Recruiting Football Talk VIII

It's a classic trap game spot after beating OU, I'd be legit nervous if not for the BYE.
And Heup's record after a bye/week off is impeccable.

At UCF he was 4-1. Four blowouts and one 1 point loss to a good Memphis team in the covid year where he had all the injuries and covid opt outs.

3-0 at TN
@ No.18 UK
@ LSU
H Tex A&M

We are going to splatter Arkansas. No bye yet for them and they will be coming off a very physical game against a talented A&M.

Their offense is good and Landen Jackson scares me against our questionable tackle situation, but Heup will have us ready to unleash some shizz on them and we will take their souls.

We owe them. The Vol retribution tour shall continue. Haven't beaten them since Ainge and Co bulldozed them in 07.

FYI. Someone called CFB Archive posted a video of our 1989 UCLA game about a year ago. I've looked for the game several times over the years without luck. I didn't think this was a TV game. Maybe this is from a PAC-10 version of the SEC's old Jefferson Pilot regional broadcasts?

A great win at the Rose Bowl stadium in Pasadena. UCLA was ranked #6 in the nation. It was Chuck Webb's debut. (Webb enters the game at 26:29 on the video (the announcer thinks he's Reggie Cobb on his first carry.) Majors shuffled tailbacks from that point on and also deployed the soon-to-be-famous "Cobb-Webb" combo set later in this game. You may also recognize a certain popular Neyland Stadium DJ.

During our two week game-less stretch, someone may want to take a look.

Last edited:
Tennessee is "impressive"

The Vol defense is the talk of the NCAAF.

source.gif

Interesting. Gotta trust Swain so not a good look at all
Not going to be THAT guy, but my hope is we get good production from him the rest of the season and then be open minded to the possibility he portals back to his beloved LSU. Ideally Sanders backs him up next season but gets enough reps to seamlessly be THE GUY in 2026, but not petrified at the thought of fast tracking our better talent in our better OL classes. Perry, Warren, Ginther, Satterwhite and Anderson with the talent AND culture > best available portal mercenary imo.

FYI. Someone called CFB Archive posted a video of our 1989 UCLA game about a year ago. I've looked for the game several times over the years without luck. I didn't think this was a TV game. Maybe this is from a PAC-10 version of the SEC's old Jefferson Pilot regional broadcasts?

A great win at the Rose Bowl stadium in Pasadena. It was Chuck Webb's debut. (Webb enters the game at 26:29 (the announcer thinks he's Reggie Cobb on his first carry.) Majors shuffled tailbacks from that point on and deployed the soon-to-be-famous "Cobb-Webb" combo set later in this game. You may also recognize a certain popular Neyland Stadium DJ.

During this two week gameless stretch, someone may want to take a look.

Fulmer’s offense. He introduced the unbalanced line which was awesome and made Charles McCrae and Antone Davis first round picks.

people saying UT and OU will be "friends now" as fanbases. Like the new kid coming to school and we're going to show them around or something? OK. Naw. Nope. Sorry but the difference between the SEC and whatever conference you came from is we can't have friends. We hate everyone. We line up and play ball and are mentally insane

when they say the SEC is just different, they mean we are insane. And I love it
amen-anchorman.gif

Reactions: CABVOL
Where have you seen this? I saw two current players interviewed a couple of weeks ago, and one specifically said Halzle was calling plays. As due dilligence, I'll try to go back and find the video if I get the chance.
Just look at the sidelines they zoom in on Heupel calling plays literally as he’s calling them into the headset

Reactions: screenthis
Fulmer’s offense. He introduced the unbalanced line which was awesome and made Charles McCrae and Antone Davis first round picks.
Yep.

The '89 Vols were SEC co-champs, finishing 11-1 and Top 5 nationally, and capping off the year with a win over Southwest Conference champion Arkansas in the Cotton Bowl. Many consider that Cotton Bowl to be perhaps Webb's finest day as a Vol. (Texas A&M was the Southwest Conference runner up that year.)

