Recruiting Football Talk VIII

You were at my neighbors house. I was trying to throw Tod and Kim off my scent and put my name on several of my neighbors mailboxes. Bastards don't want to give me yard of the month, then see how you like having a couple degenerates living in your bushes for a while.
When we moved to Knoxville for my wife’s residency training, we rented out our house in Grapevine. When we moved back, the renters had let the yard go to hell. In retrospect, we should have rolled lawn care into the rent price (1st and last time that I ever want rental property).
Took us about a year to get the lawn and flower gardens looking decent again. Once it looked nice again, we came home to a “yard of the month” sign sticking up in our yard.
Our HOA didn’t have a yard of the month contest, but our yard looked so bad that they thought we deserved the acknowledgment when we fixed it. 😂
Our neighbors called our house the rent house…didn’t know, but ours was the only one that was leased in the neighborhood.

Agreed...that has been my experience as well. I tell people to try Keto and see how it works for them, if you are doing it right and are not losing weight...try something else, because your chemistry is just not made for it.

But I know a lot of folks that "say" they tried Keto and did it right, and after talking to them you find out they were eating a lot of that "Keto freindly" garbage on store shelves.

I try to cut carbs to the bone...and I don't eat any of that "Keto friendly" crap.
Agree. Do it right or try something else. I did it right and it worked like a charm. During the holidays I eased up and it cost me. Back on it again now.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
I lost 75lbs about 25 years ago. I rarely do strict keto since then, but have greatly reduced carbs overall. When strict, I can't eat enough to gain, and always lose. The "calories in must be less than calories burnt" mentality is completely contrary to my experience.

I have known others who were not as successful on keto, but I'm sure it comes down to hormones. For those (like me) who are insulin dominant, keto just works. For those who aren't, it isn't nearly as helpful.
(The following is a TLDR agreement to the above. :) BLUF: You are correct. meta-studies reinforce your experiences across ages, genders, and body types.

A couple of factors come into play.

When you cut out carbs, your calories have to come from either protein, fats, or a combination of the two. Both protein and fat take longer and more work to digest than carbs, so they are both more satiating than carbs. You feel fuller quicker and longer eating fats and proteins than eating carbs. What that means is that you may feel like you're eating more at your meals, but you are probably eating less snacks through the day. I've seen a lot of people on low/no carb that think they are eating more calories, but over the day/week, they are not. And as stated earlier, some of those eaten fat/protein calories are not burned. They are passed by the body in some way. (Example, with a lack of carbs in the bloodstream for energy, the body converts fat into ketones, and burns them for immediate fuel. That's why the low carb works--and cleans up the bloodwork heart-health numbers, by the way. Whereas unused carbs in the bloodstream get stored as fat, unused ketones exit through the ol' pee-stream. So, literally, the adage that you have to burn more calories than you eat is one of those generally-true-but-not-exactly statements.)

Especially if you want to work out and diet to reshape yourselves, find an old copy of "The TNT Diet" by Men's Health. Men's Health is NOT a good place to blindly follow, as they publish all kinds of plans from all kinds of folks, with all kinds of competing paradigms. But this one is solid. The scientific meta-studies are all in there, along with a detailed plan. It's why, what and how. If you can't find that, look for an open-source electronic copy of either "The Metabolic Diet" https://metabolicdiet.com/diets/the-metabolic-diet or its alternate name "The Anabolic Diet", which is the same principles, but came earlier with fewer meta-studies to prove the concepts. Note that both plans are much more effective with resistance training, and specifically recommend full body workouts. The reasons are in the books. Basically, full body resistance training works all the big muscles, burns more energy, and creates a heavier recovery load post-workout, which effectively raises the metabolism for a couple of days as the body puts energy into repairing those big muscle groups.

