Recruiting Football Talk VIII

"The starting quarterback for undefeated UNLV announced on social media Tuesday that he will not play in any more games this season.

Matthew Sluka said he will instead use his redshirt year.

“I committed to UNLV based on certain representations that were made to me, which were not upheld after I enrolled," he posted on X, formerly Twitter. "Despite discussions, it became clear that these commitments would not be fulfilled in the future. I wish my teammates the best of luck this season and hope for the continued success of the program.

NIL (and the portal) has definitely changed the college football landscape. Some recruits go to a school only for the money......no loyalty to the school, no concern for a school's academics, administration, coaches, teammates, winning games...it's all about the benjamin's. They are no longer students getting a degree but are businessmen with agents making business decisions.
I don't think that money is the thing created the present situation in CFB. The money has always been there, just now it is out in the open. The biggest change agent in CFB is the wide open free agency created by the portal and court decisions.

Where did you hear him say this? Cuz the latest podcast he states, “Heard practiced Monday feeling like he could go. His ankle blew up and was in a boot the rest of week.”
Dude he was on this site night before the game saying he thought he would go. Then it changed. Sounded like a player decision. I do not care as long as there is a plan to get him back.

Good news about Heard. Guess his contract negotiations got worked out. 😜
I think it was a little more that he (and his representation) realized that CJH was not going to mess around and cave. This issue is they wanted more money to "play thru" an injury. Coaches basically told him play or don't play but we won't give you more money to play while hurt. He should be healthy enough by next Saturday to play close enough to 100% to not be a "risk" to his future.

I think it was a little more that he (and his representation) realized that CJH was not going to mess around and cave. This issue is they wanted more money to "play thru" an injury. Coaches basically told him play or don't play but we won't give you more money to play while hurt. He should be healthy enough by next Saturday to play close enough to 100% to not be a "risk" to his future.
Where the hell is this coming from?

they want mo money mo money mo money

Seems now (possibly ASU) offered Sluka more money, so he redshirts and saves his last year to go to ASU next year for mo money. Whatever happened Sluka is catching it bad on X formerly known as Twitter.

As he should. Dude is averaging 100ish yards passing a game with a 40% completion rate and is acting like he's Steamin' Willie Beamen.

Welcome to the clown show circus of paying college football players.
I love how everyone is blaming this on paying players, the players have always got paid. It has been that way since General Neyland was in short pants, it's just out in the open now. The real issue is the wide open portal. None of the craziness could happen without the totally unrestricted free agency we have in CFB today.

Monty Python | GIFGlobe

Strange posters sitting in their basement distributing titles is no basis for a system of government.

The Sluka deal is just further proof how grateful you all should be for Spyre.
I don't believe the kid for a second. There's no way a 6 figure deal was promised and there's nothing in writing. I think he's getting greedy and trying to strong arm for more money than he was promised.

If he really was promised money he's not getting, then he should hire a lawyer to sue whoever promised it to him and keep playing.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill

VN Store

Back