Recruiting Football Talk VIII

Do people not realize the Titans fanbase Venn diagram is not two overlapping circles of Titans & Vols?

Signficant portions of Mississippi, Kentucky, and Alabama are also Titans fans.

Many Vols fans aren't even Titans fans. Just looking through this forum that is apparent, but nobody is pleading for all Vol fans to become Titans fans, because we'd all recognize that as absurd. Yet, people complain when the Titans get and draft players from rival universities.

And oftentimes it seems the people complaining are fans of a different NFL franchise in the first place who, wait for it, also don't peddle to the Vols or any other college fanbase.
Grew up in KTown and literally only knew 2 Titans fans.

Most Tennesseeans have wideranging allegiances when it comes to the NFL. Titans are still youngblood...and Houston blooded. No real allegiance to us either, so sorta mutual.

lol do you want them to ask players thoughts on the Vols during the pre-draft interview process? Or have a team rule where players can’t say bad things about UT?
No, draft the best players (which they haven't) then spend as much time coaching them not to be intentionally inflamatory toward local culture as they spend coaching them to woke.

Latham, could have just as easily said, "I'm an Alabama guy, so you probably shouldn't ask me." And laughed about it. I have no problem with him being an Alabama alum. I am insulted by his arrogance and stupidity to be openly hostile to a portion of the people who pay his check with their tickets and PSLs and concessions and swag.

pretty good comparison.

I like the Farve one............
No titans fan but its still a possibility he can not suck, year and a half in and he can still turn it around..........but I'm leaning toward it being unlikely. He has a lot of bad habits that can be fixed, but will he is the question.

No titans fan but its still a possibility he can not suck, year and a half in and he can still turn it around..........but I'm leaning toward it being unlikely. He has a lot of bad habits that can be fixed, but will he is the question.
He honestly has everything you want in a QB................Except "the Head"

Heath Shuler is another comparison...........

I'm referencing faking injuries to stop the clock to give the team a rest, slow down momentum of the other team.
Yah. I know. UT has the ball. UT has to substitute before the opponent can substitute. If they're dropping a fake injury to stop the clock, it's because UT is going fast and refusing to substitute. There will be very few times that Lane Kiffin will be able to run a 3rd stringer on, just to drop, stop the clock, and get the defense a rest.

That's the point of Heupel's tempo.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
Like father, like son.

On Sept. 14, 1990, Ken Griffey Jr. and Ken Griffey Sr. made history, as they have been known to do, when they became the first father-son duo to hit back-to-back home runs in a game against the California Angels.

When Griffey Sr. signed with the Seattle Mariners (Griffey Jr.’s team at the time), no father and son had ever even played together on the same team.

The exceptionally talented family pair played together for two seasons, in 1990 and 1991, as Senior’s career was winding down and Junior’s path to the Hall of Fame was beginning.

Angels’ right handed pitcher Kirk McCaskill was on the other end of history as he gave up the home runs.

1726327883498.png

They literally drafted Theo Jackson last year as a prime example

They also picked Justin Hunter in the second round back when. These are just two examples

People just don’t pay attention
They sign a Vol or 2 and Commodore or 2 as UDFAs every year. People really don't pay attention.

I remember when they took a flyer on Alex Ellis. Luke Stocker was on the team for a while. They signed Gabe Judy-Lally and Jabari Small this year. They pulled Trevor Daniel off a UPS truck a few years ago when the punter got injured.

Reactions: SmokinBob and mrMet
Titans just need to draft the best players. Doesn't matter what school they are from.

But Will Levis was a horrible pick IMO. I don't care what "draft experts" think of the pick. I know what I saw when I watched him play. Draft experts are wrong all the time. Look at all the other recent QB busts. The same experts were high on them, too.

Honestly, a big part of the "drafting Vols" argument stems from their only being two real QB choices when Levis was taken. It was Levis or Hooker. Of course, we all feel Hooker would have been a better choice. We all saw Levis be hot garbage, and we all saw Hooker on a potential Heisman trajectory before he went down. The fact they picked Levis made a lot of us feel some kind of way.
Yet we conveniently forget that Hooker was injured and the Titans needed someone available Day 1. Malik Willis wasn't ready and Tannehill ended up getting injured.

The real problem was not retaining Dobbs in that backup role (an actual time they DID pander to Vols fans was signing Dobbs in the first place).

Or you just don’t read the posts. It’s funny that nobody else can answer points @SoilVol and I have made about other organizations not courting the state university fanbase.

