Recruiting Football Talk VIII

Was just thinking how torn up many on here were when it was stated that Heupel was gonna build the program the 'right' way with the 'right' kind of recruit. The whining was that we were putting ourselves at a disadvantage by not pursuing the best players, only those that fit the profile. How y'all feeling about that now?

I really don't like to act like McGill on this one but the guy is a quitter. Should've finished season out and moved on in his life if he is that miserable.
I get running out of passion and looking to move on to something else in your life…if that’s what this was…but in no universe is this an acceptable way of doing that. Like you said, finish up or at worst get your family doc to drum up a back issue and sorrowfully retire effective immediately. Happened countless times with players we don’t remember. Now he’ll be known for this.

Was just thinking how torn up many on here were when it was stated that Heupel was gonna build the program the 'right' way with the 'right' kind of recruit. The whining was that we were putting ourselves at a disadvantage by not pursuing the best players, only those that fit the profile. How y'all feeling about that now?
So many VN narratives have fallen recently. A very annoying one was “The only way out of this is to hire a ‘proven name coach!’ Kansas does so with Les Miles and UCLA with Chip Kelly. 🤮 Now you got Kansas winning with Lance Leipold, Bama’s follow-up to God Saban was winning NCs in Division III a decade ago and we’re aware of what’s happening in Knoxville. 😉 Also hiring from within was verboten and two rising stars on the staff are Pope and Abeln. No ONE way to do it right.

Two sided sword for James Pearce with the early great showing by the defense. Impressive wins vs reactionary mock draft slippage. I think when he’s needed for the whole game, his stats will explode.
i think 2 things here...
1. i agree with you, that as his opportunities increase, the more productive he'll be. limited use so far, still impactful, even though not "stat" credit.
2. as the rest of the defense has become something to account for, it will be more of a "pick your poison" for the opponent. do you give JP more attention, freeing up others to eat, or do you go more traditional allowing JP more one on ones to take advantage of. Probably see combinations of both as we go along, but either way, i have a hard time believing NFL draft boards will drop elite edge guys that much. you gonna really let him get out of the 1st round? prolly not.

i think 2 things here...
1. i agree with you, that as his opportunities increase, the more productive he'll be. limited use so far, still impactful, even though not "stat" credit.
2. as the rest of the defense has become something to account for, it will be more of a "pick your poison" for the opponent. do you give JP more attention, freeing up others to eat, or do you go more traditional allowing JP more one on ones to take advantage of. Probably see combinations of both as we go along, but either way, i have a hard time believing NFL draft boards will drop elite edge guys that much. you gonna really let him get out of the 1st round? prolly not.
Will Anderson’s stats dipped two years ago and his 40 time wasn’t as anticipated at the Underwear Olympics. Still top edge drafted and Defensive Rookie of the Year. It’s why I cited “Mock”. Talking and writing heads who live off of mock projections are noted for being reactionary. Dudes making the actual decision don’t limit themselves.

Even the haters aren’t going nuts and kicking him out of the first day. But the same guys were mocking him as top overall or top five three weeks ago.

A day at Dollywood for me is:

Red's Drive In for a Burger at 12:00
Then a nice pulled pork sandwich at 2:00
Then a bag of Pork Rinds at 3:30
Then a large cup of Dipping Dots at 5:00
Before i exit the park 2 bags of those candied pecans to go

I spend a chunk of money just eating 😆
No cinnamon bread?...😳...that stuff is basically manna from heaven.

I wish there was still something left to discover on earth. As much as I stare at Google earth and maps for hours, I think I would’ve taken up the opportunity. I’d probably have died trying but I have the spirit lol
Me too...I tell people all the time that I was born 170 years too late...and I was made to be in the American west..I absolutely love it.

It has already been discussed in the Deboer hire that Bama had to step up their game. Saban and Kirby at one time were both earning their schools signifigant discounts under the nfl pipeline and under the table payments guise. Both groups were holding out believing us and Miami would get hammered and the collectives would cease. Once we won that lawsuit a number of power schools quickly found themselves on the wrong side of the bet/debate/structure. UGA has been panicking and doing initiatives this year to catch up. They also started losing depth pieces. The NFL pipeline is still real, but the backbone of elite teams is players that might not make the draft. This is where NIL has flipped the script.

The question moving forward is salaries. Many of these good ol boy programs believe once salaries come into play their underground networks will prosper and take back over because the NIL's will be handcuffed publicly. I disagree and TN seems to also, but the collectives are structuring for increased scrutiny on the marketing aspects.

I am not sure i did that discussion justice but it is interesting and I have been proud of how astute Spyre has been in this shifting space. I proudly contribute my small share as a direct result of believing in their effort and loving their outcomes.
💯

VN Store

Back