Recruiting Football Talk VIII

How far downfield can a lineman be on a pass in college football?

In college football, the NCAA allows ineligible receivers a maximum of 3 yards.

at 7 seconds in the video, one lineman was at the 45 other at the 46, line of scrimmage 43.

Would have given him 270 and 3 tds passing, with 70ish and 1 running....and none of this "mediocre" 🦬💩 would have been said.

Drafting a Quarterback to play in NFL is a crap shoot. Levis is bad right now but I've seen a heck of a lot worse in the past 40+ years.
It's difficult, no doubt. I wish Levis would go away somewhere so we could make fun of him without divided feelings.

And maybe he will develop. Who knows? Not impossible.

How far downfield can a lineman be on a pass in college football?

In college football, the NCAA allows ineligible receivers a maximum of 3 yards.

at 7 seconds in the video, one lineman was at the 45 other at the 46, line of scrimmage 43.

Lol...Bru sent his defender sprawling 5 yards with his block...I loved that

I think it depends on the defense. I think we used lots of 12 personnel that game because they ran a 3-3-5 and bracketed the WR's all game. Took away deep throws. That meant we were going to be attacking underneath in the throw game and rushing the ball a lot. That means having 2 versatile TE's gives us better options. I think if a team lines up with 8 in the box and tries single coverage we will see more 3 and 4 WR sets and sling it around deep. Heupel is so good because he adapts to whatever will work based on how they are defended.
Yes. That is why it's funny when people still call it a gimmick offense. If playing to the weakness of the defense is a gimmick, then sign me up and call what you want.

I know the deep throw to Bru on 3rd and 3 in the first half was frustrating, but that is how they are taught. On the rare occasion, NC State played man on the outside, and the call is to go deep. Bru was open, and Nico just missed him. It's all about the numbers in the box. Then, Heupel goes with two TE's, gashes them in the run game, and lulls them to sleep on play action to the TE's. Our coach is a master on offense.

Last edited:
Oklahoma in Norman is absolutely nothing like NCst in Charlotte.

Come on man..we may well win, but it isn't even close to a sure thing...and it sure as hell ain't going to be easy.
Agree--- we will need to weather the first quarter like we did against ncst, but as long as we do our thing and don't make mistakes, I think we should win this by more than a TD... I looked at their stats vs Houston, in Norman, and it was not impressive... they had to get a late interception before the half and then a safety to ultimately win the game. I wouldn't think Houston is a juggernaut, but more than likely at least a solid team. Looking at the box score, OK had to keep their starters in the entire game, which looks better for us. Either way, they only put up 16 points against Houston. No way they will have a chance if they pull those kind of numbers against us.

Oklahoma in Norman is absolutely nothing like NCst in Charlotte.

Come on man..we may well win, but it isn't even close to a sure thing...and it sure as hell ain't going to be easy.
Nothing is a sure thing in college football. NIU's beat Notre Dame's all the time. I am just saying, OU has not been setting the world on fire against sub-par competition. We have beaten the brakes off of both teams we have played. One was a cupcake and one is at least a P4 OOC opponent. I see a chance to go on the road and make OU wish they had never joined the SEC. I think we have the coaches and the players to do it. I think they will be focused and execute a well thought out game plan. Plus we have one more tune up game before we have to make that trip. OU's offense scored 16 vs the vaunted defense of Houston. I am willing to bet that we have a better defense than Houston. OU has a good D, but supposedly, so did NC State. I am not saying there is no way we lose this game, but I also know that the worry circle was in full effect for NC ST too and we see how that turned out. There are very few games on our schedule that I don't see us at least being competitive in the rest of the year.

Yes. That is why it's funny when people still call it a gimmick offense. If playing to the weakness of the defense is a gimmick, then sign me up and call what you want.

I know the deep throw to Bru on 3rd and 4 in the first half was frustrating, but that is how they are taught. On the rare occasion, NC State played man on the outside, and the call is to go deep. Bru was open, and Nico just missed him. It's all about the numbers in the box. Then, Heupel goes with two TE's, gashes them in the run game, and lulls them to sleep on play action to the TE's. Our coach is a master on offense.
Are you talking about the deep sideline pass that Bru actually caught but was out of bounds?

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
Agree--- we will need to weather the first quarter like we did against ncst, but as long as we do our thing and don't make mistakes, I think we should win this by more than a TD... I looked at their stats vs Houston, in Norman, and it was not impressive... they had to get a late interception before the half and then a safety to ultimately win the game. I wouldn't think Houston is a juggernaut, but more than likely at least a solid team. Looking at the box score, OK had to keep their starters in the entire game, which looks better for us. Either way, they only put up 16 points against Houston. No way they will have a chance if they pull those kind of numbers against us.
Houston hired a good coach, but it was game 2 after they lost to UNLV 27-7. They outgained OU after being held to 247 yards against UNLV.

