Recruiting Football Talk VIII

If we were in our traditional schedule we would be getting ready to face Mertz and DJ Lagway and not know who would take the most snaps. Lagway would play like a superstar and beat us. It would be typical UT/UF game. But alas, Texas AM gets it this week and we get more game film. Can’t wait to throttle them October 12th.

Anyone going to Oklahoma for the game? My brother bought himself, his wife, my dad, and me tickets. Fortunately I am a huge fan of airplanes and flying in general.
We have 5 going. Got an AirBnB in Norman months ago - can’t wait. It’ll be a whirlwind trip but fun to watch the Vols win by fiddy.

Last edited:
I agree that Austin saved the WWF. Disagree that he helped kill WCW/NWO...the WWF only played a small role in that. WCW killed itself. Better booking, and a wrestling mind like Vince, and WCW would still be to this day. They had the talent, just not the leadership. Hogan, along with Bischoff, Nash, and others played their part in it's demise.

As far as Flair...him, Savage, HBK, Hitman, Austin, and some others...in-ring, on the mic, promo work, and just a plain worker...Natch was as good as anyone to ever do it. However, as far as drawing power, he never could hold a candle to Hogan and Austin.

Just started getting back into wrestling this past Wrestlemania. Hadn't watched in 20 years. Keeping up with it a bit now. Hard, though, as I long for those yesteryears.
I think huge contracts help kill WCW too, everybody was getting paid and everybody got greedy. Your right though, a McMahon would have never had WCW in that shape,he would have had it thriving. Austin vs McMahon was the best feud of all time, it was new and never been done to that extent before and it worked! Also, WWFs supporting cast was better, why in the world did the NWO have midcard talent?

Couple all that with Austin's drawing power and how solid the roster was in WWF and that was too much for WCW. Goldberg was viewed as an Austin copycat and it wasn't fair to him cause he was really good, even though I didn't like him at all. WWF also had JR and King, they were better than anybody not named Heenan.

Attitude era was pure gold and probably the best time for pro wrestling in my lifetime.

Marine Corps legs are going out from under me...a few other things going on. But all in all, I'm still kicken'.
As long as you’re still kicking. I served with a few Marines, I know how hard they fought (I was in when Desert Shield started and had a Navy Seal as a roommate). So I’ve heard stuff. As long as you’re still kicking, you’re still with us brother.

My top 5 favorite wrestling tag teams

1) The Legion of Doom / Road Warriors
2) The Hart Foundation
3) The Hardy Boys
4) The British Bulldogs
5) Edge and Christian

Honorable mention: The Bushwhackers 🤣
Agree on number 1. Going old school with rest of mine. Yes, grew up watching Mid Atlantic Wrestling

1. Road Warriors (snack on danger, dine on death is greatest line of all time)
2. Ole and Gene Anderson ( Minnesota Wrecking Crew)
3. Ricky Steamboat and Jay Youngblood
4. Paul Jones and Baron Von Raschke
5. Von Erich brothers

Absolutely, midnight express were gold. Rock n roll sucked, they deserved every shot they took from Cornette's loaded tennis racket.........Cornette and Heenan, best managers of all time. I can't choose, so they are tied.
Brain.

Taking NOTHING away from Cornette, though. I mean, the man was so good at being a heel, he literally had to carry a pistol to protect himself, because people hated him so much and wanted to kill him.

Agree on number 1. Going old school with rest of mine. Yes, grew up watching Mid Atlantic Wrestling

5. Von Erich brothers
Can't mention tag teams without adding The Fabulous Freebirds. They had the tough guy Terry Gordy the technical wrestler in Buddy Roberts and the mouth piece Micheal Hayes.

I think huge contracts help kill WCW too, everybody was getting paid and everybody got greedy. Your right though, a McMahon would have never had WCW in that shape,he would have had it thriving. Austin vs McMahon was the best feud of all time, it was new and never been done to that extent before and it worked! Also, WWFs supporting cast was better, why in the world did the NWO have midcard talent?

Couple all that with Austin's drawing power and how solid the roster was in WWF and that was too much for WCW. Goldberg was viewed as an Austin copycat and it wasn't fair to him cause he was really good, even though I didn't like him at all. WWF also had JR and King, they were better than anybody not named Heenan.

Attitude era was pure gold and probably the best time for pro wrestling in my lifetime.
You need to watch "Who Killed WCW" on the Vice Channel. As told by the people that were involved. Crazy stuff.

5. Von Erich brothers
1. Road Warriors of course
2. Midnight Express
3. Ole and Gene
4. Arn and Tully
5. Dudley Boys

I just love the Dudleys I don't why but I do.

VN Store

Back