community outreach.

Hell, you can buy a Braves hat with a power T on it. Yes, I know they do that with several schools, but that’s the point. There’s nothing upstairs in the Adams family on this effort.

New AP poll got it right with us at #7. Coaches got it wrong. How the hell are Oregon and Penn State still ranked ahead of us? Oregon scraped by an unranked Boise State, and Penn State escaped an upset by Bowling Green. Meanwhile, we pounded a ranked team. The assistants who fill out the ballots for coaches are idiots.
1725845346307.gif

VN Store

Back