Recruiting Football Talk VIII

man, big game.

college football is just weird. if i'm looking at this game just on match ups only, OU's path to a W is just harder than ours. i think the biggest mis match is our D line v their O line. and i'm not sure how many of their Oline is coming back off injury, but i'm also not sure that it matters, except some additional depth? regardless, it's obviously still a huge step up in competition level from what we've seen so far, so i don't mean to imply it's not. but it is a match up that favors us, and in a LOS game, that should matter. watch their QB run game...he's slippery. i'm also curious to see how, or if, any of the WR's that may come back off injury factor here....is this a big test for our secondary? i keep hearing about how OU is capable of big plays....but haven't seen it.

on the other side of the ball, i think the match up is more favorable for OU, but that simply means it's more even. i don't expect to put up another monster rushing performance this week, but i do expect we're going to run the ball and we'll find success. i think when you factor in Sampson, Bishop, Seldon and Nico....we get the run game going and make it something they have to deal with.

i'm not sure about the passing game. has nothing to do with Nico, as much as it does with how Venebles may attack it. i think we have to continue to spread the defense out wide and make them decide. TE's could figure in as a big factor in the passing game this week. i wonder how we decide to attack the middle of the field, they have good LB and Safety play on their side....

at the end of the day, i think we're the better team and are more than capable of getting a W here.

that said, i don't have any misunderstanding....this is a HUGE game for OU. first SEC game, night game, game day, in their house, and Heupel coming back....lots of intangibles that i just don't know how they will impact the game. does crowd noise bother the offense? does OU continue with the lucky bounces with the turnovers?

i'm picking us to win this game. but it will be extremely important to start well. cause i have a feeling OU will. and i bet they'll do some things we've not seen yet to catch us off guard. on the flip side, i think we've actually shown a lot so far this season, which may mean they have a lot to prepare for...maybe they get caught in some "paralysis by analysis"? and i also think there's probably a few things we haven't done yet either on film.

get thru the first 10 or so minutes, and the game settles in....we do what we do. 27-17 TN. but i expect the 1st half to be pretty intense. just need to get thru that, and i think we wear them down with our depth in the second half, and finally pull away a little bit.

GBO.🍊
Read my mind, jake. Why I don’t think we hang 40 like everybody here expects is I don’t see a WR outside of Squirrel on the boundary on go routes that can just get separation. And Nico has been flirting with a pick on a comeback route. Heupel can scheme up someone open consistently but I do wonder if Nico has enough experience to process it.

Reactions: DD4ME and Glitch
man, big game.

college football is just weird. if i'm looking at this game just on match ups only, OU's path to a W is just harder than ours. i think the biggest mis match is our D line v their O line. and i'm not sure how many of their Oline is coming back off injury, but i'm also not sure that it matters, except some additional depth? regardless, it's obviously still a huge step up in competition level from what we've seen so far, so i don't mean to imply it's not. but it is a match up that favors us, and in a LOS game, that should matter. watch their QB run game...he's slippery. i'm also curious to see how, or if, any of the WR's that may come back off injury factor here....is this a big test for our secondary? i keep hearing about how OU is capable of big plays....but haven't seen it.

on the other side of the ball, i think the match up is more favorable for OU, but that simply means it's more even. i don't expect to put up another monster rushing performance this week, but i do expect we're going to run the ball and we'll find success. i think when you factor in Sampson, Bishop, Seldon and Nico....we get the run game going and make it something they have to deal with.

i'm not sure about the passing game. has nothing to do with Nico, as much as it does with how Venebles may attack it. i think we have to continue to spread the defense out wide and make them decide. TE's could figure in as a big factor in the passing game this week. i wonder how we decide to attack the middle of the field, they have good LB and Safety play on their side....

at the end of the day, i think we're the better team and are more than capable of getting a W here.

that said, i don't have any misunderstanding....this is a HUGE game for OU. first SEC game, night game, game day, in their house, and Heupel coming back....lots of intangibles that i just don't know how they will impact the game. does crowd noise bother the offense? does OU continue with the lucky bounces with the turnovers?

i'm picking us to win this game. but it will be extremely important to start well. cause i have a feeling OU will. and i bet they'll do some things we've not seen yet to catch us off guard. on the flip side, i think we've actually shown a lot so far this season, which may mean they have a lot to prepare for...maybe they get caught in some "paralysis by analysis"? and i also think there's probably a few things we haven't done yet either on film.

get thru the first 10 or so minutes, and the game settles in....we do what we do. 27-17 TN. but i expect the 1st half to be pretty intense. just need to get thru that, and i think we wear them down with our depth in the second half, and finally pull away a little bit.

GBO.🍊
The only comment i would add is it sounds like they typically like to stack the box. Their base tends to have 6+ near the LOS. 12 personell only plays to their strengths. I think the tight ends take a back seat. If we have them in for protection that probably means Venebles got his way schematically. We need Nico and passing to shine this week. WR need to make wise choices on their choice routes and Nico needs to make the pass.

The only comment i would add is it sounds like they typically like to stack the box. I think the tight ends take a back seat. If we have them in for protection that probably means Venebles got his way schematically. We need Nico and passing to shine this week.
I think the tight ends will lull them to sleep blocking and then slip out for big gains.

