Recruiting Football Talk VIII

We would've hired Gruden if it weren't for your Game Thread. . .
Moana You Are Welcome GIFs | Tenor

On all this “heup” and praise coming from media and even OK coach/admin. It’s rat poison.

I believe it will be a battle early but we pull away in the second half. Heupel and this team have a killer instinct and are saying all the right things leading up to this game. I do not believe he will let the team get sucked in.

OK atmosphere will be fierce, but this team seems to have a different mindset this year. There may be some miscues, but I just don’t see us having a ‘22 SC or ‘23 Mizzou performance.

Dang, I wish I had the monies to go to this game. GBO!

The thing about UT’s offense isn’t that the WRs are track-speed faster. They may be, but it’s not the point. As soon as somebody takes a slow step to think and process, he’s cooked and he’s so far out in space that help is not nearby. Defending this offense requires instant and insane commitment to doing your job.

If OK goes heavy in the box, it’s trying to make Nico beat them with his arm. I think he passes that test pretty comfortably. If OK goes light in the box—3 down and 2 LB, say—it will be daring UT to run and win blocks. I still think UT wins that matchup, but it might be closer. If I were OK, I’d be trying to force run reads and then get Nico to pull the ball and run. Is he willing to keep running on the road and take take hits? Or will UT’s coaches start pre-determining reads? I’ve seen Nico pass in the face of what look to me like run reads, and that means that he’s not really deciding or sometimes forcing passes.
Welcome to the hub AB. Insights always appreciated.

"Several coaches in the SEC I talked to about this today disagreed with me on this, but I don't think it's a blowout. Tennessee to win, OU to cover." - Josh Pate

So you're telling me multiple coaches around the SEC think Tennessee is going to blow out OU in Norman?
That’s the way I heard it.

The only comment i would add is it sounds like they typically like to stack the box. Their base tends to have 6+ near the LOS. 12 personell only plays to their strengths. I think the tight ends take a back seat. If we have them in for protection that probably means Venebles got his way schematically. We need Nico and passing to shine this week. WR need to make wise choices on their choice routes and Nico needs to make the pass.
it's a good point here. though i do think we've shown to be creative enough with TE's they could still be involved. but i do agree about the 12 personnel, situationally, i'm sure we'll see it.

if they do put 6+ in the box, we'll have opportunities down the field. and that could turn in to us getting up on them relatively quickly, and take them out of their game plan. should be a good chess match between these two coaches. if i wasn't a biased observer, i'm sure i'd be entertained. lol.

but i am, and i'd rather just throttle them and be done with it. 🤣 🍊

Honestly I have overthought this way too much. Here are my 3 deciding factors for the game. I put them in my order of priority.

1. Can Arnold escape our pressure. He is their entire offense. He is their rushing leader, and they have no other true explosives. We will get pressure, but he has good wheels. This is what the film study should focus on. I don't think OK's oline is much better than NC states.

2. Can our oline hold up to what i believe will be their primary focus. Pressure. Their d line is their best unit, and they have one of the best linebackers in the country. This is not debtable. I would bring the heat and make Nico react in what may be the most hostile environment we play in.

3. Do our skill players play poorly under pressure as they did way too often last year? Nico throws a prettier ball and more guys are healthy, but a fumble here and a drop there could put this one in jeopardy.

We have more ways to win. We have more athletes on the bus. They need our help to lose.

I’m watching the replay of the A&M gator game.
In the 4th quarter, gators started to move the ball and scored a touchdown against the A&M backups.

I seriously want CJH to keep the starters in until the clock hits zero.
I want them to hang 50 in the first half and then another 50 in the second.
I want it to be the all time high score shutout game in Tennessee football history.

Who’s with me? 😈

Honestly I have overthought this way too much. Here are my 3 deciding factors for the game. I out them in my order of priority.

1. Can Arnold escape our pressure. He is their entire offense. He is their rushing leader, and they have no other true explosives. We will get pressure, but he has good wheels. This is what the film study should focus on. I don't think OK's oline is much better than NC states.

2. Can our oline hold up to what i believe will be their primary focus. Pressure. Their d line is their best unit, and they have one of the best linebackers in the country. This is not debtable. I would bring the heat and make Nico react in what may be the most hostile environment we play in.

3. Do our skill players play poorly under pressure as they did way too often last year? Nico throws a prettier ball and more guys are healthy, but a fumble here and a drop there could out this one in jeopardy.

We have more ways to win. We have more athletes on the bus. They need our help to lose.
Just like every huge game in conference. The turnover differential will be a big factor in the outcome of the game.

Need to win Field position battle as well.

VN Store

Back