Recruiting Football Talk VIII

My top 5 Heels:

The Iron Sheik
Jake the Snake Roberts
Terry Funk
Rowdy Roddy Piper
The Mongolian Stomper

(I miss the old wrestlers from the 80s/90s)
Great list. I would throw in a couple of old school guys for consideration. Harley Race and probably the most underated heel of all time, Kevin Sullivan.

Macho Man

Mr. McMahon

Flair

Piper (somebody stabbed him at a show, they hated him so much!!! No Hulkamania without him.)

DiBiase

Pre-Starcade 97 Hollywood Hogan (greatest, most devastating heel turn in the history of the biz...and, a brilliant move.)

Any one of these 6 could be #1.

But, do you put Austin on this list? Rock? Triple H, definitely...one of the greatest heels ever. What about Andre? Hitman was a great heel. Angle. HBK. Mr. Perfect. Rude. Honky Tonk Man. Billy Graham. Larry Zybysko (i wasnt old enough to see it firsthand, but i can only imagine whenever he turned on Bruno...some consider it the greatest heel turn of all time). Funk. Vader. Sgt Slaughter was DESPISED after his turn during the Gulf War (his best work ever). Sheik is definitely up there. Jake, too (Jake deserves more credit as being one of the ABSOLUTE greatest to ever do it. He was the total package...ring work, on the mic, promos, the whole nine).

Corporate Rock...all I should have to say. Played a MASSIVE role in getting Austin even more over.

If we're including managers, Brain and Cornette are DEFINITELY on the list...at the top.

I could talk about this forever...
Zybysko run amuck in the old AWA promotion. Actually that where Shawn Michaels made his name was in the AWA with Marty Jannetty as the Midnight Rockers.

Speaking of great heels, when he plays the role Randy Orton is one of the best I've watched in Wrestling. Another AWA great was Bruiser Brody that guy was nuts, and of course the Legendary Curt Henning cut his teeth in Wrestling in the AWA.

Remember watching his offenses roll us when Hype was at Mizzou and I was so frustrated we weren't doing similar. It's not an old school, long set up PA play, it's just a split second and it's done constantly. Truly never know if we'll pass or run and it holds the defender just long enough.

And NO, statistics have shown that it doesn't matter how often you actually end up running or passing it, it is just as successful. The old notion that you only wanted to use it after a bunch of runs does not prove out on the field.

Just another old wives tale football coaches held onto for decades, like Time of Possession mattering..."damn fools" - CJH 😆😅🤣

Last edited:
If we were in our traditional schedule we would be getting ready to face Mertz and DJ Lagway and not know who would take the most snaps. Lagway would play like a superstar and beat us. It would be typical UT/UF game. But alas, Texas AM gets it this week and we get more game film. Can’t wait to throttle them October 12th.
BVS says Mertz plays this week like total ***...allowing Lagway to start next week and rev up in the coming weeks for us.

But to BVS I DO DECLARE

i-rebuke-it.gifjesus-pray.gifjesus-pray (1).gif

Reactions: OrangenSC
Happy Thursday

September 12, 2024: For those who have been suffering with seemingly no way out, your redemption is near. You will soon be able to break through into new territory that will manifest physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. Stay focused on the truth and promises of My word, says the Lord. Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope

Zybysko run amuck in the old AWA promotion. Actually that where Shawn Michaels made his name was in the AWA with Marty Jannetty as the Midnight Rockers.

Speaking of great heels, when he plays the role Randy Orton is one of the best I've watched in Wrestling. Another AWA great was Bruiser Brody that guy was nuts, and of course the Legendary Curt Henning cut his teeth in Wrestling in the AWA.
All kinds of talent came from the AWA. Flair, Steamboat, Mean Gene, Tito Santana, Adrian Adonis, Ventura...hell, Heenan's feud with Hogan goes all the way back to there.

Gagne's fatal mistake was not putting the belt on Hogan, keeping it on Bockwinkle. Hogan was WWF champ within weeks after leaving AWA. Every Wrestling fan who has ever lived knows what came next.