Very fitting that this is the verse for today and these thoughts hit home very hard. I’ve been struggling with a lot of things in my career. Most of you know that the veterinary profession carries one of the highest suicide rates in the world. That is never an option for me, because my faith in God and his promises are too strong and great to lose them. I have been struggling immensely with a lot of things and, am considering walking away from the Equine profession that I have given over 23 years of my life too. My plan is to convert to small animal medicine. While equine medicine is my passion, I have reached the point that I can’t keep doing it the way that I currently do it, and my boss seems to be unwilling to make any changes for me that I need. I read this verse as I started reading a four page letter to him yesterday morning. Now I see it on here this morning with all the things I feel and struggle with. Thanks for this! I feel like it’s God telling me I’ve got you and I have your plans laid out for you… Just trust in Me, so I will as I always have tried to do. Sorry for getting off topic.
Hugs 🧡

I think the tight ends will lull them to sleep blocking and then slip out for big gains.
Then they get to have all their hog mollies at the line of scrimmage, which is how they play. They have the largest d linemen in the conference. It would not be my strategy to play into their strength. Their DB'S on the other hand are SEC slow. One was a Georgia guy that went to Louisville. A Georgia guy with speed is not ending up in Norman or Louisville typically unless he is not fast enough.

Their secondary is the biggest mismatch we have. Their D line is their greatest strength.

Literally my only concern is that "road Tennessee" from the previous couple years shows up. We are better in every way than OU, the only way we lose is if we play well below our potential....which we've proven we can do on the road many times.
The crowd always really messes with our OL, and that is the issue that causes all of our problems in these loud road games...hopefully we have found a solution to that.

Then they get to have all their hog mollies at the line of scrimmage, which is how they play. They have the largest d linemen in the conference. It would not be my strategy to play into their strength. Their DB'S on the other hand are SEC slow. One was a Georgia guy that went to Louisville. A Georgia guy with speed is not ending up in Norman or Louisville typically.
they have 4 DL, we have 5 OL. Their LBs are big but on the slow side too. They crash, they get burned. Screen game will be prominent I believe.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how good we really are, NC State isn't the same team they were last year. Lost a lot and we were their first real test of the season. They really could have lost to both the other teams they've faced too.

And then obviously Chattanooga and Kent State aren't exactly good measuring sticks for us either.

We have 4 straight games though that'll show how good we really are at OU, BYE, at Arkansas, vs Florida and vs Bama. If we're undefeated going into Bama then we're a playoff team imo...if we're undefeated going into Athens then we're a legit National title team.

Read my mind, jake. Why I don’t think we hang 40 like everybody here expects is I don’t see a WR outside of Squirrel on the boundary on go routes that can just get separation. And Nico has been flirting with a pick on a comeback route. Heupel can scheme up someone open consistently but I do wonder if Nico has enough experience to process it.
What is it with you guys and "separation"...it's like a smart sounding buzzword that you heard Chizzle say and took up the call.

There is nothing wrong with our WRs...the problem is teams dropping deep and refusing to leave one man on those go routes...they have all been extremely stubborn about it.

I don't blame them...nearly every time they do take a chance and leave one on one on the deep routes...he and the reciever burn it.

The only comment i would add is it sounds like they typically like to stack the box. Their base tends to have 6+ near the LOS. 12 personell only plays to their strengths. I think the tight ends take a back seat. If we have them in for protection that probably means Venebles got his way schematically. We need Nico and passing to shine this week. WR need to make wise choices on their choice routes and Nico needs to make the pass.
If they go with a heavier box this is going to be the Mike Matthews coming out party

The crowd always really messes with our OL, and that is the issue that causes all of our problems in these loud road games...hopefully we have found a solution to that.
More worried about the players that haven’t had a true road game yet.

The more I think about it, not really worried about Nico anymore. I am worried about Ricky though.

I think they will pick on him all night, I hope he’s read for the test.

Other than that, I think we should handle business.

Literally my only concern is that "road Tennessee" from the previous couple years shows up. We are better in every way than OU, the only way we lose is if we play well below our potential....which we've proven we can do on the road many times.
We ain't losing this game. Out of all the games on the schedule, everyone on the team knows the importance of this game to CJH.

More worried about the players that haven’t had a true road game yet.

The more I think about it, not really worried about Nico anymore. I am worried about Ricky though.

I think they will pick on him all night, I hope he’s read for the test.

Other than that, I think we should handle business.
I'm with you.

Having leaders (elders) all along the OL, and some leaders (elders) on the DL and Pili. I think we have guys all over that will not be deterred. Squirrel will lead the WR room. Sampson won't be rattled. Even someone like Brooks can lead by example and demonstrate the impact you can have on the road starting hot (his LSU fumble recovery).

We have the talent all over. We seem to be venomous on offense and stout on defense. We have experience.

This game will tell us a lot about leadership.

It will tell us a lot about who Nico is. Big time players make big time plays in big time games. That's just the way it is. Like a lot of posters here, I think he's going to step up. I think he's ready to step up.

We've got guys on the roster that ate it on the road. We've got guys on the roster that excelled on the road. I don't think this game or environment will catch anyone by surprise. They've seen it all at this point. Nico seems to be very cool, very level-headed.

I can't wait to see what we're made of.

VN Store

Back