Recruiting Football Talk VIII

Of course you would. My guess is 95 out of 100 fans on this board would do the same if it meant increasing our chances of winning. Now, we don’t like to admit it though. We may have been screwed as part of it but deep down we know we’d steal signs from the Gators or sneak around the Bama sideline to prep for a game against Saban. College football has always been about pushing up to and over that line.
Assuming that everyone has the same mindset as you do......

Interesting.

Reactions: Volunteer821
Well, I don’t know that, but I honestly have never heard such a rift exists, so I don’t have any reason to assume there is one.

Regardless, the Adams’ can do as they please. That doesn’t have any bearing on whether or not it would be a good idea.
I haven’t heard it either, but as we all know, Bud Adams was a huge dick (rip) and our previous Vol leadership haven’t been the brightest minds either

That's true, though Jones has nothing to do with it. The NYG have a lot of problems.

But paying a qb too much more than he's worth makes you unable to retain the pieces that made him look so good in the first place. Hence Dallas' woes.
Really had no choice. They aren’t going to get a better one that is experienced, and they can’t reset with a rookie.

Reactions: Volunteer821
Are any of reading the rest of my post? I’m not talking about just draft picks. They’re disengaging to Vols fans in every way.
It was just a bad take. I do agree the Vols have one of the most passionate and accessible fanbases in the country. But the titans trying to appeal to Vol fans is unnecessary, and not going to change anything. They just need to play good football consistently. That’s what drives attendance and revenue.

What NFL teams have cross marketed with the state college? Genuinely curious
Example: the Vikings regularly fund grant programs spearheaded by the University of Minnesota. They also (at least in the 2010s, I can’t verify that they always do it) bring out the Paul Bunyan Axe and some Gopher players when Minnesota beats Wisconsin in that rivalry game.

I’m sure there’s all sorts of examples.

I think the Titans just need to draft better. We'll see if the new GM does better, but the mistakes of the last GM are still in everyone's mind. Trade AJ so they can draft an asthmatic WR that hasn't shown anything? The Georgia OL that was a complete and total headcase, not to mention bust. Will Levis.

I can only think of two Tennessee players I resent them not drafting. Hooker, because I truly think he's better than Levis, and Trey Smith. But I resent a lot of NFL teams for not drafting him. But hell, maybe it was for the best. He does have 2 SB rings now.

I also thought they should have kept Dobbs.

I wouldn’t want to see Titans co branded with Vandy, Memphis, MTSU like Georgia does with multiple schools (as you alluded to).

Idk I just think it’s a reach for expecting a franchise to coddle the state university

As a super fan of both, it’s not something that ever even crosses my mind so maybe that’s why I don’t understand the continual fuss about it
I see at the opposite of coddling. Creating a sense of commonality and camaraderie builds stronger bonds. To me, it’s a lot of hubris to think that they don’t have to engage the community to build their brand. But that’s par for the course with the NFL.

It was just a bad take. I do agree the Vols have one of the most passionate and accessible fanbases in the country. But the titans trying to appeal to Vol fans is unnecessary, and not going to change anything. They just need to play good football consistently. That’s what drives attendance and revenue.
Well, we’re having great difficulty doing this. Broadening and strengthening our fanbase might be a wise maneuver.

How do we know that one of the morons in the previous Vols upper mgmt regimes didn’t cause a rift and put a sour taste in the Adam’s mouth?

Similar to the bad decisions those people made regarding AD hiring and such
IIRC, wasn't the initial choice for the new franchise name gonna be Tennessee Pioneers? And didn't someone nix it as too similar to U. of Tennessee Volunteers?

But I don't remember hearing whether the Pioneers name was nixed from within the organization, or by threat of lawsuit from the university.

I do remember thinking what a unique uni could be designed using brown (for pioneers) & blue (for Memphis & MTSU) with just a little orange for highlights. Could've been an effective approach to earning some loyalties state-wide.

Not sure they need to "sandbag"
QB play will take care of that.

I was 100% wrong on Levis. I really thought he'd be really good.

I'll own it! ,
Why did you believe that?...was the abundant evidence of his suckassity in the SEC not enough to prove to you that taking him was a huge mistake? Why did you think that he could go up a few levels in difficulty and succeed when he had failed to play great in the SEC?

I think you just wanted to believe so badly, that you fooled yourself.

Originally thought OU would be a tough game. No longer believe that. Vols win 34-13.

Young signal caller Jackson Arnold was sacked three times for a second straight week, following Temple's impressive Week 1 performance against OU's front, and struggled mightily as a result by completing just 19 of his 32 pass attempts for 174 yards. Oklahoma averaged a paltry 2.6 yards per carry. This against a Houston defensive front that allowed 195 yards rushing against UNLVa week ago.
Heupel coming home to Norman......

VN Store

Back