Gagne's stubbornness, believing a mat wrestler should be champion, but also his greed (he wanted most of Hogan's money, to put the belt on him...Hogan refused, offering him half, and Gagne refused, so Hogan said bye bye)...paved the way for wrestling history.

Happy Thursday

September 12, 2024: For those who have been suffering with seemingly no way out, your redemption is near. You will soon be able to break through into new territory that will manifest physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. Stay focused on the truth and promises of My word, says the Lord. Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope
Very fitting that this is the verse for today and these thoughts hit home very hard. I’ve been struggling with a lot of things in my career. Most of you know that the veterinary profession carries one of the highest suicide rates in the world. That is never an option for me, because my faith in God and his promises are too strong and great to lose them. I have been struggling immensely with a lot of things and, am considering walking away from the Equine profession that I have given over 23 years of my life too. My plan is to convert to small animal medicine. While equine medicine is my passion, I have reached the point that I can’t keep doing it the way that I currently do it, and my boss seems to be unwilling to make any changes for me that I need. I read this verse as I started reading a four page letter to him yesterday morning. Now I see it on here this morning with all the things I feel and struggle with. Thanks for this! I feel like it’s God telling me I’ve got you and I have your plans laid out for you… Just trust in Me, so I will as I always have tried to do. Sorry for getting off topic.

Great list. I would throw in a couple of old school guys for consideration. Harley Race and probably the most underated heel of all time, Kevin Sullivan.
Dont know didnt follow wrasslin' as a kid.

JYD, Jake Snake, Mr Wonderful Paul Orndorf, Jimmy Super Fly Snuka, Million Dollar Man Ted Dibiase, George Animal Steele, Andre the Giant, list goes on and on.

Although I no longer followed Pro Wrestling post WWF Raw, Steve Austin & Goldberg get honorable mention.

Very fitting that this is the verse for today and these thoughts hit home very hard. I’ve been struggling with a lot of things in my career. Most of you know that the veterinary profession carries one of the highest suicide rates in the world. That is never an option for me, because my faith in God and his promises are too strong and great to lose them. I have been struggling immensely with a lot of things and, am considering walking away from the Equine profession that I have given over 23 years of my life too. My plan is to convert to small animal medicine. While equine medicine is my passion, I have reached the point that I can’t keep doing it the way that I currently do it, and my boss seems to be unwilling to make any changes for me that I need. I read this verse as I started reading a four page letter to him yesterday morning. Now I see it on here this morning with all the things I feel and struggle with. Thanks for this! I feel like it’s God telling me I’ve got you and I have your plans laid out for you… Just trust in Me, so I will as I always have tried to do. Sorry for getting off topic.
Though far different careers, after much prayer and discussion with my spouse I made changes to my employment status and chosen career in my 40s that resulted in great benefits to us, our industry and His work. I became thankful for the past good and bad experiences that led me to better days. I pray the same or better for you, bud.

All kinds of talent came from the AWA. Flair, Steamboat, Mean Gene, Tito Santana, Adrian Adonis, Ventura...hell, Heenan's feud with Hogan goes all the way back to there.

Gagne's fatal mistake was not putting the belt on Hogan, keeping it on Bockwinkle. Hogan was WWF champ within weeks after leaving AWA. Every Wrestling fan who has ever lived knows what came next.

Gagne's stubbornness, believing a mat wrestler should be champion, but also his greed (he wanted most of Hogan's money, to put the belt on him...Hogan refused, offering him half, and Gagne refused, so Hogan said bye bye)...paved the way for wrestling history.

Wild how all those small promotions had so much talent.

Mid South produced Randy Savage, Jerry Lawler and Jeff Jarrett amongst others.

World Class Championship Wrestling produced Steve Austin, all the Von Erichs, Booker T. And Stevie Ray. Chris Adams and the late Gino Hernandez who was a great heel in Texas wrestling.

VN Store

Back