To each their own
And if you pay attention to my posts, you'll see it's not about drafting Vols. Sure, it would be nice if they did, but it's more about drafting smart and not courting controversy.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
He honestly has everything you want in a QB................Except "the Head"

Heath Shuler is another comparison...........
Ill say this, he would make the giants better if he were there. Also, he may bomb in Nashville and pick up somewhere else and receive better coaching and fit someone else's system and be great. Still unlikely, but it could happen. I don't like him at all nor would I have drafted him, think the chance of him panning out is small, but I'm not an NFL GM so I don't really know anything. He seems like a prick and a locker room problem, but again I don't know anything, its just my uninformed opinion. He really does have all the physical tools, very talented.

Reactions: SoilVol
Yah. I know. UT has the ball. UT has to substitute before the opponent can substitute. If they're dropping a fake injury to stop the clock, it's because UT is going fast and refusing to substitute. There will be very few times that Lane Kiffin will be able to run a 3rd stringer on, just to drop, stop the clock, and get the defense a rest.

That's the point of Heupel's tempo.
I'm not just referring to games TN is playing in, I'm talking about college football in general.

Yeah me too, 3 seasons wasn't nearly enough. Never have to much Ash, only complaint was killing off his dad to early. Lee majors was great as Ash's dad.
It must cost a lot to produce. Still, with the cult following, it seems like a goldmine. I'm kinda surprised they haven't cashed in like the rest of Hollywood and constantly pump out movies & series like Marvel & DC do.

Also, there's a stupid video game on PC, I think it's free, called "BroForce". It has Ash as one of the characters. Pretty awesome little game for when you get bored. . . they may have actually turned it into a full-length game one Steam, but I think you can still get the free version.

Reactions: Volunteer821
Or you just don’t read the posts. It’s funny that nobody else can answer points @SoilVol and I have made about other organizations not courting the state university fanbase.

To each their own
At least three people have answered that, including me.

Summary:
It's not JUST about rivals, examples given.
It's not JUST that he's unlikable and weird. Winning is likable.
It's those things, plus him being a chronic loser who sucked in college, with little indication that he won't suck worse against higher competition levels.

EVERY organization needs to court their fanbases. The Titans may be the worst at doing so. This is from someone who was a fan since they came to Tennessee. I started this season as a casual observer. You know what? He's the same loser he was before they drafted him, just worse.

So, we all agree that you'll most likely remain a likable member of the board.

If not, feel free to go full Titan and become incredibly unlikable to the Vol fans here. You do you.
If being happy and gloating that the Titans are winning with an arrogant, weird, UK qb makes me an unlikeable poster, then that’s more to do with yall than it does me

I don’t have hard feelings for those of yall who don’t like or hate the Titans. I only argue when yall say they need to cater to Vols fans by drafting Vols players.

Its the same thing (to me) as the posters who say the Vols need to “lock down the state” by taking a ton of instate kids when they may not be who that staff want.

Reactions: SoilVol
Yet we conveniently forget that Hooker was injured and the Titans needed someone available Day 1. Malik Willis wasn't ready and Tannehill ended up getting injured.

The real problem was not retaining Dobbs in that backup role (an actual time they DID pander to Vols fans was signing Dobbs in the first place).
They traded for Dobbs because they had a need. That wasn't catering to Vol fans. Catering to Vol fans would have been resigning him. Ironically, that would have also been the smart move. They knew Willis was not good. They knew RT was injury prone. They should have signed an experienced back up. That also would have allowed them to draft an injured Hendon Hooker. Levis was a bad choice.

No, draft the best players (which they haven't) then spend as much time coaching them not to be intentionally inflamatory toward local culture as they spend coaching them to woke.

Latham, could have just as easily said, "I'm an Alabama guy, so you probably shouldn't ask me." And laughed about it. I have no problem with him being an Alabama alum. I am insulted by his arrogance and stupidity to be openly hostile to a portion of the people who pay his check with their tickets and PSLs and concessions and swag.
You already said you aren't a Titans fan, so why do you care and why are you so offended? If anything I'd think you'd want him to be more controversial and inflammatory so the Titans get fewer fans and his paycheck suffers 🤷🏼‍♂️

I'm not just referring to games TN is playing in, I'm talking about college football in general.
So it wasn't a comment about tempo and substitutions?

I won't worry much if Lane Kiffin substitutes for a third stringer to fake an injury against an offense that going slow and making substitutions. That seems like an odd thing to worry about.

Otherwise, temp and rules will work the same for whomever is running tempo.

VN Store

Back