Recruiting Football Talk VIII

The Dream Team had much more pride and desire to dominate. A Michael Jordan story I heard, recently. Jordan played 36 holes of golf on game day… Chuck Daly set the lineups and told Jordan that he had the 2 guard. Mike stated that he had the point guard. Chuck stated… don’t you want to guard the 2 guard? Jordan said, I’ve got the point guard. Barkley said that Jordan guarded him full court the entire game… Harrassing the hades out of him. The point guard had apparently said something about him in the news leading up to the game. Near the end of the game… Jordan smacked the ball from him and told him… don’t ever talk about me again.
This also. It was our first ever pro team. It was unique and special. We finally got to go toe-to-toe with the world and show out.

Fast Forward to just 1996 and it was nothing like it. MJ passed on it and the fervor wasn't the same from the team or nation. And it never was again. That's why the 92 olympics will always hold a special place in USA Basketball hearts.

No they're not, no one is, but they won by 20+.

Also a different era altogether. The dream team only had to face 9 NBA players all tournament. This team will end up facing 60-70.

It's a new ball game and the world is catching up. It will be interesting to watch over the next 50 years as the 2nd/3rd world population boom occurs. I'll say a couple of those countries will end up being major players. Nigeria will become the 3rd most populated country, surpassing the US, by 2050, so they seem like a favorite to contend.
And they could have beaten PR by 30 to 40 if they wanted.

I started watching international basketball in the 08 Olympics and just in that time there's been very noticeable step up.

Reactions: Devo182
Should have had gold in this mixed relay but we blew a lead and finished second to the Dutch.

tenor.gif

This also. It was our first ever pro team. It was unique and special. We finally got to go toe-to-toe with the world and show out.

Fast Forward to just 1996 and it was nothing like it. MJ passed on it and the fervor wasn't the same from the team or nation. And it never was again. That's why the 92 olympics will always hold a special place in USA Basketball hearts.
Jordan passed bc he wanted the younger stars to experience it…. He was not happy that Kemp was left off that team.

Reactions: LaagerVol

VN Store

Back