Also, after a month or so of no-carb to start, depending on your goals and personal needs, they move you to a carb cycling mode where you go no-carb for 5-6 days, and eat carbs 1-2 days a week. This flips some muscle-gain hormonal switches in the body that helps with muscle gain, whereas strict no-carb all the time decreases muscle-gaining hormonal response in the body. An added benefit is that these plans don't deprive you of carbs. They just get you to postpone them. It's been my experience that it makes no-carb life easier. I can tell myself that I'm not depriving myself, just postponing. Also, carbo-HYDRATES hydrate. Another benefit of carb cycling is, when you spend a day carbing up while gaining muscle, the carbo-hydrating swells the muscles and you look better for a couple of days. lol

Also, not sure I've seen it mentioned. If you are adding resistance training to diet (and you should), don't judge progress by weight. Muscle weighs more than fat. So as you lose fat and gain muscle, you may actually even GAIN weight while losing waistline. Change your eating habits. Give yourself some strain and sweat several times a week. Get plenty of sleep. Hydrate. Even if you don't go low/no carb, cut out stupid-calories like sodas, refined carbs, sugars... (Look into Glycemic Index/Glycemic Load diets if you don't think you can do no-carb. Slow-carb (low-GI) is also very good and super-healthy.)

I lost 75lbs about 25 years ago. I rarely do strict keto since then, but have greatly reduced carbs overall. When strict, I can't eat enough to gain, and always lose. The "calories in must be less than calories burnt" mentality is completely contrary to my experience.

I have known others who were not as successful on keto, but I'm sure it comes down to hormones. For those (like me) who are insulin dominant, keto just works. For those who aren't, it isn't nearly as helpful.
Also, congrats and great job!

Reactions: Volunteer821
How bout just a well balanced diet.

Instead of eating 3 scoops of mashed potatoes try just 1.

Instead of eating 2 cheeseburgers eat 1 cheeseburger.

And so on.

Drinking water is very helpful, since I had the kidney stone my tea intake is one 8 ounce glass per day and water rest of day.
Lemon in your water helps with reducing risk of kidney stones as well

And why should anybody fall for the "crisis" talking point that this UNLV thing is a big f'n deal because it might keep UNLV out of the playoffs?!! Really? 😂
The crisis will be if student athletes see playoffs as a great opportunity to go on strike against the billions of $$$s on the line for playoff broadcast. Remember FSU and the playoff? "Oh, they were a great team, but who wants to watch them get destroyed without their QB?"

So, we get the brackets set, and 1/4 of each team says, "You know, we don't think we're going to play without renegotiation."

The NCAA did this, by the way. It's not just the kids' fault. The NCAA's negligence and power-hunger created an environment where universities made under-the-table, verbal, no-written-contract NIL deals with no recourse for either the team or the student athlete. Now, thos deals are unravelling, as such deals usually do. See the pre-death-penalty SMU chaos from the 80s.

As such, UT's NIL health probably makes this much less of a danger for us and other who have followed our lead. The SAs will have very clearly defined contracts. Also, current culture appears to be better than excellent. So until this NIL thing is hammered out, this is probably another reason that UT will keep pacing ourselves as a leader.

My mom passed away tonight. She finally submitted to dementia. I’m almost 48 years old and somehow I just feel like a sad kid inside.
Sorry to hear that.

Having personal experience with Alzheimer’s, try to keep this in your mind: Her suffering is over. Remember her for who she was for the majority of your years, and not what she succumbed to. May that memory forever be a blessing to you.

Hope you have your loved ones near for comfort during this time. Prayers being sent your way.

My mom passed away tonight. She finally submitted to dementia. I’m almost 48 years old and somehow I just feel like a sad kid inside.
So sorry for your loss. My Mom is going through the fight with Dementia as well. Makes me so sad to see her falling a little further every day.

I still use a 1996 Kirk Currie putter, with a grip I’ve had on it for 20 odd years,

With that being said, I’m tinkering with mallets. I think it’s like 8/10 of the top players in the world use a mallet. Easier to aim and less “twisting” on off center hits (MOI- moment of inertia)

You can get really good pre-owned Odyssey 2-Ball, Odyssey White Hot Rossie, putters for around $50-$60.

There are two good putters that not many are familiar with that you can probably find cheap.
Never Compromise and Guerrin-Rife.
Second on Rife. The two-bar mallet is a very underrated design.

Man, I'm sorry. Been through that. It's a terrible disease. Have to take comfort that she's free of it. You'll be in my thoughts.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back