Recruiting Football Talk VIII

I know a lot of people say this isn’t good for you long term I don’t know I’m not a doctor. But I know that keto works or at least it does for me. I lost 30 lbs the first month on it and never looked back
I started at 320 I’m now at 217 this morning it’s strict but it works for me.

I count net carbs stay around 20 a day.
Good thing is literally almost nothing is worse for you long term than being overweight/obese

Here's another.

Fyi, Trey is a Johnson Citian. Great ambassador for ETSU.

Rob won about 750,000 awards with Blue Highway. And has done jazz, instrumental, and Gospel albums. Including a Grammy with Jerry Douglas.

Love me some Rob Ickes, Blue Highway, Jerry Douglas, all that.

Still wish Blue Highway was together in original form tho. 😕

I was recently working a full and just time job, and the other stuff that needs done on the farm at morning and night. My part time job kept me really active. When I quit out of necessity, I was just too drained, I started gaining weight pretty quickly.

So if I eat fruits and stuff during the morning, maybe some straight protein at lunch I think I should start to get on track. My job keeps me at a desk all day. I think that was big issue, I was snacking all day instead of just eating a planned mean in morning and lunch.
I’m one of the worst people to listen to about diet habits. What works for one may not work for others. Should have started with that first in my first post, huh. I’ve worked in the food industry a long time and taught myself a lot. I just know that sometimes our diet habits are also influenced by different things. My post was just basic stuff, I’m sorry if I over stepped my bounds.

Keto works...period...I eat a lot, and I drop a half pound to 2 pounds every week.

I snack on pork rinds and cheeze during the day, and eat a lot of vegetables at mealtimes with real butter or olive oil during the week, and I eat a lot of meat and veggies, and I mean a lot on weekends.

50 pounds and counting.

I will have a cheat weekend, or when we are traveling for a few days where I eat anything I want, but I only do that once every two months or so. I figure it's good to reset every once in a while.

That works for me.
I lost 75lbs about 25 years ago. I rarely do strict keto since then, but have greatly reduced carbs overall. When strict, I can't eat enough to gain, and always lose. The "calories in must be less than calories burnt" mentality is completely contrary to my experience.

I have known others who were not as successful on keto, but I'm sure it comes down to hormones. For those (like me) who are insulin dominant, keto just works. For those who aren't, it isn't nearly as helpful.

According to the radio today, the UNLV RB has done the same as the UNLV QB. If true, that suggests to me their NIL is really screwed up.
That's three guys counting the guy at USC. It is very surprising that 3 is by far the FEWEST players who have done this since the NCAA passed its new redshirting rule in 2018. It has nothing to do with NIL. The media and NCAA are lying or deliberately misleading you.

Remember ole Saban deliberately burning redshirts of players he thought would transfer? Ole "Joel Osteen Jr" at Clemson actually told the media braggingly that he would deliberately burn a kid's redshirt if he thought he was going to transfer, but there was no need because the player was staying. Oh, how funny! the media reported. There wasn't this big negative media push about it. In fact, most of sports media bragged about how great the rule was. A lot of players have asked not to play beyond 4 games since 2018.

But now you have a guy who doesn't want his redshirt burned against his will, and the media immediately frames the issue in a way to stoke maximum outrage before anyone knows the details of what actually happened. And before the day is out, we see that the NCAA is trying use "outrage" about this in order to get its power back and restore its tyranny of criminality.

Meanwhile, UNLV has violated NIL rules by having an assistant coach promise NIL, reportedly, and... crickets. Even worse, UNLV makes the excuse that an assistant coach doling out NIL didn't matter because word would have had to have come illegally from the head coach (!) to the player or agent. Suddenly the NCAA doesn't care.

All the NCAA wants is for people to believe that this issue has not been going on for 6 years, that it is a direct result of NIL, and that the only solution "to save football" :rolleyes: is for the NCAA to seize control of NIL, which is working fine in the free market.

Meanwhile the NCAA is still deliberately covering up for Michigan. They have still not said what was on those Michigan computers and why the FBI was involved.

Finally, if there does turn out to be a problem here of some sort, the market will "bake that in" to future NIL dealings. The gigantic amount that is owed to players for back years is exclusively the NCAA's doing. The NCAA buried their head in the sand about the NIL issue for a decade.

Last edited:
Lol sometimes people leaving is not a bad thing .

See, no problem. Well, the NCAA trying to exploit the situation for gigantic new powers is a problem. But other than that, meh. The NCAA passed the rules that a player who played no more than 4 games could transfer. They are not the savior of anything except the favorites that seek to racketeer for.

To the ones on the weight loss journey...congrats! I hover around 280 -290lbs @ 6ft 3in. I just turned 40 a few weeks ago. I really need to lose weight. I would like to get down to 250 again. Other than discipline with your routine...what foods/drinks did you cut out where you immediately saw a change?
Cut out cokes, sweets, breads, focus on portion control. No snacking after dinner and exercise.

Even if you do keto, I still recommend counting calories for at least a month to get a baseline. Use the LoseIt app or something similar. You have to know your normal daily caloric intake to get a good grasp on which meals and foods are problematic for your weight loss goals.

The biggest things to cut out are soda and alcohol. Then it's paring down snacks throughout the day. Also, be VERY conscious of what you order at restaurants or fast food if you eat it. It's difficult to find much under 1,000 calories on sit-down restaurant menus and most fast food combos end up around that with fries or a side.

I eat at about a 300-400 calorie deficit most days and I track everything I eat or drink. Once you get in the habit it's hard to eat at restaurants because everything is loaded with calories. Even mindlessly eating chips at a Mexican restaurant can tack on 400 calories without even denting your appetite. It sucks to get to dinner and see you have like 200 calories left because you snacked a bunch or had a huge lunch.
Good point. We rarely eat at restaurants, and when we do, no appetizers and no dessert. I don’t miss any of it any more.

I’m 6’3” and was just above 230, now stay right around 190 all the time.

VN Store

Back