Nothing is a sure thing in college football. NIU's beat Notre Dame's all the time. I am just saying, OU has not been setting the world on fire against sub-par competition. We have beaten the brakes off of both teams we have played. One was a cupcake and one is at least a P4 OOC opponent. I see a chance to go on the road and make OU wish they had never joined the SEC. I think we have the coaches and the players to do it. I think they will be focused and execute a well thought out game plan. Plus we have one more tune up game before we have to make that trip. OU's offense scored 16 vs the vaunted defense of Houston. I am willing to bet that we have a better defense than Houston. OU has a good D, but supposedly, so did NC State. I am not saying there is no way we lose this game, but I also know that the worry circle was in full effect for NC ST too and we see how that turned out. There are very few games on our schedule that I don't see us at least being competitive in the rest of the year.
I wasn't on the NCST worry circle...I picked us to win by 20.

Look...I hope we blow them back to the Big 8, and we may very well do that, but I just don't think it will be that easy.

I think it's gonna be a tough game....Okie is not the Wolfpack.

I would pick us to win by 7.

Does anyone know of any Titans player ever besides Levis that Vols fans didn't like because he was not VFL? I can't think of even one. The most popular player in recent years was a bammaw. Going all the way back to aOSU's Eddie George. I find no evidence that people dislike Levis -- or any other Titan --because he not a Vol.

As for Levis,we hated that guy for years before he went to the Titans. And, even more to the point it was widely held here that he was massively overrated, a born loser and choke artist, and a narcissistic mayo-lurping jerk. "Real football.":rolleyes: Every year the braggadocio and ever year turnover city.

Just recall the hilarity in this thread on the first night of this year's draft. No one knew or cared where he was going, and everyone was lmfao at bruh. And at Kentucky fans.

I don't think his not being a Vol came into play at all. Until Kentucky twitter went absolutely ballastic when Tennessee picked Levis, screaming repeatedly that "Now Tennessee fans have to root for Levis." They just wouldn't let up, making a connection between Vols fans and mandatory Levis fanship. That understandably provoked a reaction in Vols fans who otherwise wouldn't have engaged imo.

Titans fans should take it out of the Kentucky fanbase. Vols fans had been dogging out Levis for 3 years before the pick. They didn't change.
Here's the logic behind the Levis hate.

You see a mess in the hallway. Your cat barfed up a hairball. You think, "That's gross as hell, but it'll be gone soon."

Dinner time, you see it on a plate and think, "That's gross as hell. Why is it on a plate? It'd taste disgusting."

Someone sets the plate in front of you and says, "It'll taste great!" You think, "I don't see how. It's been gross all along. I mean, it's cat puke!"

Finally, you're forced to taste it. It's gross as hell and you refuse to eat it.

People say, "You just hate it because it's not Chilean Seabass. You're so picky! Just be a good diner, lap it up, and smile!"

No. I'd eat a lot of things, but I knew immediately cat puke would be nasty. Shut up and go away. Stop trying to gaslight me, you gross, antisocial rump-hat.

Eventually, after enough gaslighting, you end up mocking the people that tried to gaslight you into eating cat puke.

Hubbs said in TOS podcast that Kent State might be the worst team he’s seen come in Neyland in his 30 years of covering TN….woof!!
We’d be better of scrimmaging ourselves. I do t know why we schedule such crap teams. This is not going to help us prep for Oklahoma. In fact, it may be counterproductive

Hubbs said in TOS podcast that Kent State might be the worst team he’s seen come in Neyland in his 30 years of covering TN….woof!!
Lololol

All you have to do is see that they got DOMINATED by St Francis (PA) down 20-7 in the second quarter at one point.

St Fran had lost to Dayton 18-10 in week 1.

It's not just an FCS loss, it's losing to a very low level FCS team. Dayton's conference is like FCS G5 and so is St Francis' northeast conference.

Like Chattanooga maybe beats St Francis by 30...this is how wide the gap is. A truly pathetic performance by Kent St.

Score 80!

I was just told Football talk only.
Well in this thread, we can talk about:

UT football
Other UT sports
ANY sports
MJ vs. Lebron
Betting
Your family
Medical issues
Dog farts
Cats
Copperheads
Goats of TV shows and movies
Weather
Recipes and food
Applebees
Waffle House
And much, much more

Just don’t let us know your voting or faith persuasions. Other than that, ole littlevol can pound sand and like it.

VN Store

Back