Last edited:
Just look at the sidelines they zoom in on Heupel calling plays literally as he’s calling them into the headset
He covers his mouth. Not to be an ass, but you'd have to be reading lips to know that. Halzle has a headset as well. And I assume there is a lot of conversations in-game from the coaches with the headsets.

I'm sure CJH has overrule, and may even be in the discussion. It doesn't matter to me much one way or another, but like I said, I heard UT offensive players in an interview mention Halzle calling the plays. Just curious why so many here are so adamant that it's CJH. If the assurance here is by reading covered lips, then so be it.

And as far as the overrule, that seems to be what Halzle describes in this article. Communal, lots of communication. Sounds like Joey is in the booth with the better view and tells what he thinks we should play, but CJH is the boss and gets overrule:

This is last season, his first season, but:

Halzle spoke to the Knoxville Quarterback Club on Monday, taking questions from fans ahead of No. 14 Tennessee’s game Saturday at 16th-ranked Missouri. A few of the questions he received had to do with the Vols’ play-calling, and Halzle made it clear that Heupel is still heavily involved in determining what Tennessee runs.

“It’s communal,” Halzle told the group. “It’s like we’ve been saying from the beginning. Coach Heupel, as the head coach and being the architect of this offense, he’s got first, second and third say if he wants it on any type of play. I’m up top and I’m giving him what I’m seeing, what I think we should get to, and Coach Heupel will always have the final say on anything like that.”

In January, after being promoted from quarterbacks coach to fill the vacancy left by former offensive coordinator Alex Golesh’s departure, Halzle told Knoxville’s 99.1 The Sports Animal that Heupel was “always going to be involved with” play-calling.

“Always has been, always will be,” Halzle added, “and like I said, we do things extremely communally and we communicate really well, both in the office and on the headset. We’ll see what the end (result) ends up being there.”

Reactions: butchna
JP was his own worst enemy Saturday...he missed 2-3 relatively easy ones because he just either missed the tackle or overran the play.

There was one late when Hawkins was doing his stupid running around like a chicken with his head cut off thing, that JP busted through the line and was clean free...and I thought we were about to witness a murder...but he literally just ran right past him.

I just chuckled...I assume JP felt he was gonna juke, but actually Hawkins just froze for a split second, and so JP just ran right past him.

Even so...he was causing havoc on every other play he was in.
He's so good it’s making him worse lol

Can’t wait to see him chase uf and bamas QBs all over the backfield.

This is why we had trouble running the ball. Look at that box.

View attachment 680127

Now, having admitted that we had trouble running the ball at times. This was about a 20 yard run against that box.
I haven’t rewatched the game. It seemed the slanted their linemen to the opposite side of the rb, ie sampson on left side of nico they rushed right. Mostly bull rushed (head down and just go) to make the zones messy and the LB and edge clean up the box.

Good grief. They've benched the guy for a true freshman b/c our defense smothered that entire offense and Hawkins (the true frosh backup) moved the ball a little bit in the second half. Wait until the OU fans figure out that that was b/c UT was playing 3rd and 4th string in the second half.

I'm not sure I could imagine a worse handling of a QB room. As mentioned, the news is that they literally ran Gabriel (super senior starter) off to pacify Arnold. Then they panicked in a game that they were NOT going to win, and sat Arnold for a true frosh who had very limited (but slightly better) success against our 3rd and 4th string defense. As I've watched the OU media since the game, it sounds like there will be a fan revolt if Arnold goes back in over the backup. And even if he did, the fans would be booing the poor guy like we did Guarantano. He's done at OU.

So, naturally, per the link in the tweet above:

1727200245340.png

Stay tuned for Arnold to transfer, which means that their handling of the QB room has wasted a super-senior that was trained up in the system by Heupel himself, as well as wasting a 5 star RSF QB, and left them dependent on a true freshman. Lord, thank you for the staff we have...

I'm a little bummed. First, for the Arnold kid. Second, for the Hawkins kid. Lastly, just because I wanted to see OU win out to help our SOS. Instead, it looks like that program is headed toward dumpster fire status. (Don't hate it for Stoops' sake, tho. I'll be honest.)

Reactions: screenthis

VN Store

Back