Recruiting Football Talk VIII

Also, anyone else think Venables royally screwed himself, both in offensive production as well as his perception to the fans?

You run Gabriel off when he wanted to stay, because you don't want to spook the 5 star RS Frosh that's sitting on the bench. 5 star frosh has come-apart against UT. You yank him for the true freshman. Gabriel still looking great at his new home. Now you have a QB controversy with the guy you pacified by running off super-senior production.

It's like a microcosm of the Stoops/CJH situation.
I know Venables history and his success in college football, but last night was the first time I watched him speak for an extended period of time (his post UT press conference). I wouldn't want him leading my program. He threw Arnold under the bus imo. That sh*t show Oklahoma put on the field was more about coaching than it was one player. It starts at the top and I didn't see him taking much accountability. Just my personal opinion. He might be an incredible coordinator but I don't think he is going to make it as a HC.

I know Venables history and his success in college football, but last night was the first time I watched him speak for an extended period of time (his post UT press conference). I wouldn't want him leading my program. He threw Arnold under the bus imo. That sh*t show Oklahoma put on the field was more about coaching than it was one player. It starts at the top and I didn't see him taking much accountability. Just my personal opinion. He might be an incredible coordinator but I don't think he is going to make it as a HC.
He threw Arnold under the bus in that end-of-half mini-interview as well. Since Stoops still hangs around as the program Grand Poobah, I wonder if there was a lot of pressure on the staff and players b/c of Heupel coming back. I mean, Stoops ran him off and hired his replacement who then turned traitor. Stoops snubbed Heupel to fill that vacancy, and instead hired unproven Venables. What are the optics if, after all that, Heupel marches in and embarrasses them?

That's what happened. Stoops expects some 'splainin', and Venables is the one that has to do it, even though it's the bed that Stoops made.

VN Store

Back